PF Frodo Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jen said:
I've yet to see a LOTR figure that surpasses the awesomeness of Lurtz....and Gothmog on the Warg was damn impressive as well.

Damn right. Gothmog is a fantastic piece, don't understand why it isn't more popular ...
The Warg looks amazing ... My favourite rider & steed piece after the ringwraith!

"After" photos of my (slightly) repainted Frodo PF

I changed the shape of the brows, changed the shape and color of his lower lip, emphasized the prominence of his lower lids by darkening the shadows under them, darkened the cleft in his chin and at the corners of his mouth, added color to his cheeks, suggested the furrows between his brows, darkened the inside of his mouth, and, though it doesn't show in these photos, fixed his godforsaken toenails!

I think he also needs a wider face, particularly at the angles of his mandible (I tried to highlight this area but I could not make it work) and his lids need to cover less of his irises. His eyes should be a brighter blue, also. I am working up the courage to tackle these last two, as I really think they are important to the likeness, but will mean essentially repainting his eyes from scratch.

Overall, I feel the likeness is truly better now, but not as much as I had hoped.

What do you think?

131343235-L.jpg

131343285-L.jpg

131343388-L.jpg

Steve Harris

Looks great, Steve ! :monkey5 Much better.
I always thought PF Frodo's nose is a little small and the distance between
his upper lip and nose is too far. What do you think?

lakeshouse said:
what kind of compliment is that ?? :lol

Haven't bought the PF Frodo and after everything I've seen and heard, I won't be. Wouldn't it be better if all those unhappy with the face, and who are considering to re-paint, or have someone else re-paint his face be better off shipping it back to SS? To let SS know you don't appreciate paying your hard-earned money for something that is below the quality you expect.
They had to know there were some quality control issue's with this statue, prior to shipping them out, yet it appears they shipped them out anyways.
If we as LOTR collectors let them off the hook with Frodo, what will prevent this from happening sometime in the future?
I was really looking forward to the PF line, and after receiving my PF exclusive Lurtz [ which is unbelievably good, and I now consider in my top 3 or 4 statues] I could hardly wait for the next announcement. Needless to say, my enthusiasum has been curbed somewhat since then.

Re: "After" photos of my (slightly) repainted Frodo PF

ahoudini said:
I changed the shape of the brows,
131343285-L.jpg

Steve Harris

Fantastic job, Steve. Just the thinning down of the "Groucho Marx" eyebrows made a world of a difference.

I can certainly see a difference in the eyebrows and the mouth, but the lighting doesn't really let me appreciate much of the other changes.

Looks good.

Jen said:
I love my PF Frodo in his velvety pants! I thought the likeness to Elijah Wood was pretty good....much better than the polystone figure they had out earlier. I've yet to see a LOTR figure (PF, 12 inch, polystone) based on a human (or elf....or hobbit) that looked spot on. I'm not an artist, but human looking figures must be all the more difficult, because all the orcs, goblins, trolls, etc. are perfect. I've yet to see a LOTR figure that surpasses the awesomeness of Lurtz....and Gothmog on the Warg was damn impressive as well.

best Wood likeness there is AND it's like 1/8th scale!

9713_press08-001.jpg

the PF's face needs to be wider at the jaw/cheeks, less distance between upper lip and nose, wider nostrils, eyebrows slanting upward:eek: (this would look better for the expression chosen IMO). sadly, i don't think a repaint'll help it much. it needs a reworked sculpt.

lakeshouse said:
Hey Fritz, no detailed review this time? :frodo :sancho

What can I say? I'm lazy! Honestly, it just takes too much time and I'm not getting paid for it so why bother. :p Plus, I didn't have an XBox 360 when I did the other more full reviews. :D

My PF Frodo is on the way from the Eu warehouse

should be here tommorow

Can't wait

Colin

Mine arrived today, here he is with his cousin Frodinho:

PFFrodo_01.jpg

PFFrodo_02.jpg

Sorry for the mediocre picture quality, it's late and I'm tired. :eek:

I agree with MookeyLama completely. Seeing this much better diorama likeness reaffirms my criticisms of the PF likeness, especially the width of the face at the angles of the mandible (Maria Shriver-like) and the need to see the entire roundness of his irises, unlike almost anyone else you can think of except, perhaps, Marty Feldman ("What hump?"). The Chinese painters, having been taught that the upper third of the iris hides under the upper lid painted Mr. Wood's eyes that way. This usually reliable rule does not apply to him, however, as a quick flip through his photos will reveal: his eyes are so unusual because you see the entire iris even when his eyes are at rest. Interestingly, the painters of the much smaller Cracks of Doom diorama got him right and I think a lot of the improvement in the likeness comes from this one feature. They also got the unusual shape of his brows right, but that was easy to correct on the PF with a little brown paint. I am now committed to repainting the eyes on my PF Frodo and I will post the photos when I am done. Thanks, MookeyLama, for posting the diorama photo.

Steve Harris

woodsy said:
Haven't bought the PF Frodo and after everything I've seen and heard, I won't be. Wouldn't it be better if all those unhappy with the face, and who are considering to re-paint, or have someone else re-paint his face be better off shipping it back to SS? To let SS know you don't appreciate paying your hard-earned money for something that is below the quality you expect.
They had to know there were some quality control issue's with this statue, prior to shipping them out, yet it appears they shipped them out anyways.
If we as LOTR collectors let them off the hook with Frodo, what will prevent this from happening sometime in the future?
I was really looking forward to the PF line, and after receiving my PF exclusive Lurtz [ which is unbelievably good, and I now consider in my top 3 or 4 statues] I could hardly wait for the next announcement. Needless to say, my enthusiasum has been curbed somewhat since then.

I appreciate those collectors who have the creativity to make adjustments to the pieces they buy. Or know people who can do that for them. I, for one, lack the creativity and knowledge to tackle resculpting or repainting any pieces, nor do I know anyone to do that for me or want to spend the additional money to enlist someone's service. So I'm forced to buy solely on Sideshow's artistic abilities, and they've missed the mark on this piece, IMO. I have not bought this, nor do I ever plan to.

Back