New Tomb Raider game

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel that gamers have already had tons of chances to explore and shoot stuff as the 'half naked chick' version of Lara. It's time for a new approach. Lara was on need for an overhaul for a long time. Even then, I don't believe it's such a drastic change that (the hornier) fans need to get all frustrated, because aside from altering her outfit and reducing her chest size (both changes are befitting for a character who's 21, right?), they haven't altered a whole lot. The new Lara could eventually grow into the Lara we've known for the past 15 years.

From what Ive been reading, the Tomb Raider name doesn't have the same selling power that it did back in the nineties. The previous game didn't sell as well as expected, even though gameplay-wise it was received well. Therefore The fault must lie with the character then, and altering her drastically must have seemed like the best way to go about refreshing the brand name.

I never disliked the old Lara, I just don't like the image of video games that she was associated with for a while after she made her debut. She comes from the era when there was a lot of over the top excess. She was a teenage boy's object of desire, a piece of exploitation. A revolving door of live models. A Playboy spread. A nude hack, for pete's sake!

Gamers have gotten older, and so has the industry, so I think Lara has to also. By making Lara a more realistic character, I might actually be more interested in learning about her and her story. When she was an impervious millionaire achaeologist supermodel with giant cans and skimpy clothing (totally unfit for her profession), I never cared about HER because she was so ridiculous.

Last edited:
Anyone know who will do the voice? Keeley Hawes? I really like her voice, but I am not sure if they feel it will work with a new look. I think it will. I am a huge fan of Karima. definitely my favorite Lara model.

Anyone know who will do the voice? Keeley Hawes? I really like her voice, but I am not sure if they feel it will work with a new look. I think it will. I am a huge fan of Karima. definitely my favorite Lara model.

I was wondering about that as well. I think Keeley's voice still fits but she would have to play the role slightly differently. More naive and less confident in herself.

To those who still can't grasp the new direction Crystal Dynamics are going for with Tomb Raider, here's what the games Art Director Brian Horton has to say on Lara's new look:

“There is a different tone we are going for across the board, and Lara Croft as a sex object isn’t our goal,”

“As far as sex appeal, we are always thinking about making a character that people want to play, and part of that is a level of attractiveness and being drawn to Lara,” he said.

“But we don’t want to play up sexuality for sexualities sake. We are constantly talking about context and motivation on this project. If for any reason we wanted to put her in a situation that would be alluring, it isn’t to be alluring. It would be because the situation called for it.” “Lara is a lover of archeology and she has these book smarts. Her brains are another huge part of her sex appeal. She is an attractive girl who doesn’t play up her looks, but she is super smart and she is very ambitious.”

“Ultimately, what I think is going to be compelling about this – and what our version of sexy is – is the toughness through adverse conditions,” he said. “Seeing her survive through these moments. Her skin is still bare on the arms and there are going to be rips and tears on her clothes, but it won’t be about being revealing. It’s a way of saying that through these tough situations, there is a beauty and vulnerability coming through. I think that is sexy in its own way.”

I guess, as long as this game can stay true to life, it will be a lot of fun. What I mean by that is, while I play Underworld for the ps3 (right now) even when she walks into bushes, they move. The birds are beautiful, the animals don't disappear when you kill them. It's just, a really nice change from the ps2.

I feel that gamers have already had tons of chances to explore and shoot stuff as the 'half naked chick' version of Lara. It's time for a new approach. Lara was on need for an overhaul for a long time. Even then, I don't believe it's such a drastic change that (the hornier) fans need to get all frustrated, because aside from altering her outfit and reducing her chest size (both changes are befitting for a character who's 21, right?), they haven't altered a whole lot. The new Lara could eventually grow into the Lara we've known for the past 15 years.

From what Ive been reading, the Tomb Raider name doesn't have the same selling power that it did back in the nineties. The previous game didn't sell as well as expected, even though gameplay-wise it was received well. Therefore The fault must lie with the character then, and altering her drastically must have seemed like the best way to go about refreshing the brand name.

I never disliked the old Lara, I just don't like the image of video games that she was associated with for a while after she made her debut. She comes from the era when there was a lot of over the top excess. She was a teenage boy's object of desire, a piece of exploitation. A revolving door of live models. A Playboy spread. A nude hack, for pete's sake!

Gamers have gotten older, and so has the industry, so I think Lara has to also. By making Lara a more realistic character, I might actually be more interested in learning about her and her story. When she was an impervious millionaire achaeologist supermodel with giant cans and skimpy clothing (totally unfit for her profession), I never cared about HER because she was so ridiculous.

That's not ridiculous, not every character needs to be completely grounded and tangible, she's like James Bond combined with Indiana Jones. She's a millionaire so she can be as extreme as she wants to be.

But my point is she hasn't nearly been as half naked and sexy as people made her to be. The games never took it as far as I thought they should. We need far more sexy and unlockable outfits on the consoles, whats the harm? If you want them maybe they can be a DLC outfit pack? I see no harm in making her clothes skimpier.

I'm quite looking forward to this game; I really hope that it turns out well. Lara's new look is certainly interesting.
Of course, nothing's been seen of the actual gameplay yet though so I'll reserve judgement until we know a bit more, but, potentially, this could be a winner. One to watch, definitely.

Ok, I'll just come out and say it: I want this game to be an uncharted clone........and by clone, I mean a game with a badass story, cool supporting characters and awesome graphics.....

Graphics > boobs (in gameworld)

Ok, I'll just come out and say it: I want this game to be an uncharted clone........and by clone, I mean a game with a badass story, cool supporting characters and awesome graphics.....

Graphics > boobs (in gameworld)

It'll be like Uncharted....with zombies! :panic:

That's not ridiculous, not every character needs to be completely grounded and tangible, she's like James Bond combined with Indiana Jones. She's a millionaire so she can be as extreme as she wants to be.

The thing is, even James Bond is now of a more realistic character. And Indy is older.

Frankly, I still think the new Lara is sexy. Good enough for me.

Give me a butt ugly Lara with an excellent story and characters I give a hoot about, and I'll call it a day

Ugly chicks > pretty chicks that know it (game world and real world)

I've been a fan of the series for a while and I think that this could turn out good. I am really looking forward to this game. I don't the change in appearance or age and personality of the character will hurt too much.

Given that this genre immediately recalls games like Uncharted 2 must really place extra pressure on the dev team to deliver a top notch experience. Hope they do!

Given that this genre immediately recalls games like Uncharted 2 must really place extra pressure on the dev team to deliver a top notch experience. Hope they do!

Aside from being third person we don't really know what genre it is yet...

It looks like they're going for a more survival horror aspect which could be just what the series needs to get out of Uncharted's shadow.

Well, Uncharted is amazing. To me, a good shadow to be in. :D But I realize it needs to stand on it's own. I like that's it third person. I just hope that they stay true to the character while they do this rebuild.

looking good :D
we both can't wait 'till the arrival of a trailer :D (and the game itself ofc)

Back