NEXT Star Wars 1/6th Figure...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since Marvel is also a Disney property I would imagine HT are doing what their chief license holder asks of them. This is far beyond HT and what they "want" to bring to market. They are the mouse's beeatch now.

Marvel is their first priority. Iron man especially. It could be a year or more before we see any new Star Wars announcements. Ask the DC folks about that.

I'm still not worrying about the lack of Star Wars announcements unless we get beyond May The 4th without any. If that happens, then the writing may indeed be on the wall that they're turning the license way down to just a couple figures a year.

They probably won't be able to show any ROGUE ONE stuff until Lucasfilm gives them the go-ahead, which may not be until Force Friday again (which is in October this year). If we get past 5/4 and nothing new has been shown, then we may only see a couple of ROGUE ONE figures and that's it for the year. :(

Star Wars seems to be selling well enough to generate re-issues and 2nd runs... and the factory resources might be focusing on that right now.

That plus it is their window for Civil War. After Civil War it will be Suicide Squad. Or something else. I don't expect a slew of Star Wars until closer to Rogue One. SDCC we'll see some product and then even more in Sept/Oct prior to the movie's release.

Star Wars seems to be selling well enough to generate re-issues and 2nd runs... and the factory resources might be focusing on that right now.

That plus it is their window for Civil War. After Civil War it will be Suicide Squad. Or something else. I don't expect a slew of Star Wars until closer to Rogue One. SDCC we'll see some product and then even more in Sept/Oct prior to the movie's release.

There's ten years of Star Wars ahead of us, no need for them to over-saturate the market now. But having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if an Empire wave was on the way, purely because of the E-Web reissue.

I think I will be fine if HT doesn't issue any new Star Wars figures for awhile. I have 6 on pre-order now! Just ordered Finn with Riot Control Stormtrooper and the regular ROTJ Boba Fett to go along with Leia, Phasma, Chewie, and Rey with BB-8! I need a Detolf cabinet now...

Well, it certainly seems like the great era of HT SW OT figs - where we get dozens of characters including second-tier characters like Dengar, Greedo or Ackbar - is just not going to happen.

Given how this has gone, I'm starting to feel that all we're going to get OT-wise over the next decade is the core heroes from each OT movie plus anything that crosses over from the stand-alone movies like RO (like an OT Tarkin if he's featured prominently in Rogue One, maybe crossovers like young Greedo from a Solo standalone movie if he's a key villain.)

Let's face it - not including re-issues (like Spacetrooper, Luke Stormie etc.) we've gotten less than ten OT figures out of HT in two years. And that includes everything announced up to today. If we get less than five OT figs on average in the first two "bursting onto the SW scene" years of the license, how does that bode for the next eight?

HT and SW is about doing the premium characters from each new mainline and spinoff movie, plus a few OT classics - and that's it. And even that's sketchy - where's Poe and old Han?

And with Sideshow now a re-release factory with a dwindling output of new 1/6 SW, I no longer see a bright future for the cool niche characters of the OT in 1/6. Yes, we will get a HT Yoda, Luke Jedi, Han Bespin, Leia Hoth, maybe Lando - heroes in the main outfits, but I don't think we'll ever see a HT Lando Skiff, Snowtrooper, Bossk, Veers, Dengar, Greedo, Jabba's goons, Hoth troops etc. And with SSC getting out of the game while pricing themselves out of the game, there will be no other options.:(

Good time for a small company to move in and fill that niche.

Likely Disney makes the license too expensive for a new company to squeeze in with dreams of giving us 3rd tier and background characters only.

I just need Poe and all my TFA wishes are dealt with. I'm hoping HT didn't anticipate that he would be a popular character, hence the delay.

Hopefully that's the reason. Would you want him in his jacket at the beginning or his orange jumpsuit?

I feel like they both got pretty equal screen time, but I'd rather he come in his X-Wing flight suit, so that I don't have to figures wearing the same jacket on the shelf. Big fashion faux pas.

I want poe in his jump suit. Old han and old luke. I realise old luke will probably be next film.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Well, it certainly seems like the great era of HT SW OT figs - where we get dozens of characters including second-tier characters like Dengar, Greedo or Ackbar - is just not going to happen.

Given how this has gone, I'm starting to feel that all we're going to get OT-wise over the next decade is the core heroes from each OT movie plus anything that crosses over from the stand-alone movies like RO (like an OT Tarkin if he's featured prominently in Rogue One, maybe crossovers like young Greedo from a Solo standalone movie if he's a key villain.)

Let's face it - not including re-issues (like Spacetrooper, Luke Stormie etc.) we've gotten less than ten OT figures out of HT in two years. And that includes everything announced up to today. If we get less than five OT figs on average in the first two "bursting onto the SW scene" years of the license, how does that bode for the next eight?

HT and SW is about doing the premium characters from each new mainline and spinoff movie, plus a few OT classics - and that's it. And even that's sketchy - where's Poe and old Han?

And with Sideshow now a re-release factory with a dwindling output of new 1/6 SW, I no longer see a bright future for the cool niche characters of the OT in 1/6. Yes, we will get a HT Yoda, Luke Jedi, Han Bespin, Leia Hoth, maybe Lando - heroes in the main outfits, but I don't think we'll ever see a HT Lando Skiff, Snowtrooper, Bossk, Veers, Dengar, Greedo, Jabba's goons, Hoth troops etc. And with SSC getting out of the game while pricing themselves out of the game, there will be no other options.:(

I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.

I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.

"Woohoo! Hot Toys announces a Yoda!"

"Eh? What's that?!"

Methuselah.gif

Ship date: 4th Q, 2021
:lol

"Woohoo! Hot Toys announces a Yoda!"

"Eh? What's that?!"

Methuselah.gif

Ship date: 4th Q, 2021

But seriously, I don't think we were ever going to get dozens of second-tier characters, and this is complicated by HT having to share the license with SS, otherwise I'm sure they'd have done Snowspeeder Luke and the bounty hunters. They're also having to combine OT releases with ST releases - it's not like they have to combine Marvel releases with figures from much older movies. But I do think we'll get more OT characters than just Bespin Han etc etc.

They've taken the almost unprecedented step of doing a second run of some figures, so they can see the money there is to be made. They paid loads of money for the license so they have to make that back. And as for second-tier characters, we've seen plenty of those in both Marvel and Nolan Batman releases, their most successful licenses prior to SW - Alfred, two Gordon's, Maria Hill, Pepper Potts, even Stan Lee! I don't think anyone expects HT to do Bespin Ice Cream Machine Guy, but I don't see why they wouldn't do Greedo, Tuskens, Tarkin, Rebel Pilots (already have a helmet they can kit bash from the blast shield accessory) Snowtroopers, ESB Lando, Slave Leia, The Emperor, Emperor's Royal Guard, Ewoks, Scout Troopers... all of those would sell through, at varying speeds perhaps, but they would sell out more or less reliably. Likewise a Tauntaun and Wampa that used what they'd learnt on Chewie. Jabba's Palace has many aliens but no one stand out alien they could do; maybe they'll do a Jabba one day. I'd be despondent if all of the figures released so far had sold badly, but they clearly haven't. And I kind of wonder how good SW has been for their other brands - I wouldn't be surprised if SW collectors had come to HT for the first time and decided to buy into a couple of other lines.

HT Yoda will be soon. I mean, its a little figure, they'll sell Luke again with it (complete re-use) and jack the price up to $289.99 for the Dagobah set.

No brainer for the way HT thinks.

But Greedo... no. Tusken Raiders.... no. Unless they can sell you another Han and Luke respectively to jack up the price.

As for the Maria Hill example, I feel they made that because it's really cheap to produce but they maintain their current price-point -- like they did with Leia. Leia is no way a $200 figure.

They didn't make that guy with the cage-face that bossed around Loki in Avengers. He seemed pretty significant on the villain side. They didn't make Grillo either.

Maybe they just make what Howard Chan likes. It could be that simple.

Last edited:
Back