Once more, I'm asking - 'Do we really need this forum?"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do we really need a Whedonville?

• Yes

Votes: 117 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 161 57.9%

• Total voters
Serenity would go into the Aliens & Robots section anyway, Buffy into Horror?

If Joss Whedon found out this forum classified Buffy as Horror, he would probably be a bit perturbed.

Or how about the General Movies/TV and Movies and TV sections, arent those 2 basically the same thing?

Speaking of streamlining, I've often wondered why there's a "general movies and TV" and "Movies and TV" threads. Are these not the same thing ?

One is for COLLECTIBLES, one is for ACTUAL TV and Movie discussion... :wave

why not put up polls in all the other sections to see if the majority of people want them closed down? Its pretty clear that people who use and visit the section regularly will want it to stay open but those that don't will vote to close it. I visit about 6 forums on a regular basis, Whedonville being one of them. I vote we close down all the other ones since I don't visit them. :dunno

:clap:goodpost::exactly:

I agree the above poll is a very misleading window onto what people want. Every time one of these 'shall we get rid of it' polls get wheeled out loads of people who wouldn't normally wouldn't be seen dead on here and rush in and try and tip the balance their way, even though before they they probably had no interest in the place.

Whether It's out of spitefulness I just don't know.

You want to save space, well imo get rid of 'Ask Sideshow' because imo thats totally redundant. Sideshow haven't listened for quite some time now, so whats the point?

The argument for integration is simply one of having the navigation of the forum being intuitive.

Dave, unfortunately the people voting "no" does not see it from that perspective, and simply does so because they don't use the section. Sticking their noses in where it doesn't belong by voting, if you ask me.
Please don't close it. It would be annoying for the need to go scratch in the general section for Buffy stuff, given that I visit the forum almost every day. The only reason why this section has gone a bit quiet of late is because SS haven't really given us much to discuss...

Last edited:
Dave, unfortunately the people voting "yes" does not see it from that perspective, and simply does so because they don't use the section. Sticking their noses in where it doesn't belong by voting, if you ask me.
Please don't close it. It would be annoying for the need to go scratch in the general section for Buffy stuff, given that I visit the forum almost every day. The only reason why this section has gone a bit quiet of late is because SS haven't really given us much to discuss...

"Yes" means keep it open. "No" means shut it down. The majority of votes so far are to shut it.

I'd suggest votes where posters have not provided a reason be discounted. You will find the majority of no votes fall into that category. It will, on the other hand, compel folks who vote yes to also provide a reason. Honestly, I'm not sure one of the more popular reasons, that this forum is just generally nicer than gen pop, is very sustainable from a rational viewpoint. Still, it's more than what I'm sensing is the main reason for shutting it - a sense of boredom from the moderators (?).

I for one am open to restructuring, IF it makes sense. The slow pace of Whedonville I think is symptomatic of other issues with the organization of the board that are more serious (i.e., trolls in the popular forums and all the categories, general in particular, not working as well as they should). We're a benign tumor, as it were. Or the quiet table that nurses our one drink in the corner up until closing that the wait staff find annoying as much as the drunken table dancers.

Or the quiet table that nurses our one drink in the corner up until closing that the wait staff find annoying as much as the drunken table dancers.

Aww, beautifully put. :lol

tumblr_m2ae44B5Ll1qj1lh8.gif

Last edited:
I would also like to add, if we have to remove something, remove permathreads. That thing has about 4 topics that stay highlighted, if that. It's only because I NEVER go in there.

Why take away a board that is so loved? It's the reason I came, and the reason I stay. I've been here since 2008 and I come every day. My browser is set to open freaks up on the Whedon page. It's the place I look forward to the most. The other places are just places I go to keep busy during the day when I'm bored.

Also, as for the forum navigation being intuitive---how come the order of the forums on the front page is different from the order of the forum index page (compare where the Star Wars forum shows up)

Do we NEED this forum? If I'm honest I'd say no. This whole SF message board has diminished considerably in the last several years. It's sad because I've been a part of this board since 2004 and I've met a lot of great people surfing through the threads over the years. But I really don't feel the need to be a part of it anymore. I've even skipped the last two Freak parties at SDCC because I didn't see the need.

Gee... why stop at eliminating this forum? Using the same criteria, we can eliminate MANY other sections of the forum. There are plenty of them that are under-performing. "Indiana Jones" anyone? Why do we need "Other Discussions" section of the forum? If I want to talk about Movies and TV shows there are other forums for that nonsense. Isn't this a Sideshow collectible site?

Heck, while we are at it why not eliminate individual threads too? Those Mega threads gotta go too... too confusing and hard to navigate. Many threads have NOTHING to do with Sideshow. Like that Master of the Universe mega-thread? What it is doing here? And that stupid Planet of the Apes thread... what company is making anything from that franchise? And that Hellboy thread... since there probably isn't going to be another movie the chances of Sideshow making new product are VERY slim...lets just shut it down too. And all those threads for Hot Toys products what's the point?

Yes, the whole message board needs to be cleansed of ALL undesirables and this NEEDless chatter. But if we did, what would we have left?

Hell, lets just shut it all down.

Last edited:
I agree. Where are all these people suddenly coming from? Did a memo go out about posting to support its closure or something? Lol.

I don't think it's hurting, really. I think it's still too broad to just be tossed into 'General Collectibles', it's not really appropriate to 'Horror' in my mind and I don't really understand why "Joss has gone 'mainstream'" is a valid reason. So what? Aren't all the big budget, major studio films represented by other forums on here "mainstream" for all intensive purposes too?

Even though Joss created Buffy, I think this forum could well serve for discussion around future Buffy or other Whedon-related projects, spin-offs, reboots etc etc.

I say just leave it.

admascot_dosequis.jpg

I don't always post on Freaks. But when I do, it's in Whedonville.

And Movies & TV Discussion. And Other Topics. So everything else can go. Because if we members don't use certain forums, they should be removed, yes? Pssh, let's just forget about everyone else who uses them daily. :cuckoo:

I don't get all the complaining over threads that someone doesn't like.

Hot Toys, for instance are sold by Sideshow Collectables. What's the problem?

I have yet to get a finger cramp clicking the mouse to skip to the part of the forum I want to go to.

For those who want a It-should-only-have-(insert topic)-threads... Find a forum dedicated to only that topic.

I love to vibe of this site and the variety. I don't have to join 15 forums for collectable because they are all represented here...

Anywho - About this thread. I think newbs may be confused if the Avengers are not in here now. Obviously moving the Avengers to this thread would not work but given that it is based on a person and not a character I can see how this could get muddled down the road.

Anywho - About this thread. I think newbs may be confused if the Avengers are not in here now. Obviously moving the Avengers to this thread would not work but given that it is based on a person and not a character I can see how this could get muddled down the road.

Don't understand this at all, any newb who's saavy enough to know who's directing what movie is going to understand where to go to discuss a topic, and anybody who doesn't get the difference probably is probably going to be daft enough that they can't be helped.

Don't understand this at all, any newb who's saavy enough to know who's directing what movie is going to understand where to go to discuss a topic, and anybody who doesn't get the difference probably is probably going to be daft enough that they can't be helped.

I'm not implying that they would be too stupid to know the difference. My point was being that the subsection is about a person - it would seem that their collective work would be included but it can't be all the time. Avengers just being an example. So in light of that I can see what Dave is getting at with him being more mainstream.

I think the tone against the people who give their opinion about the board, just because they usually don't post here, is becoming a bit harsh. I admit, some of their posts annoy me, but they have the right to give their opinion. How much one should take their opinions into consideration is another matter.

Just pointing it out before it gets ugly.

Back