Have you ever been banned from Amazon for too many returns?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solidus

Super Freak
Reaction score
No, I haven't been banned from Amazon (sorry to get your hopes up :monkey3). But, I'm just curious, have any of you guys been banned from Amazon before, for excessive returning? I've read some old and recent stories in other forums, from people who have had their Amazon accounts revoked, and their Prime privileges stripped away (including their entire digital purchase library, if there was any). I have to say, some of the accounts did seemed rather silly, with buyers who have claimed that they were banned for returning five or seven items in the course of many years, or requesting "too many" price adjustments for items that were recently bought, and discounted shortly after purchasing. But, if all of this is indeed true, then it seems like Amazon is being extremely hostile to its buyers.

I've always loved purchasing on Amazon, and they're my favorite retailer because of their easy return policy and stellar customer service. In the course of two years, I've bought 64 items, and have returned 14, because some electronics have arrived defective, and I've had some books arrived damaged due to improper packaging. However, after reading all of these horror stories about being perma-banned, it has me thinking twice about buying from Amazon ever again. Although, I do love my Prime Membership with all of the movies and TV shows and that Free Two Day shipping is like sex :drool.

I would think it would have to be A LOT of returns for that to happen. And I don't see how they can take Prime away since it's a paid for service, unless they got refunded. Maybe they were sellers who were screwing people or something else they aren't saying. I looked and read all over Amazon and can't find a thing stating they limit returns.

There are many stores that limit returns but they tell you when you've reached it or are close.

Then again I haven't had anything come damaged either

Unfortunately, I haven't been so fortunate :lol. I've made several complaints to their customer service about the way Amazon packages their books, but they still arrive dented and scuffed.

I just wonder if there's anyone on SSF who has had their account locked by Amazon. I also wonder what qualifies as "excessive returns" before your account gets flagged. I might have to start going to Barnes and Noble to buy my books from now on.

I would think it would have to be A LOT of returns for that to happen. And I don't see how they can take Prime away since it's a paid for service, unless they got refunded. Maybe they were sellers who were screwing people or something else they aren't saying. I looked and read all over Amazon and can't find a thing stating they limit returns.

There are many stores that limit returns but they tell you when you've reached it or are close.

Yeah, I figured Amazon should at least send a courtesy email, if you've reach some kind of return quota. I guess I've just gotten a bit paranoid after reading some articles on the net about it.

Last edited:
It's an interesting question. My guess is it would have to be to the point where you're making many purchases and returning them all. Other than that, it would have to be some shady stuff going on along with the returns.

Amazon's packaging has been awful lately. I'm surprised some of mine items survived. My Hobbits sets always come in a box that's too big and it's sliding around inside. The last one came with ONE blow-up pouch in it that didn't do a thing. ONE! :lol

My hardcover books get it the worst. They used to shrinkwrap books against cardboard. Now they don't and the jacket can get messed up pretty badly. I don't think my returns are excessive, but it would be annoying if they tried to cut me off. Surely they give people some sort of notice?

Although maybe there's a difference between Returns and exchanges? I"m always just exchanging.

I've learned with Amazon, if you care about the condition of your book, or Blu-Ray cover or other item/item box-that-you-care-about-the-condition, you're better off getting it at the local store if you can. Their packing jobs are all over the place. I've had some really good packing from them, I've had sloppy packing with one bubble tossed in for numerous items that ended up sliding around (you're not the only one).

Best thing to do, either fuss at customer service, or KEEP leaving negative packaging feedback like they ask. Amazon has regularly been asking me how "their packing job was" so obviously this is getting some attention.

A number of years ago, there was some kind of glitch on Amazon which resulted in Marvel Hardcovers being priced at ridiculous prices (i.e. 80% off). I think I ordered a dozen books. I then called up Amazon and inquired about the sale and specifically noted that if this was indeed an error, would they be obligated to honor the sale? The CS said yes. Later that day, I received an e-mail stating that there indeed was a glitch and that all the orders were going to be cancelled. I called and made a bit of stink since I was assured I would get my books. They said they'd look into it and get back to me. End result: Because there was an earlier recording of CS telling me the order would honored, they were bound.

Moral of the story: When in doubt, call Amazon and be recorded.

I've been banned twice.

From here :)

:lol :lol :lol

It's an interesting question. My guess is it would have to be to the point where you're making many purchases and returning them all. Other than that, it would have to be some shady stuff going on along with the returns.

Yeah, I'd like to think that they're just punishing people who abuse the system, and not the buyers who've had genuine problems with their orders. It's pretty ridiculous if they hold customers accountable for returning or replacing orders that were improperly shipped by them.

Amazon's packaging has been awful lately. I'm surprised some of mine items survived. My Hobbits sets always come in a box that's too big and it's sliding around inside. The last one came with ONE blow-up pouch in it that didn't do a thing. ONE! :lol

My hardcover books get it the worst. They used to shrinkwrap books against cardboard. Now they don't and the jacket can get messed up pretty badly. I don't think my returns are excessive, but it would be annoying if they tried to cut me off. Surely they give people some sort of notice?

Although maybe there's a difference between Returns and exchanges? I"m always just exchanging.

I've learned with Amazon, if you care about the condition of your book, or Blu-Ray cover or other item/item box-that-you-care-about-the-condition, you're better off getting it at the local store if you can. Their packing jobs are all over the place. I've had some really good packing from them, I've had sloppy packing with one bubble tossed in for numerous items that ended up sliding around (you're not the only one).

Best thing to do, either fuss at customer service, or KEEP leaving negative packaging feedback like they ask. Amazon has regularly been asking me how "their packing job was" so obviously this is getting some attention.

It's good to know that I'm not alone on this :lol. I've received books AND Blu Rays that were just carelessly tossed into large boxes without any air packets, and arrived looking like they've been through some kind of war. I have noticed that my packages are arriving in a lot better shape that they were before, so I guess all of the complaints must be getting through to them.

A number of years ago, there was some kind of glitch on Amazon which resulted in Marvel Hardcovers being priced at ridiculous prices (i.e. 80% off). I think I ordered a dozen books. I then called up Amazon and inquired about the sale and specifically noted that if this was indeed an error, would they be obligated to honor the sale? The CS said yes. Later that day, I received an e-mail stating that there indeed was a glitch and that all the orders were going to be cancelled. I called and made a bit of stink since I was assured I would get my books. They said they'd look into it and get back to me. End result: Because there was an earlier recording of CS telling me the order would honored, they were bound.

Moral of the story: When in doubt, call Amazon and be recorded.

Yeah, their customer service is the best I've ever dealt with for any company. But, I'm just hesitant to ask them about the specifics that would cause someone to get banned. I don't want to give them the idea to start monitoring my buying habits :lol.

I haven't with Amazon. But another now out of business company tried to once. Because I was returning/asking for replacements on damaged DVDs and videogames, some were turning up out of the case and the discs were scratched. They told me I could get a replacement and if it turned up damaged I had to keep it. I told the normal representative that that was against their return policy and they said they didn't care. I told them I would take it up with their management and that they would probably lose their job. I guess they thought I was joking. But I didn't use them again anyway. Any time a company makes you go out of your way for simple customer service is a time to stop supporting that company. Especially for mail order items.

I've always loved purchasing on Amazon, and they're my favorite retailer because of their easy return policy and stellar customer service.

I see a lot of people talking about Amazon's "easy return policy and stellar customer service" but it has to be that way. They have customer service people in foreign countries. And their packaging/shipping is basically get as many items out as fast as possible. At least for the majority of items that I've ordered from Amazon.

Yep, they were lucky with one limited book that I ordered. Oversized and heavy and they didn't use any sort of bubblewrap or that bubble cushion that does very little. They mailed it out hoping that USPS wouldn't toss the box around and were lucky. It was pretty shocking. If the book wasn't in a strong slipcase the book would have been damaged.

I think Amazon will take a return/replacement 2 or 3 times. After that they "research" the item. Which means no more for you or that the item (if enough people are complaining about damages) will go on review.

Amazon uses robots a lot. That's what does their item picking. I have to wonder if they've figured out a way to use them for packing their shipments too.

Ive had them threaten to delete my account twice now due to excessive returns/credits..I order a ton of blu-ray movies (and a bunch of other stuff, I spend a TON on amazon), and i would say at one point 80% of my blu rays would come damaged..id call them and tell them, they offer a credit and a re-ship. It comes damaged, and again same thing..I had to have 5 shipments of the batman 90's movies box set be delivered before I got one that wasn't damaged. When I got their email, which just states that they'll closely examine my account and consider it for termination due to that reason, I emailed them back and blasted them that they have the audacity to send me that crap after they ship damaged crap to me…I even tell the csr that Im not looking for a credit, I just want my damn stuff on time and undamaged.

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon and have done 2 returns the entire time I've used them--both were items my wife wanted and then found out they weren't what she wanted. I've had some stuff this year arrive poorly packaged, mainly big boxes with little packaging for small items, but nothing has arrived with significant damage. The quality of packaging has definitely gone down in the years I've used them. It's made me be a little pickier about what I get from them. I don't usually get books from them unless it's a crazy good deal because I usually want to see the condition of the book in-hand first anyway. Movies and games just need to arrive without scratches on the disks--I don't care about the condition of the cases.

I do a ton of returns, but I try to tone it down. I think I'm good, never had a huge problem. I ordered Saga tpb once, and it was wet and damaged and ripped. I called and rep had a new one double sealed and shipped it that moment for overnight. Guess I get lucky.

Back