Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
match
   

noun
a person or thing that equals or resembles another in some respect.

a person or thing able to cope with another as an equal: to meet one's match.

a person or thing that is an exact counterpart of another.

a corresponding, suitably associated, or harmonious pair: The blue hat and green scarf were not a good match.

The bold seems to allow for 2 things being different whilst being considered a match. But in the context of DNA...I really think if they intended to suggest it wasn't exactly the same the screen would have A) given a percentage and B) that percentage would obviously be less than 100. Just saying 'DNA match', well I would also interpret that as meaning 100%

You saying you saw the screen say "100% match" still makes you a wrong.It just says DNA match :lol

:slap

Again,

Match = 100%.
Partial Match = Less than 100%
No Match = 0%

3 possible outcomes. That's standard when no other information is given. If they wanted to do like you're suggesting with the Dolphin and Human comparison they could've said something similar to "The Engineer genome and the human genome basically are the same. It's just that there's a few chromosomal rearrangements that have changed the way the genetic material is put together." which is a direct quote from Dr. David Busbee at Texas A&M (that put out the Dolphin info you're citing) altered with "Engineer" for this discussion. That would be completely different than "DNA Match" and Shaw saying "Oh my God.. it's us.. it's everything."

I really think if they intended to suggest it wasn't exactly the same the screen would have A) given a percentage and B) that percentage would obviously be less than 100. Just saying 'DNA match', well I would also interpret that as meaning 100%

Shouldn't have said that.. now Niltusk the Harvard scholar is gonna tell you to go back to school. He's super edumacated you know. :wave

Fight.gif

thank you so much for this gif. I laughed for a good 30 seconds.

seriously I make it a point to drop by this thread every time I need a pick me up. ;)

I think most folks watching the movie would come to the conclusion means match = same.

I mean that's what all detective shows imply when they say they found DNA matching the suspect's at the crime scene.

Shouldn't have said that.. now Niltusk the Harvard scholar is gonna tell you to go back to school. He's super edumacated you know. :wave

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I would tell anyone to go back to school regardless of what they post, self improvement is great.

Devil, I would go check out the scene where Shaw shows Charlie the little 3D digital plexiglass-looking thing in their room (whatever the hell you want to call it :lol) and says "we come from them".

I remember it saying "100% Match" somewhere in the movie..and if it wasn't on the initial scanner, perhaps that was it.

thank you so much for this gif. I laughed for a good 30 seconds.

seriously I make it a point to drop by this thread every time I need a pick me up. ;)

Your welcome and I agreed. This is one of the most entertaining threads on this entire board which I usually watch from the sidelines. :lurking

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I would tell anyone to go back to school regardless of what they post, self improvement is great.

:1-1:

The problem with this whole debate is, there's some confusion regarding the "Match" terminology. The reason I know this is because on two separate occasions, in two different posts Niltusk mentioned that the two DNA samples in the movie didn't line up exactly when they were overlaid.

Maybe this will clear it up.

All DNA has unique genetic markers. That's why scientists can tell if an unknown DNA sample is Human, Animal, etc. The only thing they're comparing is those unique genetic markers though, not the entire DNA sample.

And like I said, there's 3 possible outcomes for a test like that:

Match = 100%
Meaning ALL of the unique genetic markers were present in both samples.

Partial Match = Less than 100%
Meaning SOME of the unique genetic markers were present, so maybe the two samples belong to a related species (e.g. Human/Ape) but not enough to say definitively that the two samples are of the same species.

No Match = 0%
Meaning NONE of the unique genetic markers were present, so there's no way the two samples are of the same species or even remotely related.

That's why the Human/Engineer DNA samples don't line up perfectly but they're still a "Match" because the unique genetic markers Shaw was looking for in the Engineer DNA were exactly the same and matched 100% with our DNA.

Again, not the entire sample. JUST the unique genetic markers. 100% match. And you can see her reaction after the results pop up. Because there's no way all of those unique genetic markers could match 100% unless we were of the same species.

So what I've been saying has nothing to do with clones, identical twins or any of the other weird **** people came up with in regards to the "100% Match" result. :lol

Hopefully that makes things clear. :wave

If you guys watched the extras on the blu ray you wouldn't even be wasting your time arguing about this movie. They made this stuff up as they went. This was set to be a direct prequel to Alien but Ridley wanted to do something different and then they brought in Damon Lindelof. He is responsible for this montrocity that we got called Prometheus. He and Ridley created an alternate story while staying in the same universe. Also the reason they pushed the religions and our makers aspect. Fun stuff to watch iyam how they made the movie. Also IMO they have a better shot at fixing things with the sequel to Prometheus. And there's some great deleted scenes that should have been left in the movie. Poor choice of editing IMO. Love the "because I'm a human, and you're a F-ing robot" line.

Okay! Prometheus vs. Avatar

Winner = Prometheus :cool:

I'll def go with that.

Also, Smurfs > Avatar

I was very underwhelmed with Bladerunner.

Now that's a film that keeps giving after multiple views. Great characters, dialog, concept, the whole shebang. It might be a generational thing though. All I see in Prometheus is alot of style and little substance.

If you guys watched the extras on the blu ray you wouldn't even be wasting your time arguing about this movie. They made this stuff up as they went. This was set to be a direct prequel to Alien but Ridley wanted to do something different and then they brought in Damon Lindelof. He is responsible for this montrocity that we got called Prometheus. He and Ridley created an alternate story while staying in the same universe. Also the reason they pushed the religions and our makers aspect. Fun stuff to watch iyam how they made the movie. Also IMO they have a better shot at fixing things with the sequel to Prometheus. And there's some great deleted scenes that should have been left in the movie. Poor choice of editing IMO. Love the "because I'm a human, and you're a F-ing robot" line.

Sounds about right.

I watched the theatrical cut last night for the first time after seeing the deleted scenes. A few things that I took note of:

1. Charlie Holloway just does not come across as a credible scientist whatsoever. For the sake of disbelief suspension I just have to assume that he met Shaw early in his "career" and simply rode her coattails of knowledge and discipline. The movie is incredibly well served by the early deaths of him, Fifield and Milburn. Once those three ill executed (no pun intended) characters are removed the second half of the film just soars.

2. What's with the two guys standing guard outside Weyland's door when Vickers goes in to talk to him? They obviously stay on the ship and die in the crash but its funny that Jadek doesn't even ackowldege them when giving those in the cockpit the option to escape or die with him. :lol

3. Now after watching the extended Engineer scene its kind of funny that in the theatrical cut when Weyland's trying to get Shaw to shut up she gets hit in the stomach and he turns and says, "David, continue!" except that at that point in the theatrical cut David hadn't actually begun speaking yet. :D

4. For the first time I noticed that quick two second shot of Vickers climbing out of the ejected escape pod. It always came across as a bit of an abrupt jump to having her pod crash and then to just cut to a close-up of her standing closer to Shaw. Its cool that they did actually half a smoother segue than I had realized.

2. What's with the two guys standing guard outside Weyland's door when Vickers goes in to talk to him? They obviously stay on the ship and die in the crash but its funny that Jadek doesn't even ackowldege them when giving those in the cockpit the option to escape or die with him. :lol

I thought they went with him to meet the Engineer and both died when the Engineer went crazy on them.

Back