Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True. And that version of the scene is much better.

With regard to the head though I think I was in "Alien 3" mode every time I watched that scene. I pictured them waking him up to get some information like Ripley did with the mangled Bishop head. Obviously the dialogue in Prometheus doesn't support that, it was just my own assumption. Glad that's not what they were trying to do. :lol

Actually got around and watched the movie today. I dont really know if I like it or I dont.
Quite a few WTF moments for me. It got messy and complicated in a way imho. I mean, they were running around quite aimlessly, it seemed like they didnt even know what they were trying to do.

One of the moments I felt seriously confused was right after that C-section surgery. I mean, she just ran off, noone chased up to her, she cut the thing out of her, and after that its like noone even cared what came out of her. Arent they like scientists? Who have JUST MADE FIRST CONTACT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE HUMAN HISTORY? You'd think they'd explore every lifeform they can find, quarantine it atleast.
And ofcourse, she's running around like nothing happened after that surgery. :lol

I actually really enjoyed the writer's commentary far more than Ridley's. While the script still had major flaws, both writers make some great points, and admit some of the dumb stuff. 2 examples: Spaiths says something like "still not sure about the flute and jelly bean buttons" and Lindelof basicly says that without the deleted scene showing the scientists making the first discovery of alien life, the actions of the characters in the hammerpede scene are basicly stupid.

^ I'm not very fond of the flute idea either. Never really minded the buttons.

One of the moments I felt seriously confused was right after that C-section surgery. I mean, she just ran off, noone chased up to her, she cut the thing out of her, and after that its like noone even cared what came out of her. Arent they like scientists? Who have JUST MADE FIRST CONTACT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE HUMAN HISTORY? You'd think they'd explore every lifeform they can find, quarantine it atleast.
And ofcourse, she's running around like nothing happened after that surgery. :lol
Uh, not true. She had to stop practically every five minutes and grab her stomach in pain after the surgery. Constantly moaning as well. Something you almost never see in movies after a character has taken such severe injuries. Glad that Ridley didn't just ignore that.

And they did experiment with what they found, quarantined the head, etc...but they had no reason to be interested in squid-baby when they were preparing to meet God.
At that point the real reason they were there was out of the box. This was about Weyland going to meet his maker and live forever. He only had "a few days of life" left in him, after he receives his gift of eternal life he can go study every different kind of squid monster he wants to.

^ I'm not very fond of the flute idea either. Never really minded the buttons.

Uh, not true. She had to stop practically every five minutes and grab her stomach in pain after the surgery. Constantly moaning as well. Something you almost never see in movies after a character has taken such severe injuries. Glad that Ridley didn't just ignore that.

And they did experiment with what they found, quarantined the head, etc...but they had no reason to be interested in squid-baby when they were preparing to meet God.
At that point the real reason they were there was out of the box. This was about Weyland going to meet his maker and live forever. He only had "a few days of life" left in him, after he receives his gift of eternal life he can go study every different kind of squid monster he wants to.

Yes, she grabbed her stomach every 5 minutes, but you just dont run around after a surgery like this. I get that this is a movie and a sci-fy after all, but what I meant was actually the scenes RIGHT after the surgery. She just gets up from that pod, and runs around like nothing had happened.

And indeed they were going to meet their creator, but that doesnt mean the squid-thing is any lesser priority at that point. You dont know anything about it! As far as you know it could grow to be massive and take over/destroy the ship. How do you get home then? And do not tell me "with the alien ship." Safety first.
What bothered me about it was that noone cared and before David mentioned Shaw's survival instinct I was under the impression noone even knew what had just happened.

best_animated_gif_nuclear_explosion.gif

Yes, she grabbed her stomach every 5 minutes, but you just dont run around after a surgery like this. I get that this is a movie and a sci-fy after all, but what I meant was actually the scenes RIGHT after the surgery. She just gets up from that pod, and runs around like nothing had happened.
When she gets out of the pod she sets it to close and sanitize everything in it, killing the trilobite (as we're obviously supposed to believe). Not sure if she hunched over in pain at that point or not, but yes, you're absolutely right..she did run the entire 5-6 feet out of the room without showing much pain. Then for the rest of the movie she makes it perfectly clear that she's suffering and giving every last bit of strength she has to move on and survive. You need to watch more movies because this is something that is ALWAYS ignored.

Realistically, after a surgery like that she most likely wouldn't be capable of moving. Doy. But the story has to go on and Ridley made it very believable. You can see and feel her pain as she struggles to survive.
There are countless numbers of movies/TV shows where someone gets severely injured, or shot, and doesn't slow down at all or just barely shows any emotion to the damage they've endured.

Tony Stark was thrown out of a solid glass window by a god, without his suit, falls a hundred feet or so and is perfectly fine in The Avengers.
Batman falls a few hundred feet off a building and lands on a car in TDK. No damage. Never hear any complaints about that. :rotfl

Hell, even Dillon being able to instantly reach over and grab the machine gun on his back and shoot at the Predator after just having his entire right arm blown off was a bit of a stretch.

At least Prometheus showed that the surgery actually meant something. We saw it have a painful affect on her.

...and, as CelticP said, she had taken 3-4 shots of year 2093 space-meds.

And indeed they were going to meet their creator, but that doesnt mean the squid-thing is any lesser priority at that point. You dont know anything about it! As far as you know it could grow to be massive and take over/destroy the ship. How do you get home then? And do not tell me "with the alien ship." Safety first.
What bothered me about it was that noone cared and before David mentioned Shaw's survival instinct I was under the impression noone even knew what had just happened.
I do agree that they should have mentioned it, but I never found it to be that big of a deal because....

1. Weyland could die at any second. He literally only had a few days left if that. Top priority is getting him to the engineer.

2. The trilobite looked dead. Shaw most likely thought she killed it, as we were supposed to believe by it's complete lack of movement after the sanitizing/decontamination spray stuff.

3. Some of Weyland's own personal mercenary guard guys stayed on the ship while him and the others went to wake the engineer.

There are countless numbers of movies/TV shows where someone gets severely injured, or shot, and doesn't slow down at all or just barely shows any emotion to the damage they've endured.

And like I said before when you brought up this same exact point: Show me one where someone has their lower abdominal muscles sliced completely in half yet they still have the ability to stand up, walk, run, move because you can't do any of those things without those muscles regardless of how drugged up you are (yes, even pumped up with space steroids). :lol

Bottom line, it's stupid. And yet another example of crappy writing in this film. No reason to defend it.

Back