Nintendo Wii-U

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Wii had similar problems with 3rd party developers, it seemed no one could grasp how to make a game for it. It basically became a system for Nintendo games, most of the Wii's top sellers were Nintendo made games. Now Nintendo want 3rd party devs to make games for the Wii-U they want the so called hardcore gamers back. Problem is that most of the launch titles were just ports of last year's games. Now with Ubisoft delaying Rayman it doesn't help anyone. Then the much improved version of Ninja Gaiden 3 is coming to the other consoles in April, so people keep seeing more and more reason to wait.

Nintendo are in a sticky situation if Sony and Microsft do in fact launch new consoles this holiday season unless they get some big titles out.

It's surprising they did so little to assure the exclusivity of many of the big draws to the console, they only have a couple games this year that aren't Nintendo games that will sell well. Even on their own games they are doing a poor job--Nintendoland is no Wii Sports, New Super Mario Bros is a rehash, Pikmin 3 is delayed, and then there's a remake of a Zelda game.

Nintendo needs to do one of two things:

1) Drive up to developers offices with a dump truck of cash and pay for an exclusive game that could be later ported to the other systems. (Like Microsoft did at the begining of the Xbox 360)

2) Get out of the console hardware biz and make multiplatform games (that we all know would sell more than COD is planned correctly).

Nintendo designs their hardware to cater to the types of games they want to make. Going software only is not in their blood and it would end just as poorly as it did for SEGA, if not worse. :monkey2

Meh, I bought a Wii U for the Nintendo titles. Thats why I purchase Nintendo systems. I wish Nintendo would get out of the console business and just focus on making kick *** games.

I sometimes think this may be the best route, but looking at what became of Saga makes me shudder :lol

Still haven't bought one of these myself. I made the mistake of early adopting every console system since the PS2 and found myself messing around with the OS on it more than playing games until something I actually wanted to play came out, which usually wasn't for a while. The Zelda remake perks my interest a little, but I want something new to fork over $$$ for a new console.

I've waited and waited on the 3DS, and finally Fire Emblem came out, and my waiting payed off: the sweet Fire Emblem bundle is awesome.

I sometimes think this may be the best route, but looking at what became of Saga makes me shudder :lol

Still haven't bought one of these myself. I made the mistake of early adopting every console system since the PS2 and found myself messing around with the OS on it more than playing games until something I actually wanted to play came out, which usually wasn't for a while. The Zelda remake perks my interest a little, but I want something new to fork over $$$ for a new console.

I've waited and waited on the 3DS, and finally Fire Emblem came out, and my waiting payed off: the sweet Fire Emblem bundle is awesome.

To be completely honest I haven't played mine all that much. But it's hard to find the time. I do believe it is a quality system. I just can't wait for some games!

It's surprising they did so little to assure the exclusivity of many of the big draws to the console, they only have a couple games this year that aren't Nintendo games that will sell well. Even on their own games they are doing a poor job--Nintendoland is no Wii Sports, New Super Mario Bros is a rehash, Pikmin 3 is delayed, and then there's a remake of a Zelda game.

:exactly: I think this is what pisses me off the most. Instead of at least teasing us with a NEW Zelda announcement they give us another remake. There's only so many times I'll rebuy the same game...even if its Zelda.

The Wii had similar problems with 3rd party developers, it seemed no one could grasp how to make a game for it. It basically became a system for Nintendo games, most of the Wii's top sellers were Nintendo made games. Now Nintendo want 3rd party devs to make games for the Wii-U they want the so called hardcore gamers back. Problem is that most of the launch titles were just ports of last year's games. Now with Ubisoft delaying Rayman it doesn't help anyone. Then the much improved version of Ninja Gaiden 3 is coming to the other consoles in April, so people keep seeing more and more reason to wait.

Nintendo are in a sticky situation if Sony and Microsft do in fact launch new consoles this holiday season unless they get some big titles out.

This describes me to a T. None of the launch games made me want to camp out for a Wii U. Arkham City looked awesome, but like you said it's last years game dressed up with a couple new features. I just 100% Platinum'd it for the PS3 I don't have the desire to revisit it again unless it's just to lay the beat down on some thugs in the challenge arena.

WiiU needs more third party developers like Criterion.

mostwantedwiiu-gamepad-remote-a4-70dpi_599x350.jpg

Since the tail end of 2011, a core team of engineers at Criterion has been working with the Wii U. The final hardware launched in November, and Criterion started to scratch its collective noggin and figure out how it would work for Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

This meant missing the Wii U launch, but Criterion Games' Alex Ward was fine with that during a preview session last week – if Need for Speed: Most Wanted had been at launch, it would've lacked all online functionality.

"The reason we didn't do the game for launch is because the online side of it wasn't very clear to us," said Ward. "We weren't sure how much we could do online or how it was going to be, because obviously Nintendo were making a lot of changes up until their run-up to launch. So we didn't want to bring the game out at launch on Wii U with no online play."

The extra time was not spent in vain, something that became obvious once Most Wanted was up and running on a television. The Wii U port pulls in the PC assets and immediately sports a much longer draw distance and better frame rate than its console cousins. Having played my fair share of Need for Speed: Most Wanted, the work that went into this Wii U version was clear – and not just in graphical fidelity, either.

"When we got the final hardware in November, we started to look at it, to really experience it, and start to think that just a port isn't going to cut it. Like we'd be embarrassed if we didn't do anything extra; putting something out, any team could do that."

It was during this period that the studio came up with the idea of a "father and son" mode, officially called Co-Driver in-game. It's a type of co-existence, featuring a touchscreen menu of gameplay options, where two players can both contribute to the game and take over driving duties on the fly. Cops hassling you? Use the WiiPad to disrupt their pursuit and let your buddy get away. Night blindness? Switch it to daytime. Don't want all that pesky traffic in the way during the next race? Turn traffic off.

These are basic wingman types of assistance that the GamePad can employ at any time, but the most useful is being able to switch rides. Outside of the Wii U, the Easy Drive menu makes it fairly painless to jump into another car, but you've got to take your eyes off the road and navigate through a few menus to hop in your preferred whip. Now a pal can do it for you while you concentrate on beating your friends' speed trap time.

This is the head space that Criterion was looking to get into, where Nintendo envisioned this console as a group living room experience. "Wii U to us means two or more people together on a sofa. It's not enough to have the game running on the GamePad screen. "Wii U is about playing together. Wii U is about sharing that experience with everyone else who is in the room, so you've got to entertain that entire living room."

Co-Driving itself feels like a natural fit for the Wii U. An icon interface allows WiiPad holders to switch settings with a simple tap. Of course, it's not only great for assistance, but also a potent fuel for griefing because, at the touch of an icon, both players can have control of the car at the same time. So why not slam on the brakes during the last lap of a grueling race? It would be practically irresponsible not to!

Need for Speed: Most Wanted will support every peripheral for the Wii U, so if you want to drive using the WiiPad, Wiimote and Nunchuk, the Pro Controller or even just the Wiimote by itself, you can. The game also supports motion controls so if you've been dying to break out that Mario Kart wheel again, it's entirely possible.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted on Wii U is the entire stock Most Wanted game, plus the Ultimate Speed Pack DLC. It pulls up to the starting line on Wii U in North America March 19, and in Europe on March 21.

^
I actually plan to purchase that game for the Wii U even though I already have if for the 360. Those feature sound great.

Has anyone had issues with the Wii U Gamepad not connecting with the console? Tonight when I turned it on, it gave me the message on the gamepad screen that I needed to get closer to the Wii U because it couldn't get a signal, yet I was 5 feet in front of it.

I tried unplugging the system and re-syncing the controller, but I'm still getting the message. :(

I haven't really played with my Wii-U either.

I need to figure out where to put the sensor bar. I have the console in my home cinema and the bar at the bottom of my 118" screen but it doesn't feel optimal, but putting it at the top would be a wire nightmare...

Nintendo announced a Luigi-themed DLC pack for New Super Mario Bros. U in today's Nintendo Direct. The DLC, titled 'New Super Luigi U,' applies changes to the main campaign to make every single course "all-new", essentially allowing for a new Luigi campaign.

The DLC is coming this year. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said the content was "large-scale," similar to that of a new game, and will therefore take some time to develop.

[ame]https://youtu.be/2AogudjYb6Q[/ame]

This morning's Nintendo Direct was all about the games, specifically those starring the likes of Luigi. But inbetween news of DLC updates, Nintendo's Bill Tritten made casual mention of Google Maps with Street View availability for North American Wii U owners. To recap, the service -- which is free-to-download right now on the eShop -- brings the GMaps you know and love to the widescreen and the GamePad, as well. What's still unknown, however, is whether or not Nintendo intends to eventually charge users for access to the app's Panorama View-like feature, much like the company plans to do in Japan later this summer.

wiiugooglestreetview620x340pxtake2wmed22-1360853370.jpg

I was super excited about that Luigi DLC until they said "later this year". :slap

Lots of good stuff coming to the 3DS... :huh

Why does it seem like us Nintendo fans need to be shoved in to the corner of this section? This US gaming town needs an enema.

Back