Oh no! No Peter Jackson on The Hobbit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Line won't get one cent from this guy if 'The Hobbit' doesn't include Peter Jackson.

Hopefully, this gets rectifed, and we get the film us fans want and deserve.

:cool:

New Line prolly wants to get the movie made asap to keep from losing the rights.

So maybe it's Jackson that needs to hurry his ass up.

But then it might not be a bad thing not having Jackson do Hobbit. Irvin Kershner did a bang up job with someone else's movie.

By the way when is expected to have these movies released?

I really want to see more urks/etc. -- any chance Boromir makes a cameo in these?

Wetanut said:
Only LOTR members who appear in Hobbit are Elrond, Galdalf, Gollum, and Bilbo

Hey, you never know... if they go completely Hollywood on this you could have everybody in it. Maybe even a musical number with Sy Snootles!!! And Bilbo could shoot first!

is galdalf gandalf's brother? :monkey5

are arwen and legolas already on middle earth in the events of the hobbit? i think galadriel and celeborn are probable characters too?

This news has really made me cross. Bet it's the Winestains who've kicked Jackson out. They'll be able to make a Hobbit action movie now with Bruce Willis as Bilbo, Nic Cage as Oin, Arnie as Gloin, Stallone as Thorin etc etc and with a vague nod towards literary credibility they'll be able to put "BASED on the novel by JRR Tolkein" at the end!:banghead :banghead :banghead :mad:

I'm really disapointed and angry about this news : No Peter Jackson on The Hobbit.

How New Line could do this do PJ ?

This guy spend 11 years of his life 24 Hours a day to makes 3 masterpieces movies.

This films gaves New Lines Millions of Dollars and respectability in Hollywood.

I can't imagine a Hobbitt without Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Weta Digital, Richard Taylor, Ian Mc Kellen, Andy Serkis etc...

I'm really sad today... A dream has deseapeared yesterday, a dream about a great movie whitch will be never be made now.

I just want to tell to :

Mr PETER JACKSON : THANK YOU !! WE LOVE YOUR WORKS ON LOTR & KONG !! THANK YOU SO MUTCH TO MAKE DREAMS COME TRUE !!!

Some good news in this article by Variety. MGM is hopefully gonna save the day.

Who's the boss of "The Hobbit"?
This question has been growing more heated in recent weeks as the principal parties involved in the film -- New Line, MGM and director Peter Jackson -- have been duking it out, each staking their claim as a key player in "The Hobbit" along with a prequel to "The Lord of the Rings."

Behind the jostling is the fact that while New Line owns the rights to produce the pic, MGM owns the distribution rights and Jackson is the creative force behind the franchise's staggering success.

In the most recent flurry of events, Peter Jackson and producing partner Fran Walsh posted a letter Sunday night on the "LOTR" fan site Theonering.net saying that New Line told them last week that it was going to make "The Hobbit" without their services.

The letter also reiterated in detail Jackson's stance on "The Hobbit" -- that he is not willing to have a serious conversation about directing the film until his ongoing lawsuit with New Line over what he considers improper accounting practices over "LOTR" profits is settled.

New Line's given reason for proceeding sans Jackson is that the studio's rights to the pic are about to expire, and seeing as the lawsuit with Jackson isn't moving ahead, well, the message was that New Line is.

All of this has riled MGM, which in recent weeks has been openly touting the fact that the newly revamped studio is serious about making "The Hobbit" -- with Jackson.

An MGM spokesman said that "the matter of Peter Jackson directing 'The Hobbit' films is far from closed."

Though New Line no-commented inquiries about Jackson's statement, the mini-major's move is a loud statement to both MGM and Jackson that the studio is in the driver's seat when it comes to "The Hobbit."

Jackson noted in his letter that New Line exec Mark Ordesky, who shepherded the "Rings" trilogy, explained that New Line is ditching Jackson because it has a "limited time option" on the film rights obtained from Saul Zaentz.

There are already online revolts from fans who can't fathom a "Hobbit" directed by anyone else, and Jackson makes clear in his letter that he's not budging on the issue of the lawsuit or "The Hobbit."

More interesting news that I'm sure many of you already know.

"11/17/2006
Producer Saul Zaentz said in an interview with the German movie magazine 'Cinema', The Hobbit surely will be made by Peter Jackson. MGM-boss Harry Sloan meanwhile gives 2008 or 2009 as date.
Translation from the magazine:
Q: What is with the long anticipated Hobbit-adaption?
A: It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. The question is only when. He wants to shoot another movie first. Next year the Hobbit-rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us in contrast he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation. (translated)"

Back