Oh no! No Peter Jackson on The Hobbit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Ling can make a ****ty version all they want. They can't distribute it though. So unless they wanna waste several million dollars I think they better listen to MGM.

Saul Zaentz interview

Saul Zaentz, the owner of Tolkien Enterprises, and ultimate holder of the film rights to The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings was very recently interviewed about the Hobbit and Peter Jackson's involvement.

The interview has since been posted on German Rings site Elbenwald. You can read it here.

It's in German, so here's a translation of his comments.

Q: What is with the long anticipated Hobbit-adaption?

A: It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. The question is only when. He wants to shoot another movie first. Next year the Hobbit-rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us in contrast he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation.

PJ must be the Director

It must be filmed in NZ

Any actor from LotR that can be used appropriate to the story, should be used.

Oh and the lawsuit should be settled so all this can take place.

Um, Saul Zaentz was able to get filming on Amadeus done in the Czech republic during the height of Communism (when such a thing would have been unthinkable)... I am sure he can wrangle The Hobbit together with PJ at the helm. I no longer have any doubt this will get done. :rock

although some might argue it is possible the movie will turn out well even without pj. but the thing about pj if i didn't recall wrongly was that he is a LOTR fan and had read the books when he was younger. and that passion/love/knowledge about LOTR translated to how he made the movie such a great one?

compared that with a director who knows nothing about the hobbit and lotr who attempts at directing the hobbit, doesnt sound as good perhaps.

But if New Line lost the rights in a year, does that mean that if they wanted to make the Hobbit they'd have to design, write, shoot, produce and release within that year? Would they get halfway through then suddenly Saul Zaentz (potentially could be my new hero) would say "OI! You're not allowed to do that anymore! Decease!".
If they do indeed go back to him next year, I can see no way of New Line doing their own version if Saul doesnt want to sell them the rights again.

I didn't read this whole thread, but who are we kidding here. You guys would rush to see The Hobbit no matter who directs it.

willrulethemall said:
I didn't read this whole thread, but who are we kidding here. You guys would rush to see The Hobbit no matter who directs it.

probably so but if i did decide to boycott i will could get the bootleg instead of going to the cinema if i wanted to.

I see under the title "Hobbit Hullabaloo" the controversy made page 14 of this week's Entertainment Weekly.

Regarding New Line's decision Jackson said "We are very sorry this has been ended in this way."

EW's last paragraph then reads:

"So no doubt, are Jackson's legion of fans, whose feverish devotion helped turn the LOTR trilogy into a multibillion-dollar megahit. Will they follow another director back to Middle-earth? Not even the great wizard Gandalf has the answer to that."

I hope we don't have to find out.

doesitmatter said:
Bad news all around.

Yep, and almost worse than all the speculation about who's going to do the Hobbit and who's not is the fact that PJ won't come to Switzerland this weekend to have my statues signed...:monkey2

He was supposed to appear at the Film Fair in Zurich for a signing session, but he called off his appearance this weekend. I guess he doens't want to be exposed to the public now... :rolleyes:

I was so looking forward to this... :crying (and to PJ's Hobbit of course, which I truly hope is still gonna happen)

As with LOTR, I'll wait till I see a trailer. If it rocks my socks, I'll go. Any chance to see Tolkein done well must be taken, no matter who sits in the director's chair. I love PJ's LOTR. His vision has become definitive for me. But I'll have no trouble seperating that world from a new vision for The Hobbit. Bring it on, Uwe Boll!!!

I've read a good bit over this whole thread and I feel my views have been stated time and time again. The only thing I could add is that I just feel like it would be an injustice to the fans and crew that have given so much to these films.

It's just horrible to think of watching an incomplete set to me. I mean yeah maybe the Hobit would be a great stand alone. But it would never, ever be considered that. It would always be held up to Jacksons movies. And I really don't think your ever going to match or even come close to the passion and love PJ has poured into these films.

Just my 32 cents

:mummy not dead

PS: Thats b*******!

I love PJ's vision for LOTR, and I agree that The Hobbit, no matter who does it (even if it's PJ) will be held up against LOTR. The fact is, just based on the differences in books, I think public perception will be that The Hobbit is a lesser work, which it is.

I don't think anyone in either camp should feel hard-done-by though. Whatever happens to The Hobbit, it'll never change the fact that together they all made three amazing films that work seemlessly together to become one superb adaptation of one of the greatest books ever written. Next to that accomplishment, The Hobbit could never be on equal ground.

I'd love to spend more time in PJ's Middle Earth. Even at four hours a film, I feel like there's more. And maybe that is for the best. I sort of feel doing The Hobbit might damage the magic of the trilogy, much as the prequels have stained the OT. I'd hate to see that happen.

Yep, I agree. The prequels did leave a bad taste in one's mouth. With that said, The Hobbit cant suffer the same fate. Whomever they choose as a director will feel the wrath of united Tolkienites if he didn't confer with us! For continuity's sake though, even if Star Wars had the same texture, the storyline and directing was atrocious enough to make it not matter.Ditto, with The Hobbit. Even if whomever helms it had a chance to gather the same people as what PJ did, if the storyline's or vision's not solid, it wouldn't matter. I can't imagine the following scenes not be followed through for continuity's sake:

1) Gollum's 3D and mocap animation done by Serkis/Weta Digital
2) The 3 Trolls not assuming the same location/stand when they turn to stone.
3) Elrond not done by Mr. Smith . . .
4) Gandalf not reprised by McKellen
5) Rivendell not sculpted/rendered by Weta Digital and using Lee's drawings
6) Hobbiton not looking like NZ's backlot.

Back