Planet of the Apes - movies and TV show General discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, if the wall murals are there in conquest, does that mean that this location is ground zero for ape city in POTA?

I've always wondered about the city in Conquest and the Ape City in Battle. The original film's Ape City was not far from New York, but the city in Conquest and Battle appears to be a west coast metropolis. So it doesn't seem the Ape City of treehouses in Battle could possibly be the one of adobes in Planet.

In which case, how widespread is ape culture at its height? How did the Alpha/Omega bomb get from California to New York?

Realistically, I know it's supposed to be all one and the same and the producers just didn't give a damn. There weren't so many continuity hounds and fanatics back in those days to complain on the Internet about it. And as far as I know, the Internet was just on a few military or university computers back when Arthur P. Jacobs and company were churning out these flicks. But I'm a nut, so I think about these things constantly.

In Marvel's version, there were more ape cities and the mutants from Battle journeyed across the continent but as engaging as all of Marvel's little concepts were (except the Camelot of apes story which was just ridiculous), if it's not in the movies themselves I'm not sure I can buy that explanation. It seems overly complex and unlikely as well.

And that, my friends, is why I'd love a continuation of the original movie series. I've always wanted to see more of future Earth, and see if there were other human tribes or more ape villages and towns. And if there were even more horrible mutants living there.

Is there a jungle beyond the Forbidden Zone? How about a story that takes us there? The TV series only scratched the surface, and who knows how even that fits in with the films?

A radioactive carnivorous jungle. Stuff of ape nightmares.

That I'd love to see. Send some chimp botanists to catalog the flora and a few gorilla soldiers to protect them from the fauna and you've got yourself a little adventure story. Now if we could only get Doug Moench to write it and Mike Ploog to draw it...

That I'd love to see. Send some chimp botanists to catalog the flora and a few gorilla soldiers to protect them from the fauna and you've got yourself a little adventure story. Now if we could only get Doug Moench to write it and Mike Ploog to draw it...

Amen to that!! I'd love to see some new Ploog ape art!! Bob Larkin too for that matter.

Oh how I wish someone would put out a big fat phonebook-style reprint volume of the old Marvel/Curtis stuff! I asked Dark Horse and I asked that other company that was doing the new Apes comics and never got a reply. But a new series in that vein would hit the spot, too.

Hmmm. Three active POTA threads on the front page of this board and still no love shown for our own thread. And more than just 3-4 people posting on these threads also.

Oh how I wish someone would put out a big fat phonebook-style reprint volume of the old Marvel/Curtis stuff! I asked Dark Horse and I asked that other company that was doing the new Apes comics and never got a reply. But a new series in that vein would hit the spot, too.

I would love to see a graphic novel version of the complete Terror story. I have all the magazines but one place instead of 20 + issues would be easier. And a decently colored variation issue would be nice. :D

Did you get the 2 issues Malibu/Adventure or whatever that company was called put out? Too bad they didn't survive long enough to put out a trade. I have their Marvel PotA and Beneath reprints. I'm much more comfortable reading those than wrinkling up my old Curtis mags.

I don't feel they even have to do deluxe archival "omnibus" versions. Just clean, readable "Marvel Essentials" style books that are affordable and give you the whole story in one place.

I have a few scattered POTA comics from the late 90's (?)
that didn't impress me. I never was able to get the Revolution series and would love to see someone with a plethora of money, offer it to moench, Ploog and Larkin to give us one BIG, PHANTASMAGORIC, CHOCK FULL OF STORY & ART, new apes chapter.

I thought the Adventure/Malibu originals were pretty abyssmal. I just dug that they were reprinting the Marvel stuff. I mean "Apenation?" Where they crossed Apes with AlienNation? Puhleeeeze. And some storyline where Gov. Breck's spirit came back and caused a lot of trouble. Ghosts? On the Planet of the Apes? Thanks, but no thanks.

I think I saw part of the Revolution series. Nice try. I wish someone would put the money into the rights to the classic characters during the timeframe of the movies themselves, though. Moench and those guys would do something insane, I'm sure. When you think about it, in the movies and the comics they barely scratched the surface (or much beneath, for that matter) in terms of the setting. I want to see some classic movie-style gorillas, not apes in jumpsuits flying jet planes and whatnot.

Back