Once more, I'm asking - 'Do we really need this forum?"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do we really need a Whedonville?

• Yes

Votes: 117 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 161 57.9%

• Total voters
I really see no reason to shut down this Forum. The thing I like about this Forum the most is that it isn't full of snobs and naysayers. I've looked in on various Forums from time to time and they don't take very long to get negative, and off topic. If being small keeps the RIF-RAF out, I'm all in favor of being small. The members who hang out here done some pretty grand things together. The crusaders yelling "shut it down" are members I've never seem posting here. This is the only site I visit every day without fail. I truly like the members who post here, and consider many of them friends, and I enjoy helping them.

When I joined Sideshow Collectors it was because I was a big DC fan and interested in DC collectibles. It took no time for me to be chased out of that Forum because I was a nooby, and the "good old boys club" had no desire to show a new comer the ropes. I stayed away from this site for a couple of years, and only came back because my son wanted me to read a post in Whedonville. I've been there ever since.

I really resent the suggestion that this Forum be terminated.

Old Grandpa

This Forum is the whole reason I started collecting Sideshow and Hot Toys.. Plus I've met some great people on it and they are always pleasant and helpful. I don't see the harm in keeping it open and how anyone else can vote it needs to be closed if they don't even come to it.

I don't see why this forum needs to be removed. Plenty of people use this every day, and it seems it would be completely unfair and irrational to remove something that so many people love to visit. I know many people in this particular forum have very close ties to the Whedonverse, and find joy in posting about topics relating to all things Whedon and any accompanying collectibles. Those advocating removal are people who don't even come in this forum and post. Personally, I find it silly to even take those votes into consideration. If that's the case, I vote to remove LOTR, GI Joe, etc. seeing as I don't post there every day, or any day. Because that's logical, right?

The fact of the matter is that in general population most things Whedon meet with scorn and ridicule. I think that despite the fact that Avengers is already getting great acclaim many will give it a back handed compliment like "Even Whedon couldn't screw it up" or "He finally got something right". Its nice to have a place to go where everyone gets along, and you can speak freely. Even when there is a criticism of a Buffy product it doesn't deteriorate into a middle school playground pissing match.
Keep Whedonville please.

I'm not sure that moving threads to a different section would mean more people would start posting in those threads. Seems like they would just continue to be ignored by folks who previously ignored them.

I'm not sure that moving threads to a different section would mean more people would start posting in those threads. Seems like they would just continue to be ignored by folks who previously ignored them.

And yet, with a fubard search function, make it infinitely harder to find for those that don't. :huh

I've tried to get rid of it in the past and there was protest, but I really think with Cabin in the Woods and Avengers Joss has really gone mainstream.

This forum is just Buffy & Serenity now and I'm afraid that would be confusing for new members.

I know people like having their own little club - but I do think it has outlived it's usefulness.

You know Dave. I've been posting here for about 6 years and I've seen alot of changes over time. I don't understand the mentality of closing down this part of forum in particular...but yet you open a Printed Word section (when most people are downloading digital media). I honestly think there are bigger and better things to improve this entire forum instead of weeding out a single section (of which SSC is still creating products for).

I think the main problem with the SSC forum is that most of the threads are bogged down with Hot Toys discussion. I've been saying for a long time that a Hot Toys subforum is needed to remove alot of the clutter throughout the entire forum. I can't remember how many times I have to sift through thread after thread trying to find information on a piece other than something thats been manufactured by Hot Toys.

I truly believe Whedonverse has it's place in this forum and I've never thought of the section as a club. It's been a mainstay since I joined the forum and has been a flagship for SSC for many years. Whether or not you think it should be remain a section or at the very least a sub-section is up to you. Like I said before, I think there are other aspects of the forum to look into before I'd start looking into eliminating longtime sections such as Whedonverse.

You know Dave. I've been posting here for about 6 years and I've seen alot of changes over time. I don't understand the mentality of closing down this part of forum in particular...but yet you open a Printed Word section (when most people are downloading digital media). I honestly think there are bigger and better things to improve this entire forum instead of weeding out a single section (of which SSC is still creating products for).

I think the main problem with the SSC forum is that most of the threads are bogged down with Hot Toys discussion. I've been saying for a long time that a Hot Toys subforum is needed to remove alot of the clutter throughout the entire forum. I can't remember how many times I have to sift through thread after thread trying to find information on a piece other than something thats been manufactured by Hot Toys.

I truly believe Whedonverse has it's place in this forum and I've never thought of the section as a club. It's been a mainstay since I joined the forum and has been a flagship for SSC for many years. Whether or not you think it should be remain a section or at the very least a sub-section is up to you. Like I said before, I think there are other aspects of the forum to look into before I'd start looking into eliminating longtime sections such as Whedonverse.

The fact of the matter is that in general population most things Whedon meet with scorn and ridicule. I think that despite the fact that Avengers is already getting great acclaim many will give it a back handed compliment like "Even Whedon couldn't screw it up" or "He finally got something right". Its nice to have a place to go where everyone gets along, and you can speak freely. Even when there is a criticism of a Buffy product it doesn't deteriorate into a middle school playground pissing match.
Keep Whedonville please.

:exactly: :goodpost: :clap :lecture

And yet, with a fubard search function, make it infinitely harder to find for those that don't. :huh
I can't argue with that. If there is an argument behind further compartmentalization of the forum that really appeals to me, it is the argument that people will have an easier time finding threads due to the ineffectiveness of the search engine.

I think to close this forum because it has no 'action' is letting the 'trolls' win. By that, I mean the tons of other threads have action because it's people bumping a thread to say "Any news yet?" or "The wait is killing me" or "Why is there no news?" and then it turns into a GIF war or some other nonsense.

I don't want to see Buffy and Indiana Jones moved into the General Collectibles discussion. That section already has too much stuff that doesn't belong.

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38530
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38177
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108965
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108985
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106966
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94598
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108516

These are all more or less Chat threads about collectibles in general. Those threads fit more into a Sandbox type of forum where you can just chat about collectibles. As opposed to thread about collectibles like the Gremlins thread, or the Bruce Lee thread or the 3A thread.

If this forum is closed, you ought to at least throw everyone a bone and move Hot Toys into its own section. Move all the trolls and the GIF monsters to another forum. Then ALL the threads will slow down, and the activity in Whedonville and Indiana Jones will look much more normal as the DC and Marvel forums slow waaaaaay down.

Further, even the Disney and Horror forums don't get much action. The bulk of the threads in Horror are custom projects that would realistically fall in the Customs forum, but because THAT forum is so busy, it makes more sense to put them in Horror. And even the Disney forum. . . was more or less created because General was too bulked up and with SS' announcement of the Disney license, we expected that to be more worthwhile than it turned out to be.

Even if this forum is slow, I don't see what would be gained by shutting it down, you'd only make people bitter about it. Sure, they'd get over it, but I don't think it's worth it.

Needless to say, I'm one of many that don't want to see this part of the forum go. The community in Whedonville is arguably the biggest reason I post here and to see it go would be disappointing, to say the least.

I'll quote Nitro's post again because it sums my feelings to a 'T.'

Maybe we should do a poll on a possible Hot Toys sub forum instead.

I almost never post I felt compelled to do so here. I see no reason to close this section down unless there is some major issue with it's existence that is causing undo direst for the rest of the board in general. With the exception of a few people I do not think that is the case. I am selfish and I like being able to quickly see what is going in Whedonville without having to curse at the search feature. If it is about streamline there have been plenty of good suggestions in this thread that should be taken into consideration before closing of this section.

Back