Nintendo 3DS & 3DSXL General Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Nintendo 3DS

Got the Lego Star Wars for the Boys, I may get the Street Fighter for myself in a few days.

Man, still haven't seen one in person yet. Wonder when the display units will be out en masse.

I am totally loving this system! I can't wait until we can start downloading games.

Seems alot of poeple got the system and some games, but no one is oohing and ahhing over it yet.
Where are the reviews? Just a bunch of "I got it." Well let us know with pics and reviews.

^ nice haul.

Anyway, here's my Mii, friend code and QR code, guys. Add me! Post your codes too.

friend code: 2964-8587-3063

jaymii.jpg

HNI_0010.jpg

The QR was really neat. barley held the system to the screen and it popped out plasmids mii.

Friend Code: 0774-4254-5879

HNI_0005.jpg
HNI_0004.jpg

Tried out Nintendogs, this dog looks just like my dog I had as a kid.

HNI_0002.jpg

Added you guys, here is mine
friend code: 3695-0040-4166
7efccba8.jpg

2cf597a7.jpg

Ok, so some initial thoughts:

Fighting off legions of my dog wearing a shogun helmet is fun and hilarious.

The AR games are pretty basic, but work very well as a tech demo for the system. I can't for the life of me figure out the fishing game, though. The other AR cards produce little 3D models of the characters on them. Being a collector, though, I wish I had actual models.

The only real game I have right now is Street Fighter. The 3D effect is pretty impressive. Playing in the over the shoulder mode is a must. I like having the special attacks mapped to the touchscreen instead of having to memorize button combos, though I'm sure some Street Fighter purists would disagree.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. I also like that I have a second DS now, so I can transfer my Pokemon from one game to another.

Seems alot of poeple got the system and some games, but no one is oohing and ahhing over it yet.
Where are the reviews? Just a bunch of "I got it." Well let us know with pics and reviews.

I'm certainly still oohing and ahhing over mine. So much so that I haven't really taken the time to put my impressions into words. I posted pics a few pages ago though.

I really like the hardware. It feels solid and well designed. Before actually having one I thought the DSi and XL looked better in terms of color tone and aesthetics, but once I had the 3DS in hand I was really surprised. The black one, at least, is probably the sleekest Nintendo product I've ever owned.

The controls feel good. The circle pad especially feels great. It's a major improvement over the PSP nub. The d-pad doesn't work so well for Street Fighter and it squeaks at times but it clicks so it's already an improvement over the one on my DS Lite. The face buttons make an audible click, as do the shoulder buttons. I still don't like where the start, select, and home buttons are placed. The best thing about the 3DS though is its operating system. It's probably the most extensive of all Nintendo devices. I love that I can instantly suspend any activity on the 3DS and start another. It's very modern considering how slow Nintendo usually is with this sort of thing.

3D works well for the most part. The viewing angle is very narrow, as often pointed out. The 3DS home menu interface is displayed in 3D, making icons pop out of the screen. This is neat, but I reverted to 2D in order to save battery life. I also bumped down the brightness to about 2 or 3 (out of 5 levels). The battery life on the 3DS is certainly very short. I timed it: 3:45 minutes from full power to drained battery from lots of gameplay w/wi-fi on and 3D on. Turn those features off and the battery life is better.

AR games and its implementation into real games will be the feature that really shows what the 3DS can do. I've shown Face Raiders to my gf and some friends and they loved it. Taking pictures of friends, having the 3DS transform those faces into little flying enemies and then shooting them down was surprisingly fun. The AR cards are also great and the more you play the more games you unlock.

As for retail games, I bought Super Street Fighter IV, Pilotwings, Rayman 3D and Ridge Racer. Pilotwings and Ridge Racer are fun diversions, but they're short, as expected. Wasn't wowed by the 3D in these games. Street Fighter is a system seller. It has almost everything the console versions have and looks almost as good. Online matches were smooth, generally lag-free. The controls take some time to get used to. The D-pad is disappointingly unsuitable for a lot of special moves so I found myself using the circle pad more. The 3D over-the-shoulder view is great for about 10 minutes but I restored the traditional view mode rather quickly. Overall I feel that this is my favorite game of launch. Rayman has the best 3D in the bunch, but it has some framerate troubles.

Overall hardware pros:
Slick hardware
3D works
controls, especially circle pad
AR games
OS

cons:
short battery life
bottom screen is actually the same size as the DS Lite. I thought it'd be the size of the DSi :(
location of start, select, home buttons
sound level with headphones on isn't as high or as clear as I was hoping
location of stylus is awkward

Added you guys, here is mine
friend code: 3695-0040-4166
7efccba8.jpg

2cf597a7.jpg

Added you. :)

Last edited:

My biggest gripe is the location of the power button. The number of times I've hit it thinking it's start and I've had to enter sleep mode. Alot of the games don't have sleep mode and I'm bored with playing the same level on Lego Star Wars because of this reason.

The AR free fishing is cool. I saw a Lakitu fishing and he caught a Blooper. Awesome! :yess:

Just to let anybody know who has the 3DS. There is an update that includes a music video from OK GO in 3D. Nothing spectacular but fun to check out

I haven't had a problem with the battery life yet. I played Face Raiders and AR games all day yesterday at work and never went under 50%.

Yeah my battery has been going fairly strong for me as well.

The hinge seems a tad loose though, not horrid but could be better.

Anyone else have the issue that if you play for a period of time, and then read something (norm of forums), that the text itself starts to have that 3d effect as well?

Back