Once more, I'm asking - 'Do we really need this forum?"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do we really need a Whedonville?

• Yes

Votes: 117 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 161 57.9%

• Total voters
Theoretically if there were enough threads to overwhelm two different sections would this question be moot already?

Whedon threads? Overwhelming? :cuckoo:

Look at how many Firefly customizing threads there are on the front page alone. This number continues to grow, and the alot of them keep getting bumped to the top for months. Some people already complain that the Marvel section is too crowded with Hot Toys and they should be seperate. Im sure the same would happen with people complaining the customs section is all about Firefly. You would essentially be cutting the front page of one of the most popular sections on the board in half.

Look at how many Firefly customizing threads there are on the front page alone. This number continues to grow, and the alot of them keep getting bumped to the top for months. Some people already complain that the Marvel section is too crowded with Hot Toys and they should be seperate. Im sure the same would happen with people complaining the customs section is all about Firefly. You would essentially be cutting the front page of one of the most popular sections on the board in half.

Firefly customs are posted in the customs section, not in Whedonville. So what difference would it make?

I have no particular fondness for a "Whedon" section. All I want is to be able to find the threads I am interested in without having to flip through 3 or 4 pages worth of threads.

The general section has 3 pages of threads that had a reply in the last 3 days. That's just too many to rummage through.

Break up General into multiple sections, move Firefly to the SciFi section, move Buffy and Angel to a TV Horror section, etc.

SciFi (Firefly/Planet of the Apes/Doctor Who)
Fantasy (Sucker Punch/Gremlins/Conan)
Crime (Scarface/Godfather)
TV Horror (Buffy/Angel)
Cartoons (TMNT/Naruto)
Action (Bruce Lee/Rambo/Die Hard)

Probably a lot more.

Last edited:
No.... How about sub-forums for Hot Toys?

no kidding, can we have a separate forum to move all the hot toys crap there. This website is called sideshowcollectors yet most of the marvel and alien/preds are polluted by hot toys junk.

I've tried to get rid of it in the past and there was protest, but I really think with Cabin in the Woods and Avengers Joss has really gone mainstream.

This forum is just Buffy & Serenity now and I'm afraid that would be confusing for new members.

I know people like having their own little club - but I do think it has outlived it's usefulness.

Depends what purpose you think it has. For me, it's to keep all the Whedon stuff in the same place, without needing to look for threads all over the place. And it's not like we wouldn't still want to talk about the Whedon collectibles, specially since there's one last statue in the new Buffy line comic out soon.

And if you want to make newbies less confused, maybe add "Buffy, Angel, The Avengers, Cabin in the Woods and beyond... to the forum description.

Do what you think is best Dave. I'm a huge fan of Buffy and Serenity but it's true this section doesn't see much action. I personally think it could be mixed in with another section, but that's up to you.

no kidding, can we have a separate forum to move all the hot toys crap there. This website is called sideshowcollectors yet most of the marvel and alien/preds are polluted by hot toys junk.

I agree. I wish the Hot Toys was separate. Sometimes I think it should be called Hot Toys Freaks. Too much clogging. :gah:

Last edited:
Please Don't Close it!!

The last thing I'd want is to get jumped on by some of the less, how can I say this, understanding patrons in the general section.

I'm surprised that after Cabins opened that now folks are trying to get this section shut down. You'd think being more mainstream would be a help not a hinderance.

Also I find it funny that people that never seem post in this section now suddenly appear to demand it be shut down.

Things change and I can see Dave has a point to revisit this topic again. However, as things have changed, I would hope the reasons for proposing another restructuring of the forums be analyzed before changes are immediately made, because change happens on multiple fronts, and the original reasons for wanting to close down this forum may no longer be as valid, or should be phrased or implemented differently.

To Dave’s explanation as to why Whedonville should be broken down and assimilated into General or Horror or Customs or whatever - Joss Whedon has gone mainstream.

You know, I believe that, too, and it’s in contrast to an element of Buffy and Angel which appealed to me – those shows broke molds. They had an indie feel. They were smartly written, which more often than not overcame the low budget. Part of the genius. Going mainstream makes production easier, doesn’t necessarily affect a writer’s ability to write smartly, but now you’ve got to answer to your corporate bosses, and sometimes that does affect the end product. However, this doesn’t change what’s been accomplished to get to the point of him being assimilated into the mainstream: Buffy and Angel were damned good shows that broke ground. I don’t care how elitist it sounds – they were intellectually stimulating even as they were often wildly entertaining. So, I’d submit the fact that Joss is now directing the Avengers shouldn’t be the primary reason for dissolving Whedonville (Cabin on the Woods looks like another sleeper quality movie, I'd hesitate to christen it mainstream just yet - that will depend on receipts, not critical praise). On the other hand, each show that comes out of the ground they broke, whether better like Supernature or mediocre like the teenage vampire or superhero girl spinoffs or gay/lesbian normalization is a marker that dates them. So, yeah, they are getting long in the tooth and it seems like there are fewer and fewer of us here to justify whatever resources Dave and his team have to put into maintaining a niche forum. That, I think, would be the main justification for closing Whedonville and moving its threads to other forums, which may in fact re-vitalize them, and make them current once more.

Since I have no idea what those resources are, I can only speculate. We don’t need as much modding due to the nature of the folks who frequent this board. Trolls attack here on occasion but being on boards like this one for 15 years (yikes), I’ve found ignoring them really does work. Perhaps the lack of traffic (ironically, much of which seems to be generated by trollish posts) is offensive to some who prefer pages turn over once or twice or more a day. I lurk in those kinds of forums and find them tedious to cull through multiple threads of no interest to me (and which, again, seem to be generated in large part by trolls and those they bait). But, some people virtually live their entire social lives on these boards, and I guess it’s those folks who benefit from that kind of board. Since I’m not privy to the logistical downside to maintaining Whedonville though we contribute little trouble or traffic, I can’t offer anything but my opinion as someone who lurks – a lot, but will post a comment if I think it will benefit a conversation.

So, I for one am open to some restructuring, if done right. From the safety of my armchair, this post right here:

I have no particular fondness for a "Whedon" section. All I want is to be able to find the threads I am interested in without having to flip through 3 or 4 pages worth of threads.

The general section has 3 pages of threads that had a reply in the last 3 days. That's just too many to rummage through.

Break up General into multiple sections, move Firefly to the SciFi section, move Buffy and Angel to a TV Horror section, etc.

SciFi (Firefly/Planet of the Apes/Doctor Who)
Fantasy (Sucker Punch/Gremlins/Conan)
Crime (Scarface/Godfather)
TV Horror (Buffy/Angel)
Cartoons (TMNT/Naruto)
Action (Bruce Lee/Rambo/Die Hard)

Probably a lot more.

Makes the most sense to me, though maybe not as many sections as that. I mean, I probably wouldn't put cartoons in its own category. TV Horror and movie horror could probably be combined. I like the Sci Fi (add Farscape to that, please) and Fantasy (LOTR - doesn't need its own venue), maybe even combine them. Crime/Action could be combined too. I've said it before, Indiana Jones and LOTR are in boats just slightly bigger than Whedonville. Combine Indiana Jones in Crime/Action or throw it into Lucas/Speilberg with Star Wars. Buffy and Angel can go into Horror along with Cabin in the Woods.

Firefly really seems to have its own audience from Buffy and Angel. Fans tend to be familiar with all three because they are Joss's shows, but I don't believe they have any connection beyond that. Same with Dollhouse and Dr Horrible (sci fi). Personally, I don't think I'll miss seeing Firefly threads on the same page as Buffy and Angel. I'll just visit two forums instead of one.

Customs - as far as I can tell, selling customs seems to belong in the customs thread. The making of customs really belong in their main genre forum. That should be across the board IMO.

Anyway, I'm suggesting this as someone who lurks more than I post with no knowledge about the logistics/financials of maintaining a forum, which to me has always looked like a big headache and necessarily a labor of love. So, thanks to Dave however it goes.

Last edited:
Also I find it funny that people that never seem post in this section now suddenly appear to demand it be shut down.

This. While I'm still fairly new here, I haven't seen any of the people posting in this thread wanting it shut down ever post in this forum. And as someone else said, it's not harming anyone so why not leave it be?

I definitely think Whedon's stuff needs its own section, just like Marvel and DC need their own separate forums.

No, but we do need sub- for hottoys..... It's getting too much thread about it, and it will get more later on.
There is way too much hot toys stuff. Sometimes I think it's more hot toys then sideshow stuff that is going on here!

As bias as this seems, I kinda like the idea, but then people are gunna want an enterbay one and so on. It might also make things more confusing to find:panic: As for whedonville, I say close it and make a poll as to something new to replace it with like maybe 1:6 only or whatever:)
Look at SF and how they have a sub-forum for Hot Toys. It works and cleans up a lot of things on the other the threads.

I wouldn't call it junk but the name sideshowfreaks should mean sideshow products, otherwise call it HotToyFreaks.

I agree. I wish the Hot Toys was separate. Sometimes I think it should be called Hot Toys Freaks. Too much clogging. :gah:
Yes way too much clogging and makes things hard to find.

I'm not a fan of Buffy at all, but I'd say keep it. It's a shame there aren't more specialized boards for Aliens/Predators, Terminator, etc., to clean up some of that mess in the A&R boards. Same with Dr. Who and Bond in GC. As Prog said, seems like it'd also make things easier to police, too. :huh

Last edited:
This. While I'm still fairly new here, I haven't seen any of the people posting in this thread wanting it shut down ever post in this forum. And as someone else said, it's not harming anyone so why not leave it be?

Exactly. I remember the last time this question was asked we had hoards of people flooding onto here that I've never seen a peep out before of just to stick it to the Buffy board. :(

A lot of the people in here voting its close, are the people who are never in here. The people who come here every day to chat in this section, are the ones who truly care about it.

I don't post in Indiana, or LOTR, so of course I could care less about them. But I also wouldn't vote in their close because I don't go there and post. It's up to the people who enjoy those threads.

I don't see what the harm is in keeping it open. I honestly think we need more sub sections. I find some places (like the general section for pete's sake) to be overwhelming and packed.

I vote NO to closing it as a whole and YES to more sub sections.

I don't post in Indiana, or LOTR, so of course I could care less about them. But I also wouldn't vote in their close because I don't go there and post. It's up to the people who enjoy those threads.

I don't see what the harm is in keeping it open. I honestly think we need more sub sections. I find some places (like the general section for pete's sake) to be overwhelming and packed.

Exactly. Well said.

Back