PF Frodo sold out!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took longer to sell 1000 Balrogs at a 20% higher price. And every single person who blew $300 on that one is kicking themselves right about now...

I am glad I am one of the lucky ones to have ordered Frodo . The ES is still not a factor for me . This was my first Frodo in my collection and I am excited about that !

Yup, you guys are correct. It took a really long time for several of the big time pieces to sell out so that says nothing really as to how popular a piece is or will be.;)

That was before Sideshow was a massively popular company, and before people knew all that much about Lord of the Rings collecting. This PF and the Balrog are two completely different monsters.

In the end I believe these will be the same as far as gaining popularity. The PF pieces are amazing in every way and once folks get a chance to get Lurtz and Frodo I think this line will take off.

HighElven said:
That was before Sideshow was a massively popular company, and before people knew all that much about Lord of the Rings collecting. This PF and the Balrog are two completely different monsters.

That doesn't matter. I consider myself an expert on aftermarket pricing, and I see Frodo holding it's value quite well. It may not hold during the initial flood, but it definitely will over the long haul.

People knew about Gentle Giant when Clone Wars Padme came out (another 1000 ES piece) and it took weeks to sell out. The same thing is true with the Dewback.

People knew about Master Replicas when the Ep. IV Obi-Wan saber came out, and they were selling on the aftermarket for $200 for a while.

The key isn't the company, it's the start of a new line. This is the 2nd LOTR PF released, and PF's seem to be getting very popular recently. The first releases in new lines seem to take a while to catch on in terms of aftermarket value, but they end up being some of the most valuable when people go back to complete their set. Frodo will become valuable when people need to complete their Fellowship.

That being said, I expect Merry and Pippin to be limited to 500-750 as they are even less popular than Frodo. SS should make them ultra limited and site exclusives.

I don't thinks Merry and Pippin should be site exclusives but 750 does sound about right. I'm just curios as to why there's no exclusive with Frodo and what percentage of PF's will have exclusives in the LOTR line.

Darth Loki said:
I don't thinks Merry and Pippin should be site exclusives.

Sideshow makes signficantly more money on site exclusives, because they can sell them at full price. If the ES is 750, AND they sell a bunch of them wholesale, then the profit margin is pretty low. A site exclusive allows SS to keep the run low, and still make money on a particular piece.

An exclusive run of 500 versus a regular run of 750 probably has profits that are pretty similar. I don't have enough info in terms of how much these figures cost to manufacture in order to make an exact calculation.

Certainly if Sideshow makes a profit by selling figures to dealers at 60% of retail, then the actual production cost must be signficantly lower than that. The profit margin is pretty high when exclusives are sold at 100% of retail.

"The profit margin is pretty high when exclusives are sold at 100% of retail."

I know how the business model works. It's how my company works. My point was that, it seems no matter what the product or quantity, nothing of late has been a site exclusive. Even the X-3 maquettes were available to retailers with edition sizes of only 300. I like this model a lot better because it saves me money on non-exclusives. I'm still debating on cancelling my Exc. Lurtz and getting a regular from Bob to save $50 because I don't think I'd ever display him with the bow.

Last edited by a moderator:
elwood and others, you have your opinion and I have mine... Plus the pieces mentioned actually look good. The body and base are awesome, but the face is way off.:chew

I think that the PF format hasn't quite caught on yet, but other companies have started jumping on the band wagon and I do believe it will become as popular as statues eventually. When that happens then even poor Frodo's after market price will rise. But it could take a while.

Darklord Dave said:
I think that the PF format hasn't quite caught on yet, but other companies have started jumping on the band wagon and I do believe it will become as popular as statues eventually. When that happens then even poor Frodo's after market price will rise. But it could take a while.

I agree, especially for LOTR. But only because nothing has come out yet. Once these start shipping and people realize how amazing they are, it'll be a whole different story.

And by the way, I haven't seen him at any e-tailers this weekend so I guess he's officialy sold out. Get on the Wait List fellas.

PF is upcoming that's for sure and worth getting in on as well. I'll admit I love the aspect of having statues with the clothing more than I ever thought I would.

I agree in theory with what elwood posted, that said however I take issue with the following:

1) I think the PF Frodo will end up being much like the PF Luke, I have the Luke, love the Luke, and wish I could convince everyone about the Luke; but he just doesn't seem to be going up anytime soon. Luke and Frodo are analogous because they are both central to their respective stories, ES not withstanding, I am not expecting this one to command big $$$.

2) People's initial reactions are everthing, Lurtz - sure he is headed upward, but there is just too much "bad press" for Frodo.

I personally like the Frodo PF, I wouldn't say it is perfect - but what is (Obi-Wan is sure close!)?

Just my .02 :monkey3

Its very early days yet in this line and many things remain to been seen, when the lovely LURTZ is in hand i think the outlook will change for the better for PF frodo.

LOTRFan said:
1) I think the PF Frodo will end up being much like the PF Luke, I have the Luke, love the Luke, and wish I could convince everyone about the Luke; but he just doesn't seem to be going up anytime soon. Luke and Frodo are analogous because they are both central to their respective stories, ES not withstanding, I am not expecting this one to command big $$$.

On the contrary, I belive Frodo will increase in price because you are missing the point that Luke was produced 2,500 pieces plus 500 pieces of exclusive whereas, Frodo is only 1000. :rolleyes:

Another point is if Luke was in his black jedi suit, it would not be in this position for nobody wants to have a farmer boy without lightsaber

I don't think that's entirely true. I love the pose, it's one of my favorite shots in that movie. It's the likeness that really kills that piece and why I don't have it and doubt I will. The ES of Frodo alone will keep his value at least around where he's selling at.

Back