PF Frodo Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ifu03612 said:
Im in the UK and got the shipping notice on Wednesday night, I can't imagine it being much longer, Goliath got his earlier and he's further away

thanks
Colin

Oh, just to clarify, I didn't get mine from the EU warehouse. I had one delivered to the US from Sideshow and forwarded him here, a second one I bought from a board member in the US.

Re: PF Frodo repaint final pics with eyes

Well here is the final result. I went back a tried to highlight the mandibular angles to widen the face again and it is a little better. I improved the eyes but did not completely overhaul them and I am satisfied with them now. Mookylama's observation that his upper lip / philtrum is a little too long and the nose a little two narrow are both right on but nothing short of a resculpt will fix those.

I think this is the most Elijah I can wring out of this sculpt.

What do you think?

Steve

131646175-L.jpg

131646182-L.jpg

131646188-L.jpg

131646194-L.jpg

131646210-L.jpg

Re: PF Frodo repaint final pics with eyes

I know we get a little touchy about this subject on this board so:

that should have been "too narrow"

not "two narrow" :eek:

Sorry!

Steve:

ahoudini said:
I agree with MookeyLama completely. Seeing this much better diorama likeness reaffirms my criticisms of the PF likeness, especially the width of the face at the angles of the mandible (Maria Shriver-like) and the need to see the entire roundness of his irises, unlike almost anyone else you can think of except, perhaps, Marty Feldman ("What hump?"). The Chinese painters, having been taught that the upper third of the iris hides under the upper lid painted Mr. Wood's eyes that way. This usually reliable rule does not apply to him, however, as a quick flip through his photos will reveal: his eyes are so unusual because you see the entire iris even when his eyes are at rest. Interestingly, the painters of the much smaller Cracks of Doom diorama got him right and I think a lot of the improvement in the likeness comes from this one feature. They also got the unusual shape of his brows right, but that was easy to correct on the PF with a little brown paint. I am now committed to repainting the eyes on my PF Frodo and I will post the photos when I am done. Thanks, MookeyLama, for posting the diorama photo.

Steve Harris

hey no problem. glad i'm not the only one to see it. i'm sure u'll make it better Steve.

edit: and just saw that u did! looks much better, but alas, that's about all that can be done w/ a repaint. wonder how feasable it'd be to pick up a PF and send it to a sculptor to commission a resculpt?

that repaint looks much better Steve, good work. You're right though, to get as much change as people would like it'd need to be resculpted, but what you've done there has certainly made it better! :)

If i collected this piece for myself, I'd absolutely be seeing what I could do with a resculpt to make this look more like Elijah.... but as I don't... I'm not gonna bother spending the usual days/weeks of looking at reference photos to see what needs doing lol.... It may not even be possible, I dont know.. without looking at the pics I wouldn't know what needed doing to it.

Good paint job though! :cool:

I'll ask again..to those who have him already-how much of the clothing actually comes off? Thinking of making a new cloak as well as a re-sculpt now as the bit round the neck looks too doll-like/big to me.
To the sculptors out there...do you think if the lips were filed out and repositioned higher(to lessen the gap between nose and lip)then adjust the jawline to compensate..the neck would look too long?Advice would be appreciated.

Erm not too sure about Clothes bit scared to try tbh.

I wouldn't touch any of the more expensive pieces with a repaint or a resculpt.

I had to paint a picture of Robert Burns on burns night that the Class had blown up into a big poster. I learnt the hard way that no matter how much white you add to red paint doesn't make it any lighter so I painted it bright red and got a rolicking from the teacher!!!!

I am still haunted by it today

For sure, it's the first time he has seen anyone who actually has the WHITE one! :horror

;)

gambit said:
I do not know about the sword but I cracked the back of the left feet of my Frodo

Today I received him. I was so excited to fit it to the base and I push so much and it cracked :monkey4

Is is really difficult for SS to have a proper quality control system?

I had it super glued but I was really angry with SS and myself for a while

anyway, I am happy to see thta he is much more better than I have expected, there is no lazy eye issue with him as well

I love PF LOTR line even if it is only 1 statue per year
649 /1000

I just got my Frodo PF yesterday and EXACTLY what happened to gambit, happened to me. When I tried to apply pressure to the pegs, the heel of his left foot completely snapped off. You cannot believe the fit of anger I had when it happened. I was so angry at myself for not being so careful.

So now here I am wondering what to do with it. Should I send it back and wait three weeks for a replacement? Or should I try to attempt to super glue it the best way possible?

If I go with the latter, would Gorilla Glue work? I hear it's the best.

*sighs* :monkey2 :monkey2

That is awful Boba, so sorry to hear that. Do you have all the pieces, i.e. did anything chip off or was it a clean break? Actually it isn't that hard of a fix likely, you will need some epoxy putty and superglue. The painting won't be too hard either - and fortunately for you it is in the back.

The feet can be tricky, I have had two of these and one didn't quite sit flush on the base.

Yeah, I have all the pieces, but some of it got flaked off. I guess I may have to go to a hobby store and find some epoxy putty and paint to see if I can make it work.

I'll try the Gorilla Glue and see if it just as good as superglue.

And yes, the feet are tricky. I don't see how you can possibly get those feet inside without applying pressure to the base. I even wiggled it around a bit so it can slip inside snug, but no go. It just remained as is with a large gap around the peg. When I pushed it down again, that is when it snapped off.

Careful with the Gorilla Glue. A little goes a long way. Gorilla Glue tends to expand when drying so it may creep out through the crack of the heel, if you apply too much. (it can be sanded, if needed, though.) Use sparingly.

Boba Fett said:
I don't see how you can possibly get those feet inside without applying pressure to the base. I even wiggled it around a bit so it can slip inside snug, but no go. It just remained as is with a large gap around the peg. When I pushed it down again, that is when it snapped off.

deja-vu

I just live the moment that I broke mine when I read above :)

Sorry to hear Boba,

Boba Fett said:
Yeah, I have all the pieces, but some of it got flaked off. I guess I may have to go to a hobby store and find some epoxy putty and paint to see if I can make it work.

Just make sure you get acrylic paints, and check the "repair polystone" thread if you want to know of a few boardmembers who may be able to help - I actually might myself. REPAIR THREAD

I recommend some pics, so at the very least we can coach you through it.

:D

Thanks for the support, everyone! Like a precise surgeon on an operating table, I went to work on Frodo with some Gorilla Glue, tweezers, rubber bands, toothpicks, and a lint-free cloth to wipe off any excess glue.

Success, everybody.

The left heel is back on and you can hardly see the crack. I will get rid of it for good with a little sandpaper and some paint. The flake is on the bottom of the heel, so there is really no need for any epoxy putty. I'm not that anal about it, as long as you can't see it. The rubber bands are wrapped tightly to keep it clamped for now, but will be removed after I let it sit overnight. I'll keep a lookout for any excess glue that seeps from the heel.

Pics to come soon. :)

Mine finally arrived.
It looks great, a fine addition to the PF line !

Some more pictures:

_IMG_0621.JPG

_IMG_0616.JPG

_IMG_0576.JPG

_IMG_0585.JPG

_IMG_0615.JPG

_IMG_0596.JPG
_IMG_0627.JPG

Back