Photography

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should be exactly the same JC. The memory card inside the camera looks just like any other removable drive (USB drive).

Yes, if nothing else you can take the memory card out and buy an USB adapter to plug the card into, and then download the photos to your computer.

Alright guys, I'm gonna be getting the Rebel XSi in about a month or so and I'm extremely excited as this is gonna be my first DSLR camera, so I'm trying to read as much as I can about DSLR photography and my future new camera....

So I'm hoping to get some input from you guys as well...What do I have to look forward to? What accessories should I buy with my camera, etc...and also..Is there is a huge difference in picture quality between the DIGI III and DIGI 4 processor in the XTi1?....

Thanks in advance guys and any advice and input would be greatly appreciated. :)

All i can say is prepare to go broke if you want nice gear. you may definitely want to invest in a better lens, maybe an external flash unit depending on how you will shoot.

As for Xsi vs T1i, i dont think there is any real difference besides the T1i having a higher resolution screen, video recording capabilities, and a higher megapixel count. Keep in mind that youre going to be working with 15mp files that are huge to keep on your computer, and if you dont have a fast computer it's going to be a b*tch to post-process because of the larger file size.

Last edited:
No believe me, I'm planning on sticking with the kit lens for a long time as I'm barely scrounging the money together for the camera kit :lol

Yeah, I figured that the 12mp is gonna be more than enough for me and a big enough step up from my 8mp powershot....

You may want to check out the canon g9 or g10 if you have a chance.

The XSi is the better camera image quality-wise over the the T1i, which crams even more pixels into the same sized sensor. Densely-packed pixels contribute to more noise, which cancels out the benefit of higher resolution. 10-12mp is the sweet spot for APS-C sized sensors, you really don't need more than that.

These days you can't go wrong with whatever DSLR you choose.. concern yourself more with how comfortable the camera feels in your hands. This is very important. The lenses make the biggest difference in image quality.

I once had the G9, and once you've tried an SLR, you would not want to go back to something with slow autofocus, and poor low light performance as your main gear. All compacts in general are slower and less capable than SLRs, except in "easy" conditions, like being outdoors in broad daylight.

There is a G11 is coming out soon, and this time it's 10mp with a flip out LCD.
https://www.engadget.com/2009/08/19/canon-powershot-g11-hands-on/

So, my best advice to you is to stick with your kit lens, and do research on the lenses that best fit your photographic style. Look at Amazon for sample images from each lens. I've been in that same boat for over a year.. I want something with a wider aperture than the kit lens F3.5 so that I can shoot faster and more naturally in low light.. the lower the F number, the better. 2.8, 1.8, 1.4, etc.

Alright guys, I'm gonna be getting the Rebel XSi in about a month or so and I'm extremely excited as this is gonna be my first DSLR camera, so I'm trying to read as much as I can about DSLR photography and my future new camera....

So I'm hoping to get some input from you guys as well...What do I have to look forward to? What accessories should I buy with my camera, etc...and also..Is there is a huge difference in picture quality between the DIGI III and DIGI 4 processor in the XTi1?....

Thanks in advance guys and any advice and input would be greatly appreciated. :)

Also remember that using a DSLR is like using a film camera, you need to set shot and then take the picture meaning shutterspeed, apperature etc, unless you use auto then it does it for you but anyway, it's not like the small digital cameras that you can see the pic in the viewfinder. You see the picture after you take it. Read the manual. most likely where the reticles turn green the shot is good, if they are red then it's bad. You'll get frustrated but keep at it and you will do fine.

I have a 70-300mm lens and I love it. I use it for my wildlife shots, although ideally a bigger lens is needed for wildlife. However, 75-300mm is a good range but you'll also want to buy a smaller lens for indoors shots of parties or people.

I have a 70-300mm lens and I love it. I use it for my wildlife shots, although ideally a bigger lens is needed for wildlife. However, 75-300mm is a good range but you'll also want to buy a smaller lens for indoors shots of parties or people.

Well, I'm starting to think that maybe I should just stick with the kit lens for now (18-55mm) learn how to take good pics with it and buy a better lens later on down the line...

I once had the G9, and once you've tried an SLR, you would not want to go back to something with slow autofocus, and poor low light performance as your main gear. All compacts in general are slower and less capable than SLRs, except in "easy" conditions, like being outdoors in broad daylight.

So, my best advice to you is to stick with your kit lens, and do research on the lenses that best fit your photographic style. Look at Amazon for sample images from each lens. I've been in that same boat for over a year.. I want something with a wider aperture than the kit lens F3.5 so that I can shoot faster and more naturally in low light.. the lower the F number, the better. 2.8, 1.8, 1.4, etc.

Funny you mentioned that because the kit lens on the Xsi is slow to focus and has poor low light performance.

Imo if he's not planning to upgrade with better lens and gear any time soon, what is the use of going full out DSLR? Youre spending DSLR money but not getting true DSLR performance.

Funny you mentioned that because the kit lens on the Xsi is slow to focus and has poor low light performance.

Imo if he's not planning to upgrade with better lens and gear any time soon, what is the use of going full out DSLR? Youre spending DSLR money but not getting true DSLR performance.

No believe me, I plan on upgrading to a better lens down the line...I wanna take full advantage of DSLR...For now I'm just gonna get use to the camera, the kit lens etc, research other lenses and upgrade later.

No believe me, I plan on upgrading to a better lens down the line...I wanna take full advantage of DSLR...For now I'm just gonna get use to the camera, the kit lens etc, research other lenses and upgrade later.

That's a good idea i guess since it is definitely different than just using a point and shoot. How much is the Xsi going for now that the T1i is out...like $400?

That's a good idea i guess since it is definitely different than just using a point and shoot. How much is the Xsi going for now that the T1i is out...like $400?
It's going for around $700, depends where you find it...I found one online for $639.

So as you guys know I've been leaning towards the rebel XSi for the past couple weeks, but now I'm starting to find out that the XS is just as good and for about 100 dollars less...

So my question is...Which is the better camera for me, the XSi or the XS? Is the image quality really that much better in the XSi than the XS or is it the same? and will I tell much difference between the 10mp and the 12 mp? Should I save my money and buy the XS and use the rest to invest in a better lens?

So any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated guys :)

:lol I hear ya, but this is for talking about photography also right? I just need some advice..

Back