Nintendo Wii-U

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wpcontentuploads200811n.jpg

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

They must have done a terrible job promoting this, explaining this.
I know for a fact they confused a lot of people.

I even asked my girlfriend who has a 7 year old, who has a DS, Wii, if she knew what the Wi-U was or heard of it. She had no clue.

Sega has just confirmed to Kotaku that Aliens: Colonial Marines is no longer coming out on Wii U.

We first heard a few months ago that the Wii U version of the disastrous shooter had been "indefinitely postponed," but Sega denied that. Since then, the publisher has refused to comment on this version of Aliens: Colonial Marines. Now it's official.

"We are constantly looking at all areas of our business and in this case have made the decision to not continue development of the Wii U version," a Sega rep told Kotaku. "Rest assured that we have some fantastic developments for Wii U in the pipeline which we will announce at a later date."
Ouch. That's definitely bad news. I'm still a bit surprised they didn't just rush it out to make money off of it before people were wise enough to avoid it. (I still bought a copy for the PS3, but only because I forgot to cancel it before it shipped)

Lol. :rock

I even asked my girlfriend who has a 7 year old, who has a DS, Wii, if she knew what the Wi-U was or heard of it. She had no clue.

Yes, because single moms with full time jobs are the definitive source for gaming news and current trends in the gaming market.
:slap

Hell, if SHE didn't know, I'm surprised any of us were able to find out!
:lol

Exactly. Early adopters spread the word to their friends who spread the word to their friends and families and then you get the Wii and mainstream success.

I've never given a crap about which system launch is better or which system sold more units. Why should I? I have no stake in Sony, MS, or Nintendo. The only thing I do know is that my Wii U is collecting dust, and Nintendo is doing a horrible job of getting me excited for any games coming out this year from them. Is Brawl coming out? Is Zelda Hd coming? Mario Galaxy 3? Bayoneta 2? Give me something, ANYTHING.

I've never given a crap about which system launch is better or which system sold more units. Why should I? I have no stake in Sony, MS, or Nintendo. The only thing I do know is that my Wii U is collecting dust, and Nintendo is doing a horrible job of getting me excited for any games coming out this year from them. Is Brawl coming out? Is Zelda Hd coming? Mario Galaxy 3? Bayoneta 2? Give me something, ANYTHING.

I have to agree with this. The only system that is really getting me excited at this point is the PS4.

That said I bought the Wii U fully knowing that it would take time for the title I wanted to come out.

The spring system update will hit next week and include background software installations and faster loading times. About freakin' time.

Also, just announced coming to the virtual console:
earthboundbox.jpg

For realz. I **** you not. :yess:

The spring system update will hit next week and include background software installations and faster loading times. About freakin' time.

Also, just announced coming to the virtual console:
earthboundbox.jpg

For realz. I **** you not. :yess:

Yep and the Virtual Console will be updated as well.

The download store for Nintendo’s new home console will be morphing next week, alongside the long-awaited firmware update for the Wii U.

The new software will let you move data from one USB drive to another and supports automatic update downloads while in standby mode. Virtual console games will be playable off-tv on the Wii U gamepad and Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that the company’s looking to bring GBA and N64 games coming to the Wii U virtual console, as well.

https://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=201033

Based on the strong lineup of upcoming software titles for both the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems, Nintendo expects to return to Operating Income profitability by the end of the current fiscal year. During the next several months, Nintendo expects to launch new titles in the Mario Kart (Wii U), Super Mario Bros. (Wii U), Wii Fit (Wii U), Pikmin (Wii U), The Legend of Zelda (Wii U and Nintendo 3DS), Mario & Luigi (Nintendo 3DS) and Pokémon (Nintendo 3DS) franchises. These games, along with titles from Nintendo’s third-party publishing partners, will help drive hardware momentum and introduce new audiences to the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS platforms.

At this point, it's hard to believe more than half of that. Pikmin 3 pushed to August, Game & Wario in June, The Wonderful 101 still TBA... Now Nintendo is saying they can crank out a Mario Kart, a new SMB (assuming this isn't the Luigi DLC), and 2 Zelda games by the end of 2013?

I'd really like to believe this, but while we're still waiting for Wii U launch games 5 months after launch, it's hard to believe any announcements about release timeframes.

They're just not going to have a big press conference like the last few years.

Nintendo will not hold a major press conference at E3 2013. The news comes via a financial results briefing held today in which Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said he "would like to use this opportunity to talk about this year’s E3."

We decided not to host a large-scale presentation targeted at everyone in the international audience where we announce new information as we did in the past.

"We decided not to host a large-scale presentation targeted at everyone in the international audience where we announce new information as we did in the past," Iwata said. "Instead, at the E3 show this year, we are planning to host a few smaller events that are specifically focused on our software lineup for the U.S. market. There will be one closed event for American distributors, and we will hold another closed hands-on experience event, for mainly the Western gaming media."

Iwata explained the decision, pointing to recent Nintendo Direct presentations as an example of the company's new approach.

"In the past we invited reporters, investors and analysts, industry partners, such as software publishers, and distributors who attended E3 to our large-scale presentations," Iwata explained. "We also used them as a communication tool in which we broadcast our presentations on the Internet to reach out to video game fans around the globe. I believe that many are expecting us to host a similar event this year. On the other hand, since we set out on new endeavors such as Nintendo Direct two years ago in October, we have been paying special attention to the fact that different people demand different types of information from us."

"For example, as video game fans are looking for information about games, it seems that they are less interested in sales figures that investors and analysts on the other hand attach much greater importance to, and distribution partners are looking for information on how we are going to market our products in the immediate future," he continued. "At previous financial briefing sessions we announced information about our products, showed videos and even uploaded the recording of these events onto our website, but given that we now have an established method such as Nintendo Direct, we feel that we will be able to deliver our messages more appropriately and effectively by doing so individually based on the various needs of different groups of people.

"At E3 this year, we are not planning to launch new hardware, and our main activity at E3 will be to announce and have people experience our software. Many people are certainly very interested in learning more about the Wii U titles that we are going to announce. We will use E3 as an ideal opportunity to talk in detail mainly about the Wii U titles that we are going to launch this year, and we also plan to make it possible for visitors to try the games immediately. As a brand new challenge, we are working to establish a new presentation style for E3."

"Also, I did not speak at last year’s presentation, and I am not planning to speak at these events at the E3 show this year either," Iwata added. "Apart from these exclusive events for visitors, we are continuing to investigate ways to deliver information about our games directly to our home audience around the time of E3. We will share more information about them once they have officially been decided. During the E3 period, we will utilize our direct communication tools, such as Nintendo Direct, to deliver information to our Japanese audience, including those who are at this financial briefing, mainly focusing on the software that we are going to launch in Japan, and we will take the same approach outside Japan for the overseas fans as well."

Previously, Nintendo confirmed that new entries in the Smash Bros., Mario and Mario Kart franchises will appear at E3 2013 in some form. We've reached out to Nintendo for further clarification on Iwata's statement and will update this story with any comment we receive.

Sounds to me like there will be less bull****ting on their part...good.

I just read that Nintendo is basically bowing out of E3. WTF is going on? :dunno

Apple proved long ago that announcing crap on their own terms is better than announcing crap on other people's terms. Looks like other companies are finally catching on.

To me it sounds like they don't have **** to show and are bowing out to attempt to save face.

I think they're not worrying about putting on a big show and focusing resources where it matters, on the games. What your stating could be a factor as well though. However, I don't think it's a matter of not having anything to show. As they stated, they don't have any big hardware and their new system is already out. So while the other companies are going to be touting their new systems, Nintendo will sit quietly in the corner showing off cool games....hopefully...

I kept wondering why they'd announce all the great stuff on a basic Nintendo Direct with Iwata.... now I know.

I find it funny that Nintendo knows everyone loves Earthbound, yet they don't bother making a sequel.

I think it's a case of the fan base being really outspoken. If it were released today, I'm not sure it would sell well. Sure the hardcore fans would buy it but the general gaming audience...I dunno.

I think it would dominate in Japan though.

I am really glad it's finally coming to the VC, hopefully it sells well and gets Nintendo to start on some sort of follow up. Maybe even an english release of "Earthbound 2" on the VC :pray:

Back