Official ROBOTECH Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alright, total virgin question, but i never got into Robotech back in the day. Does the cartoon still hold up today? For someone without the nostalgia factor, is it enjoyable? Where do I start?

If Robotech holds no nostalgia for you, then you might want to seriously consider jumping on board through Jack McKinney's novelizations of the series. I saw bits and pieces of the cartoon as a kid and loved them but didn't get the whole story until I read the books. I later caught up on the cartoons when I was in high school and was pretty disappointed about how cheezy some of it played out on screen. With the books you just picture everything like a Michael Bay mecha flick and its all cool. :cool:

I had a friend who loved Robotech as a kid and then bought a bunch of the videos but found them to be almost unwatchable.

Personally I love it all now; I'm not bothered by "80's cheese" as in addition to Robotech I also still love the original He-Man cartoon as well as Blackstar, GI Joe, and several others.

The story is great and would do well for a live-action telling, just make sure you're properly "in the zone" and you should appreciate the cartoon like the rest of us do. :)

HEY ill !!!! i have the masterpiece alpha scott bernard ( toynami ) is one of the things most harder to find, for the fans !!!!!!! and a few days i buy the ciclone of megahouse !!!! is beautifull , i recommend you !!!!!!!!!.
the world of robotech and macross is extremely beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rock:rock:rock:rock

They look pretty cool, but a bit too pricey for me.

On the topic of Macross, here's a pic of my VF-0S from Macross zero - wish I had three of these so I could display it as a jet & gerwalk at the same time.... Maybe one day.:D

Amazes me every time I mess around with these that they worked out the transformation so well in the fig.

Dsc01683-33.jpg

Thinking about picking up a piece or two in the near future. What is recommended by those of you who have been collecting Robotech already? The Toynami Masterpiece line, or something else?

Thinking about picking up a piece or two in the near future. What is recommended by those of you who have been collecting Robotech already? The Toynami Masterpiece line, or something else?

Toynami and Yamato, both have beautiful things , maybe Yamato is a little more expensive but ........FTW :yess:

Depending on what your looking to get, id research the Yamato, Ive heard mixed things on quality. I just pre-ordered the new Koenig Monster, cant wait to feel the heft of that toy.

Quick research has led me to believe that Toynami offers smaller versions of the fighters, and other vehicles, while Yamato offers around 1/48 scale versions. I can find a website for the Toynami line, but none for the Yamato. Perhaps I have not dug enough. I just want to look into making a small setup, and hopefully not getting addicted to, of the main fighters.

Can anyone lead me to a good reference for the Yamato? Perhaps the official Robotech website? I will peruse it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help! :D

Nice to see this thread getting some attention! :)

I have also wondered a lot about the differences in size and quality between the Toynami and Yamato Veritechs. I own two of the Toynami fighters, but have read that the Yamato's are of better quality and are bigger. It would be nice to hear from someone that owns both to see how they feel about the differences.

I'm a longtime fan of first Robotech, and then the film Macross: Do You Remember Love. Another pressing question is where can I find a good dubbed version of that film? I had a bootleg VHS way back in the 80's which I picked up at a comic convention, but the newer DVD copy I have is a chinese version, I think, which I still have to read the English subtitles on.

I really want this the way I remember it from my youth, well dubbed in English so I can watch all the beautiful action on the screen.

So, where can I find this?

Can anyone lead me to a good reference for the Yamato? Perhaps the official Robotech website? I will peruse it tomorrow.

Have a look at these:

MacrossWorld Toys (mostly old stuff, I don't think the sites been updated it a fair while)

YAMATO Japan (Probably not much use unless you can read Japanese, nothing on the American site though.)

CollectionDX Macross / Robotech (Good for reviews and such of all sorts of Robotech stuff.)

That should start you off nicely. :D

Anyone know of any Invid or Zentradi stuff out there? I've got a Revoltech Battle Pod (which is very cool) but it's tiny. Need some stuff in scale with the Yamato veritechs.

Been looking around all day and even have an offer in on a Hikaru DYRL version Veritech. But I still have so many unanswered questions. Most important is: Does anyone know what the box colors represent on the different releases? I think I'm after the black box versions because they seem to be from the film DYRL, right?

I've pretty much decided on 1/48 scale.

Well, I finally took the plunge and ordered this:

Yamato Macross 1/60 VF-1A Super & Strike Parts Hikaru

There was so much research to do just to determine what to buy and there seem to be a myriad of choices. Not only in company, but in color choice, number of antennae, obviously pilot (which I knew I wanted to start with Hikaru), and then movie and TV variations on top of all of that. Oh, and then I determined I would want the Super & Strike parts as well. I dropped down to the 1/60 scale after reading up and checking out videos on CollectionDX, so thanks for that link DeadLeaves. I actually eventually dug up an English version to the Yamato site as well.

Now the long wait for my first fighter to arrive from Hong Kong. Not much choice, and I saved a bundle it seems, but I know the wait will be a long one.

Back