Petition for a HT Johnny Cash

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy Johnny Cash?

• Ofcourse. C'mon Hot Toys!!

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • No, I wouldn't.

Votes: 42 58.3%

• Total voters
The Rolling Stones were watered down second-handers who never would have had a career if they didn't have The Beatles to follow.
Then why is it that thier music sounds much more like Rock an Roll than what the Beatles did? Why is it that the type of music they did doesn't sound a thing like the Rock that followed for 40 years?

This is exactly what I'd expect to hear from someone who sees MJ's contribution to culture as profound. In fact, it was just a reflection of the weaker values of the world in the wake of the orgy of non-talent and degeneracy that was the late 70's.
Non-talent in the late 70s? The late 70s was the best time for Rock. Boston, The Eagles, BOC, Elton John, Lynyrd Skynyrd? All amazing stuff.

The Beatles' contribution to music was revolutionary on par with Beethoven. They were probably the greatest melodists since Mozart, and the energy they brought to pop music was greater than anything anyone had ever dreamed of (certainly more than Jackson ever did).
Energy? Yea, when I hear "Let it Be" or "Hey Jude" it always energizes me enough to make me want to get up and dance. Much more than Jackson's "Beat It" and "Billie Jean" do.

The last years of their career (starting with Sgt. Pepper's) produced the most original, culturally significant, and intellectually challenging songs ever. They were so far ahead that people today still don't get it.
Intillectually Challenging? Haha. Most of thier later stuff was the mental brain farts that come out of the bewildered mind of someone that has done enough drugs to kill a rhino.

And if they are still so far ahead that people don't even realize it today, then how do you?

Classic rock is a slow kid's Beatles. Notice how most of it came from the American South. :lol
Whats that supposed to mean?

Philanthropy is the best way to squander a fortune.
So are drugs and self important vanity projects. Didn't stop the Beatles.

The reality is that MJ was a man who catered to trends on a global scale. He was an empty shell begging for acceptance, and he got it. Cash, The Beatles, and many others were visionaries and creators. Jackson was a cipher.
Jackson didnt cater to trends. Before Jackson came along the general music trends were either R&B for black people and Heavy Rock for white people. Jackson combined all of the musical genres out there and produced something brand new. Something that continues to inspire artists to this day.
Also he completly revolutionized the presentation of that music live, which at that point was almost an afterthought to performers. To him the way that the music was presented was almost important as the music itself, so he added the dancing and showmanship to highlight it.

Meanwhile with the Beatles, there was............more than one of them?

Seriously instead of getting your history from a dollies message board why not do a bit of research and find out the truth. Start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles%27_influence_on_popular_culture

or here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Beatles%27_record_sales
After reading both of those, they seem to be more lists of refrences to the Beatles in pop culture, rather than things that they inspired.
And the only things they did actually influence pop culture with are all long since out of date (mp top cuts, beatle boots)

Then why is it that thier music sounds much more like Rock an Roll than what the Beatles did? Why is it that the type of music they did doesn't sound a thing like the Rock that followed for 40 years?

It sounded better. It had more power, and it had more class. So did the real heirs to the musical revolutions of the 50's and 60's: Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Frank Zappa, etc.

You know, people with musical integrity and stuff.

Non-talent in the late 70s? The late 70s was the best time for Rock. Boston, The Eagles, BOC, Elton John, Lynyrd Skynyrd? All amazing stuff.

Thank you for making my case for me.

Energy? Yea, when I hear "Let it Be" or "Hey Jude" it always energizes me enough to make me want to get up and dance. Much more than Jackson's "Beat It" and "Billie Jean" do.

Energy was definitely the easiest from the list to challenge, I'll give you that. But if you think there's more energy in Beat It than there is in Day Tripper, I Feel Fine, Taxman, or Helter Skelter...do you even know how to dance?

Intillectually Challenging? Haha. Most of thier later stuff was the mental brain farts that come out of the bewildered mind of someone that has done enough drugs to kill a rhino.

Says you.

And if they are still so far ahead that people don't even realize it today, then how do you?

I said most people.

Whats that supposed to mean?

Forward historical motion is not the same as evolution.

So are drugs and self important vanity projects. Didn't stop the Beatles.

If MJ had a shred of ego to his name, he wouldn't have butchered and then poisoned himself. The Beatles chose to have one and make music that they knew was good. And they were right.

Ironically, with all of the drugs that Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, and Starr did--combined--none of it was enough to carve their face up or live off a needle like it was mother's milk.

Jackson didnt cater to trends. Before Jackson came along the general music trends were either R&B for black people and Heavy Rock for white people. Jackson combined all of the musical genres out there and produced something brand new. Something that continues to inspire artists to this day.

Also he completly revolutionized the presentation of that music live, which at that point was almost an afterthought to performers. To him the way that the music was presented was almost important as the music itself, so he added the dancing and showmanship to highlight it.

Meanwhile with the Beatles, there was............more than one of them?

I understand completely. Whereas in the past, the music itself was the art, Jackson made the superficial and vain overlay what was important. I agree.

And, no. There were four.

After reading both of those, they seem to be more lists of refrences to the Beatles in pop culture, rather than things that they inspired.
And the only things they did actually influence pop culture with are all long since out of date (mp top cuts, beatle boots)

Which says that, at a time long out of date, they still wanted to be like them. Not sure how much more evidence is needed.

Lol @ the f'n morons who think MJ had more influence than the beatles.

Seriously instead of getting your history from a dollies message board why not do a bit of research and find out the truth. Start here:
Yes, a guy who starts his research with wikipedia is definitely who I want to go to for information :rolleyes2

As I said from the beginning, there is no doubt that the Beatles had a bigger influence on music. Their influence in that sense is incalculable, whereas MJ had more of an influence on the presentation of his music and on branding than on music itself IMO. But based on the information gained from people I know personally from different parts of the world (Iran, Romania, Vietnam, China, etc.), MJ has had a bigger cultural impact in some places than the Beatles did. He has become a larger-than-life icon that people still freak out about, which makes some sense since he built himself up to be some kind of god-freak with his album with a huge statue of himself, over the top music videos, and massive stage shows.

This thread seems filled with either Beatles fans or MJ fans who want to think their favorite artist(s) dominated the world whereas the other guy was some obscure artifact of the past, when neither is the case. Both had serious influences, in different ways and in different places.

Simple and well said..

The Beatles are bigger than music, their culture/life, they change the world...MJ was a great entertainer, but outside the Thiller album, I really didn't like much of his music (well I do like Smooth Criminal)...IMO, I think Led Zeppelin influenced music more than MJ...

But to question...I wouldn't buy a Johnny Cash figure, but I probably wouldn't buy any musicians figures, I will stick with downloads and CD's...

:lecture:lecture:lecture:clap
:hi5:

mj's music was a mere fraction as influential as the beatles. his songs are all the same exact style, whereas the beatles have hundreds of songs that are EXTREMELY different. :lecture
there's simply no comparison.

Anyway, for those that are interested in Cash, Velvet Morning is doing a Cash sculpt, look in the customs section, we need 9 more people in, and it will happen!

Cash will happen! :rock

This is a joke, right? jaja

sorry, you too. we all got a group email from HT saying they'd tell us about whether a johnny cash figure was coming or not as long as we kept it a secret from calimerocore and Ambrosoli. now i've told you, i think they'll cancel plans and deny the conversation ever took place.

No matter your personal feelings about the man, theres no denying that NO other artist has EVER (& will NEVER) have the sales, impact & overall global appeal that M.J had. So it only seems right that HT would cater to releasing multiple Jackson figures, as opposed to releasing figures of people whos international fanbase cant hold a candle to M.Js

my-hair-is-a-bird-argument-invalid-386x449.jpg

you´ve eaten a clown at breakfast?!

sorry, you too. we all got a group email from HT saying they'd tell us about whether a johnny cash figure was coming or not as long as we kept it a secret from calimerocore and Ambrosoli. now i've told you, i think they'll cancel plans and deny the conversation ever took place.

Back