PF Frodo sold out!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tremulant

Freakzoid
Reaction score
I wonder if because the low edition everyone freaked out and ordered it.

I didnt. Freak out I mean. I ordered it a looong time ago.

Yes Im one of those who likes it:rolleyes:

Do people order things because of the edition size or because it's something they genuinely want? I know there was a lot of complaining about the likeness of this piece.

tremulant said:
I wonder if because the low edition everyone freaked out and ordered it.

I don't think so, I have actually just checked this statue on the Sideshow website barely 12 hours ago to see what's happening with it and the Edition Size was still "To Be Determined".

I assume that Sideshow set the edition size according to the orders they had gotten to that point and the number of orders were probably pretty close (or evene slightly above) 1000 pieces at that time.

Batty said:
Do people order things because of the edition size or because it's something they genuinely want?

Of course there are always people that just order for the very reason to make a quick buck on a "rare" item - but I have to say it hasn't worked out too great for them lately...:eek:

goliath said:
I assume that Sideshow set the edition size according to the orders they had gotten to that point and the number of orders were probably pretty close (or evene slightly above) 1000 pieces at that time.

I on the other hand believe that SS is closing the order list manually and changing the status of any item (the item which they are not happy with) to "wait list" by this way they gather the interest of people. Same thing happened with Iron man comiquette also. There were more than 50 pieces for 2-3 weeks and suddenly in 1 day all of them sold out :rotfl

regarding Batty's question: I also get in the wait list today but this was not for the edition size but I was expecting to buy it from ebay, however, due to low edition size I get on the wait list and I belive that I will be buying frodo from SS

I do think it's interesting that the same night that they announce the edition size--it sells out, and not only at Sideshow, but at other retailers as well. I checked Razors' Edge, and they had it in stock when the newsletter went up. A few hours later, it's gone. It's also gone by now at Fireside, Dark Shadow, Most Wanted, etc. Some of the people thinking they would wait a bit to pick up this piece might end up missing out...

I got one at Razor's Edge last night. I was hoping for a larger edition size so I could grab if for around $150 but at only 1000, I don't think that's going to happen.

I guarantee that it was because of the ES. We knew this would happen with all the folks that bitched about this piece when it went up. I said then when the ES comes out and it's like 1k pieces that people would be flocking to get it.

I think it was more people like me. On the fence because $250 seemed steep for a guy that's only 10" tall. I would never order this from SS and was hoping to get it cheaper than $200 but I at least feel confident that I could sell it and make a profit with the low ES.

Selling out had nothing to do with the edition size! From the newsletter:

Sideshow said:
We'd like to announce that our Frodo Premium Format figure's edition size has been set at 1,000 pieces worldwide and the last items have just sold through! Out! If you are kicking yourself for waiting too long and missing out on the pre-order, we suggest signing up for his Wait List as soon as possible, as any canceled orders will be fulfilled from these reservations on a first come, first served basis!

So it was listed as sold out when the edition size was announced! I agree with gambit... I've seen it in the past also, sometimes something just suddenly sells out and it has to be that Sideshow just decided to pull the plug.

goliath said:
Of course there are always people that just order for the very reason to make a quick buck on a "rare" item - but I have to say it hasn't worked out too great for them lately...:eek:
I know this happens all the time. I was wondering if people buy for their collection because of ES. I'm sure no one would admit to it.

Batty said:
I know this happens all the time. I was wondering if people buy for their collection because of ES. I'm sure no one would admit to it.
I will admit that I have bought two pieces just because of their limitied Edition Size: the Newborn Uruk-Hai (500 pcs.) and the Watcher in the Water (750 pcs.). I really thought I had to have them because they were so "rare".

Once I had them, they lost their appeal and they had to go again... :eek:

I think that the ES of any collectible does play a decisive role whether we admit it or not - who would not like to be one of only XX persons in the world to have a rare item?

The ES didn't and would never influence if I wanted an item, but it certainly did influence when I would get it ordered. Just happened with Juggernaut too. I always new I wanted it but with such low ES's I knew I had to jump on them from retailers.

Its a good edition size for a LOTR PF. But now I wonder. Since this edition size is good will the next Figure have a high edition size because more people will order thinking it will be rare? This is what happened with the WETA stuff. They got so many orderes and once the edition was annouced at 5000+ everyone canceled thinking they cant make money off it, or they can get it cheaper somewhere else. Supply & Demand. It doesn't work. Because the lower the supply the higher the demand. But I think SS has figured it out.

Darth Loki said:
The ES didn't and would never influence if I wanted an item, but it certainly did influence when I would get it ordered. Just happened with Juggernaut too. I always new I wanted it but with such low ES's I knew I had to jump on them from retailers.

Yup, the ES has never influenced me if I wanted an item just how quickly I made sure to get my order in on something I wanted. Now, let the scamble begin and the complaints to start that they missed it because they didn't like it but now do because the ES is low.:rolleyes:

Frodo's been on order for well over a month. Anyone who bitches about not getting one has no one to blame but themselves.

Darth Loki said:
Frodo's been on order for well over a month. Anyone who bitches about not getting one has no one to blame but themselves.

I agree but it will happen.

But to imagine that most on the wait-list won't be able to get this is VERY premature, I am sure that many will be happy with the results. :D

I do however hope that the future pieces in the LOTR PF line start small and stay small.

Congrats to everyone who got this piece!!! I really didn't like it, so I passed. But, I do this with everything I get....not really affected by the ES...If I like it, I get it....end of story.

I agree keep the ES reasonable. None of the 9500 ES that is well more than the number of fans collecting.

Back