Oh no! No Peter Jackson on The Hobbit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darthviper107 said:
Well, that sounds good, seems like MGM is fighting for Peter and he'll probably win. Maybe it's not lost after all.

I'm hoping so more good news.

With a quote from our very own SS Chris.

Though he thinks he’s no longer in the race, MGM says they’re not going to give up on Peter Jackson directing “The Hobbit”.

Yesterday, the “Lord of the Rings” director told TheOneRing.net that New Line have removed him from the project. The filmmaker’s statement also reiterated in detail his stance on "The Hobbit" -- that he is not willing to have a serious conversation about directing the film until his ongoing lawsuit with New Line over what he considers improper accounting practices over "LOTR" profits is settled.

New Line's given reason for proceeding sans Jackson is that the studio's rights to the pic are about to expire, and seeing as the lawsuit with Jackson isn't moving ahead, well, the message was that New Line is.

An MGM spokesperson tells Variety today that they’re going to fight for Jackson. The spokesperson states, "The matter of Peter Jackson directing 'The Hobbit' films is far from closed."

You only have to do a Google search for one of the “Rings” forums to see what size backlash this one’s had.

Chris Pirrotta, co-founder of TheOneRing.net says "They [the fans] are very upset, - We are seeing calls for everything from letter writing campaigns to a boycott of the studio."

Wow. I had no idea that Chris from torn and Sideshow Chris were one and the same. But this definately gives me hope. I guess worse case scenario: NL makes a Hobbit movie that blows and a few years later PJ and MGM give us what we all want. Sounds ok to me. :D

pixletwin said:
Wow. I had no idea that Chris from torn and Sideshow Chris were one and the same. But this definately gives me hope. I guess worse case scenario: NL makes a Hobbit movie that blows and a few years later PJ and MGM give us what we all want. Sounds ok to me. :D

That may be what we get.

Who would have thought 10 years ago people would be up in arms about Peter Jackson not directing this movie?

CAhobbit said:
Good grief I hope not.

I hope not as well. I'm feeling better about MGM standing up for PJ. Now, I just hope they have the backbone to stay with it.

Bannister said:
Who would have thought 10 years ago people would be up in arms about Peter Jackson not directing this movie?

LOL Yeah, funny how times change.

The fact that New Line are considering doing the Hobbit without PJ and his crew has got to be, single-handedly, the dumbest decision ever in the history of movies.

And how dare they f*** PJ over, considering the worldwide success and cash the LOTR franchise made and the fact that PJ lobbied until the vision was reality.
Not to mention, PJ and family gave up a good 10 years of their life...

New Line, you better reconsider, otherwise there'll be a fair few people waiting for the Hobbit remake !

revilal said:
The fact that New Line are considering doing the Hobbit without PJ and his crew has got to be, single-handedly, the dumbest decision ever in the history of movies.

And how dare they f*** PJ over, considering the worldwide success and cash the LOTR franchise made and the fact that PJ lobbied until the vision was reality.

New Line, you better reconsider, otherwise there'll be a fair few people waiting for the Hobbit remake !

Well, said Rev! This is why there is no such thing as loyalty anymore in the world.

There is absolutely NO WAY New Line will allow the rights to lapse back to Zaentz. Even if MGM blocks them from making an official film without PJ, perhaps they'll pull a Corman and make a craptastic Hobbit just to keep their rights, as Corman did with the Fantastic Four back in the day.

revilal said:

Has Newline even made a response yet since the letter? I don't believe we've heard anything from the Newline camp yet about going forward with a Hobbit film without PJ. Sure the guess would be that they would go forward no matter what but we haven't heard anything from them yet.

I'm very interested to hear Newline's take on all this. They've screwed up so to hear their side would be very interesting.

Darklord Dave said:
There is absolutely NO WAY New Line will allow the rights to lapse back to Zaentz. Even if MGM blocks them from making an official film without PJ, perhaps they'll pull a Corman and make a craptastic Hobbit just to keep their rights, as Corman did with the Fantastic Four back in the day.

That doesn't sound all that good for PJ. However, I guess it could give them all more time to work things out.

Here's another petition online. Note that this one gives you the option to vote in support of New Line's decision.

https://www.theonering.com/petition/

A chat with a fellow-Tolkienite revealed how PJ's vision of The Hobbit could be a bit dark. This is speculation of course. Any fan who's read The Hobbit knows how more light-hearted and whimsical it is compared to LOTR. I recall when I finished The Hobbit and jumping into LOTR, that things felt a bit more serious. If PJ's take on it is an extension of the epic magnitude of LOTR, this may not be the treatment it deserves. Again, this is speculation, as I hope that if PJ does helm it, that he would once again turn to the fans for input.

If New Line has the production rights and MGM the distribution rights. Does that mean that if MGM refuses to distribute whatever New Line want to do with the Hobbit movie because PJ isnt the director, then New Line cannot 'sell' the movie or something?

If that is correct, then New Line would be plain silly to spend money to make the movie if they cannot have it 'sold' due to MGM's refusal?

This should get really interesting... If MGM refuses to distribute without PJ than New Line would be forced to wait for PJ (or sure MGM), however if MGM bowes to New Line than PJ is screwed... I am anxious to see how this plays out...

A lot of my thoughts have been since been spoken by fellow board members. Its interesting the Saul Zaentz has been quoted as being all for PJ. Quietly behind the scenes, Zaentz may be one of the most powerful men in Hollywood and just ask John Fogerty, what Saul wants, Saul gets!

When a bunch of men stand around waving their phalices, nothing gets produced but a huge mess.

This is indeed sad news. I was looking forward to returning to PJ's Middle-Earth. FOTR was one of the defining moments in my adult filmgoing life.

Just a question from someone who's not really up on entertainment law. So next year the rights for The Hobbit fall back to Saul Zaentz if New Line doesn't get going on it. But if New Line do start making it, with or without PJ, does that mean that their rights then extend until they're finished, and then fall back to Zaentz afterwards?

Might be a stupid question. I have very little idea of how this stuff works. :)

Back