Official Hot Toys Pirates of the Caribbean Jack Sparrow DX06 Spec + Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this point, this figure is so amazing, the extra head is a bonus. I'm more than happy with just the one right now.

I really hope I like however the second head turns out. The current head seems too angry for Jack. I don't recall him ever furrowing his brow like that in the movie. He was kind of like Bugs Bunny throughout. Even when someone had him dead to rights (like when he was hanging upside down in front of Blackbeard) he seemed ready with a smile and a joke.

there were a few times he wasn't holly jolly smiling

https://www.moviesdx.com/wp-content...-4-on-stranger-tides-trailer-depp-500x276.jpg

https://media.theiapolis.com/d4-hF4...ohnny-depp-as-jack-sparrow-in-pirates-of.html

https://media.theiapolis.com/d4-hF4...ohnny-depp-as-jack-sparrow-in-pirates-of.html

then you have this mag cover too
Jack%2BSparrow%2BPirates%2Bof%2Bthe%2BCaribbean%2B4.jpg

Oh I know he didn't literally smile in every scene. I just don't recall him looking genuinely stern or angry, and if he actually did it was so fleeting it wouldn't warrant an immortal representation in plastic, IMO.

gotcha!

i find it odd though that even with Jack's typical fun personality most collectibles and toys give hin the stern look over the smirk/smile...I wonder why that's the go to expression they choose. Possibly easier to do? Or licensing reasons?

"neutral expression" is probably a better way of putting it, rather than "expressionless". Partly it's down to the artist but some of it has to be the input of the license holder and the personality whose portrait it is. It does seem to be the norm, with some notable exceptions (Aldo, King Leo alternative HS; Bruce Lee DX and MIS; Jack Sparrow alternative HS (maybe); Comedian etc).

With most characters it's fine, but for some it's a missed opportunity to really capture the essence of a character, ie Hans Landa. I think that, details aside, Arnie has got a good expression going on with Indy. If he revises this sculpt but retains something of this expression we'll end up with a great representation of Indy. I hope.

May be a neutral expression its easier to develop...

I've read somewhere that neutral expressions are most often the best ones for a number of different poses.
Even action poses work fairly well with a neutral face, while a neutral pose with an action face often looks kinda weird.

For instance a neutral pose with a battlecry facesculpt or something.

That is the main reason why HT chooses to do neutral sculpts. But I think they are willing to experiment a bit more with sculpts, and the new Jack smirk/smile face should be an example of that.

gotcha!

i find it odd though that even with Jack's typical fun personality most collectibles and toys give hin the stern look over the smirk/smile...I wonder why that's the go to expression they choose. Possibly easier to do? Or licensing reasons?

I agree. Smiling face for Jack is more funny IMO. I've read some HT interviews in magazines and HT was asked about this "stern look" problem.
Their answer (I don't remember the CEO / the sculptor) was that they had actually try different facial expressions for their figures. But in most cases the movie studio or the actor reject these "emotional" expression. In order to secure the actor or the movie studio's approval within a reasonable time, stern look is the promising way for HT to gain approval. So HT's sculptor already know how to secure their approval within the shortest time and they won't waste sculptor's effort if rejected.
So the question should be: why the actor or studio didn't approve "emotional" expressions?

I've read somewhere that neutral expressions are most often the best ones for a number of different poses.
Even action poses work fairly well with a neutral face, while a neutral pose with an action face often looks kinda weird.

That is the main reason why HT chooses to do neutral sculpts. But I think they are willing to experiment a bit more with sculpts, and the new Jack smirk/smile face should be an example of that.

Exactly, but that's why we're seeing multi-head figures, gives options for both sides of the expressive/neutral debate.

It looks like they'll be doing the cannibal throne, but its been a while since the cannibal figure so does that mean a NEW cannibal figure, otherwise i'll have to get two DX jacks

Yep. And yep. :goodpost:

I heard somewhere (maybe this thread) that Jack will have a new PERS system. I wonder if they've refined the tech to make it more durable?

Back