Official Hulk movie thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hulk Trailer to debut on Wed. March 12th

Hmmmmmm. Which Hulk do you like better.

thehulk-hulk-choppers.jpg
031208_hulk6.jpg

Not really much of a choice IMO.

I liked the A. Lee film but it left a lot to be desired and has not aged well. TIH looks to be more in the spirit of the Hulk comics. The CGI is a bit off but that can be fixed over the coming months. I do wish the abomination looked more like the comics. Oh well as long as they get the hulk right in looks (looks like they did) and personality. We need some HULK SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the explaination for Abomination's design...I think it makes sense and I look forward to seeing the battle where Abomination puts these physical weapons to use!

"I really wanted to justify [Abomination's] appearance. I really wanted to wrap my head around the original scaley-with-big-ears monster that was in the comic book, but I couldn't justify it. The guy isn't crossed with a fish; he's not crossed with a lizard. Just like the Hulk he's an über-human — his body, everything, grows out. And the way he gets injected with the serum, he's shot in the skin and the muscles, and shot inside the spine. That makes his bones grow thicker and bigger and longer, making him a super-weapon. So he's got that spine that flares out, which becomes a weapon. He’s got elbows that stick out and become these martial arts, Chinese knives — things that can slash back and forth. He's got this tongue thing and the heel-spikes… so he's a killing machine. It's pretty cool, it's funny. He's got bones sticking out, so it becomes like an exo-skeleton which he uses as armour..."

Here is the explaination for Abomination's design...I think it makes sense and I look forward to seeing the battle where Abomination puts these physical weapons to use!

"I really wanted to justify [Abomination's] appearance. I really wanted to wrap my head around the original scaley-with-big-ears monster that was in the comic book, but I couldn't justify it. The guy isn't crossed with a fish; he's not crossed with a lizard. Just like the Hulk he's an über-human — his body, everything, grows out. And the way he gets injected with the serum, he's shot in the skin and the muscles, and shot inside the spine. That makes his bones grow thicker and bigger and longer, making him a super-weapon. So he's got that spine that flares out, which becomes a weapon. He’s got elbows that stick out and become these martial arts, Chinese knives — things that can slash back and forth. He's got this tongue thing and the heel-spikes… so he's a killing machine. It's pretty cool, it's funny. He's got bones sticking out, so it becomes like an exo-skeleton which he uses as armour..."

Ok...so he should have some serious tricks up his sleeve. :D

Ang Lee's Hulk is underrated. I guess for those who just wanted Hulk to smash things, the profundity of the ideas and themes presented in the 2003 Hulk film were just too much and too little in certain points. It was too high brow in a genre with low brow expectations.

Ang Lee's Hulk isn't underrated, it just isn't very good. "High brow" entertainment is fine if you have engaging characters and a good story. The first Hulk movie had neither. Ang Lee obviously liked King Kong and Beauty and the Beast more than he liked Hulk itself and should have found a different character to showcase his take on repressed emotions and jellyfish.

I respect Universal for taking a chance with Lee, and Lee himself for taking those chances, I just wish the execution had manifested itself into a more engaging experience.

I have a lot of confidence with Norton involved that this will be far more than just a smash fest, don’t get me wrong I am sure there will be lot’s of smashing but there will also be a strong story to go with it I am sure.

Ang Lee's Hulk isn't underrated, it just isn't very good. "High brow" entertainment is fine if you have engaging characters and a good story. The first Hulk movie had neither. Ang Lee obviously liked King Kong and Beauty and the Beast more than he liked Hulk itself and should have found a different character to showcase his take on repressed emotions and jellyfish.

I respect Universal for taking a chance with Lee, and Lee himself for taking those chances, I just wish the execution had manifested itself into a more engaging experience.

To each his own. I thought it was very engaging, and mutated poodles aside, a very good film.

Abomination needs his scales and other fish-like attributes. He lives in the sewer.

Trailer was really cool, but I wasn't 'wowed' like I was by Iron Man. Maybe it's 'cause I've already seen Hulk in action? Who knows, but I've no doubt that this will be awesome.

031208_hulk6.jpg

I think the Ang Hulk looks alright. One thing I'm not a fan of on either one is the face, I don't know what it is, but neither does anything special for me. The body mass on Ang Hulk was better I think, this new one seems almost too lean looking. However, the new Hulk is more ripped looking which I think is better. Ang's Hulk has too soft a musculature, almost like he's just a giant version of a regular person, the new Hulk sells the transformation better like his skin can't contain his veins and muscles.

I do hope Amir's right and there is a good story with this. One thing about the trailer I'm not digging is it really plays up Hulk vs. Abomination and not so much Bruce Banner. I love how much reference to the Bixby show is going on, including the more Zombie like hulk eyes instead of the realistic ones in the Ang film. Cliche I know, but it'd be great if Norton says "don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

Does anyone know, will we hear Hulk speak in this one? I hope we get some "Hulk mash, Hulk smash" stuff. I didn't like the use of dialogue in Ang's Hulk, it was too coherent sounding and it's limited use made it feel almost innappropriate; had he said more throughout, it'd have sat better, but only be used in a mental dream and the final battle was somewhat bizarre and the whole "puny human" line felt like they forced a way to get it in there but didn't have a practical way.

Di'nt think the trailer was much but still going to see this, want to see hulk in a proper brawl fighting someone his equal just like i want to see supes do aswell.

031208_hulk6.jpg

Not really much of a choice IMO.

I liked the A. Lee film but it left a lot to be desired and has not aged well. TIH looks to be more in the spirit of the Hulk comics. The CGI is a bit off but that can be fixed over the coming months. I do wish the abomination looked more like the comics. Oh well as long as they get the hulk right in looks (looks like they did) and personality. We need some HULK SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO the 2003 Hulk's CGI holds up very well. I watched the behind the scenes featurettes (from the dvd) on the CGI used on Hulk and it was pretty extensive, with multiple passes to generate realistic dirt accumulation and muscle detail (stretching, contracting, etc). I was amazed when I watched the desert tank battle scene, especially after discovering that Ang Lee actually mo-capped most of the Hulk's onscreen performance himself! :lol When I see the two images JAWS posted above, I feel that the AL Hulk is more realistic.

Take a look at the new Hulk. Wouldn't you think that after having to dig yourself out of a crater you'd be covered in dirt, dust, and bits of debris? None there except for the little bit he shakes off when he rises out of the ground. It's a bit early to tell, but I hope they improve the CGI in the film. The CGI on both Abomination and Hulk look a bit too obvious.

I like the design of the new Hulk more than the 03 Hulk. He's ripped and is lean at the waist. The AL Hulk was almost too big and soft, almost making him look chubby in certain scenes.

We'll see...I will definitely see the movie but it didn't really do much for me like the Iron Man one did.

Are they doing another lab-exercise "Gamma exposure" thing like they did in Ang Lee's version? I so much more prefer the whole Gamma Bomb thing and I wish they would go with that...it'd make for so much more of an impressive scene on top of showing Banner's heroics when he rescues Rick Jones.

I think it's tough to do something like Ang Lee did with HULK...that "high-brow" emotional and mental voyage is something more fit for characters like Batman (which Nolan has done fantastically mixing action and all-the-other stuff with his "Begins" series).

When HULK came out, everyone wanted to see "Hulk Smash".....now you are!

When SUPERMAN RETURNS came out, everyone wanted to see Superman fighting a villain on equal power terms with him and not "evil real-estate agent" Lex Luthor...that why is failed.

High-brow is too much for characters like Superman and Hulk who are more about the "smash 'n bash".

This is your "Hulk Smash" movie and for what it is, I think it won't be a masterpiece of comic movies but it'll be entertaining.

what worries me the most is I was more "wow'd" by the Ghost Rider trailer ..... :monkey1

To each his own. I thought it was very engaging, and mutated poodles aside, a very good film.

I'm glad you still like it. I would have agreed with you completely after my first two viewings. After the novelty of seeing a live-action CGI Hulk and a more artistic approach to a comic book movie settled I found that personally there just wasn't much there.

About the new trailer, like others, I was a bit underwhelmed. I expected a reboot along the lines of Batman Begins, one that made you say, "FINALLY, THIS is the [insert relevant super hero] movie I've been waiting to see!!" I'm not getting that with this trailer. I'd say its about on par with the first X-Men trailer; not too impressive at least when the movie came out I was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully that's how The Incredible Hulk will be.

I don't think this was big enough news to start a thread over in the video games section, so I'll just post it here.

First screen shots and some details of the new Hulk movie game just went up this morning.

Although it's based off the new film, it'll play a lot like the well accepted "Hulk: Ultimate Destruction" game from a few years ago. Just think of it as Hulk: UD 2. YAY! :D

More details and pics:
https://pc.ign.com/articles/859/859127p1.html

Press release & fact sheet:
https://pc.ign.com/articles/859/859288p1.html

the-incredible-hulk-2008-20080312033845647.jpg

^ I hope that shot is close to what the actual movie Hulk looks like. I like it.

Last edited:

It's funny how video games struggle when they make movie adaptations.......

And then comic books (and comic book movies) struggle when they make video game adaptations.

Though comic book video games have been getting better lately...they still got some stinkers.

Hopefully this new Hulk game is good!

Well I'll admit that I wasn't impressed at all.

I thought that the trailer was pretty good until that CGI abomination, PUN INTENDED :monkey3, ran across the screen. The CGI looks horrible. The Hulk and Abomination both look ridiculous.

The other thing that makes this trailer look even worse is the Iron Man trailer, which is awesome.

Back