Planet of the Apes - movies and TV show General discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Very neat photographs. I have been to cloudster before, but only to get details of the ANSA outfits. I would LOVE to play with those instrument panels now. So FUN!!!!

Remember how funny looking Galen's mom is, from the TV series? I just noticed another funny-looking ape. He looks REALLY strange. I've been rewatching the Horse Race just to study Prefect Barlow, and there is a gorilla Captain there that has the longest nose ever--as long as Galen's mom and it looks FREAKY!!

Also, the Prefect in the very beginning...is he the same ape that stands beside Prefect Barlow (but in regular chimp clothing) towards the end of the movie, when we see Barlow sitting next to General Urko before the horse race begins? To me it seems like the same ape playing different characters.

Hello BB, I think there was a huge shing ding there last year or the year before. They were giving tours to celebrate the upcoming anniversary I think. PZ would know more on this though, he's our city's scribe. :)

Regarding those pictures, I wonder if they would have helped Snickertown while he was working on his new Icarus Spacecraft. I wonder how that came out. I would love to see some pics or that beauty. His Apes were very cool looking with the rooted hair. I wonder what he thinks of the new HT apes, and if he's even seen them. Where did he go? Hmmm, hopefully he got his computer fixed and still lurks about like our friend JJ Jungle Jom.

Still lurking, Sticks...

Not too much to say though, just like to see what is on my Ape friends are talking about.

Speaking of Lake Powell... One of my dreams is to see that place in person. It looks just breath taking! Well, one of these days...

Remember how funny looking Galen's mom is, from the TV series? I just noticed another funny-looking ape. He looks REALLY strange. I've been rewatching the Horse Race just to study Prefect Barlow, and there is a gorilla Captain there that has the longest nose ever--as long as Galen's mom and it looks FREAKY!!

Also, the Prefect in the very beginning...is he the same ape that stands beside Prefect Barlow (but in regular chimp clothing) towards the end of the movie, when we see Barlow sitting next to General Urko before the horse race begins? To me it seems like the same ape playing different characters.

I think he was the worst Gorilla of the series. He was just plain ugly!

I wonder if they extended his nose (his appliance is also colored differently from Urko's) to differentiate the same sculpt on two different people. He was also a really bad actor to boot.

I wonder if they extended his nose (his appliance is also colored differently from Urko's) to differentiate the same sculpt on two different people. He was also a really bad actor to boot.

I agree. I don't know who's idea it was to give him a lead part but he should have been a back ground Ape. Ugly and no talent!:rotfl

I wonder if the series lasted longer if they would have revisted the character of Aboro. He was cool!

Still lurking, Sticks...

Not too much to say though, just like to see what is on my Ape friends are talking about.

Speaking of Lake Powell... One of my dreams is to see that place in person. It looks just breath taking! Well, one of these days...

Hey, great to hear from you JJ, I hope you have a Happy New Year.

I drive my wife nuts with the inconsistencies of almost every show/film we watch that has them. Somehow though, the apes films escape that scrutiny. I just love to watch them.

With todays technology we might one day see it. Look how they've redone the Trek tv series effects.

Conquest was never my fave of t5he series, though I must admit to likingthe uncut version much more than the originally released version.

What about in the old Marvel/Curtis adaptation of Escape? Did it begin with the apes in space? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

EDIT: Ok, nevermind. I found mine and read the first part. Yep, lots with the ape-o-nauts, tons of dialogue and spaceship disaster stuff and a panel with the earth being consumed by a giant mushroom cloud that reaches way out into space. And then an extended sequence of the U.S. government's response to the space capsule's sudden re-entry into the 1970s atmosphere.

I doubt the SFX team could've pulled off the space sequence successfully given the film's budget and the technology at the time but it looks really awesome in comic book form!

Last edited:
What about in the old Marvel/Curtis adaptation of Escape? Did it begin with the apes in space? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? EDIT: Ok, nevermind. I found mine and read the first part. Yep, lots with the ape-o-nauts, tons of dialogue and spaceship disaster stuff and a panel with the earth being consumed by a giant mushroom cloud that reaches way out into space. And then an extended sequence of the U.S. government's response to the space capsule's sudden re-entry into the 1970s atmosphere.

I doubt the SFX team could've pulled off the space sequence successfully given the film's budget and the technology at the time but it looks really awesome in comic book form!

The old kid's book and record set had the space scene as well. Long before home video this was all we had to re-live the movies. Although, poor Dr Milo got erased completely from this version.

https://pota.goatley.com/power-records/potapr_escape_part1.pdf

I'd love to see the live action footage that was filmed...if it still exists.

Were these the Power Records? If so, Angel gave me the whole set of those. They are very enjoyable.

Still lurking, Sticks...

Hey Jom, if you happen to see this, here is an auction I thought, you'd be interested in seeing.
https://cgi.ebay.com/SIDESHOW-TOYS-...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:8|294:50

Did you ever finish your coffin?

Happy New Year to you, too... Sticks...

Thanks for the link to that ebay auction. I'd like to see where it ends up. If you remember my coffin was a little more complex...

Still have the film versions of the Power Records. Have both sets on CD. Great artwork. Not the most film accurate, but great stuff nonetheless.
And the old Marvel mags? I'll always enjoy the Terror story!!

Still have the film versions of the Power Records. Have both sets on CD. Great artwork. Not the most film accurate, but great stuff nonetheless.
And the old Marvel mags? I'll always enjoy the Terror story!!

Terror is awesome, at least the Mike Ploog-illustrated chapters. The weirdest Apes storyline ever. I also love any of the film adaptations with Alfredo Alcala's art, especially Beneath.

One of my favorite stories from the Marvel/Curtis mags is the one-off "Evolution's Nightmare." It used to give ME nightmares! And the closing captions that read something like "Circles. They repeat themselves. Circles. They stink."

For some reason, as a kid, I thought "circles" refered to the primitive cave apes and men at the end of the story. I used to get creeped out imagining them running around outside my bedroom window at night, saying the same things over and over. You know, repeating themselves. And smelling.

It didn't help matters that one of my brothers learned of this secret fear and exploited it whenever he felt the need to torture his little brother!

Between Ploog's Terror chapters and Bob Larkin's cover art I was HOOKED! It was a weirder tale but i certainly loved it. Alcala's art left me feeling kind of lacking though, not one of my faves.
I started making one of those little terror mutants years ago, I should see if i still have it.

JJ, your Dracula coffin came out great.

Anyone else getting the DS Mego Retro Apes?

Between Ploog's Terror chapters and Bob Larkin's cover art I was HOOKED! It was a weirder tale but i certainly loved it. Alcala's art left me feeling kind of lacking though, not one of my faves.
I started making one of those little terror mutants years ago, I should see if i still have it.

Yeah, I love Bob Larkin's covers. And also Earl Norem's more "painterly" ones. They're all so garish and wicked cool. I think my favorite two covers are the Larkin one (I think it's Larkin) on #5, with the gorillas about to ambush the wounded chimp and human and the Norem one where the gorilla is putting an extra part in a chimp's hair... bullet style.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Alcala, though. He's my fave. I'd love to see your mutant! You should make the gestalt brains! And someone really needs to do a Gunpowder Julius!

Back