New Tomb Raider game

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's odd that the original Tomb Raider was ground-breaking at the time, and copied by many games. But, it just got bogged down by adding new features.

I've always been interested in the story, but I knew the games sucked (after the first one). I'm very interested in a reboot.

You know I liked Tomb Raider Legend for PS2 quite a lot actually.

Almost everything is being rebooted, re-imagined, retconned, etc.

Why not video game franchises?

Right now . . . my gut instincts tell me it'll be crap . . . but I'm going to take a wait and see approach . . . kind of like us folks within the GI JOE section.

:wink1:

https://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-7053-GI-Mag-Scans-Reveal-More-Tomb-Raider-Details.html

Crystal Dynamics' bold decision to reboot Tomb Raider with a young and inexperienced Lara Croft is much more then skin deep it seems, as not only has the iconic heroine been given a significant makeover, but the entire game has been changed, thrusting Lara into an extraordinary situation where she's fighting for her very survival.

With Game Informer's latest issue delivering the massive reveal of the Tomb Raider reboot, some industrious scamp at a blog called PlayStation Informer has scanned the contents of the magazine's cover story, which exposes a whole list of meaty details well worth poring over:

* Lara is 21, fresh from academy and eager to prove herself to the world
* Tomb Raider is both a reboot of the franchise and a reboot of the entire brand,so there'll be no live-action model hired to promote the game this time
* Crystal Dynamics is implementing performance capture to make Lara "as believable and relatable as possible"
* There are disturbing death sequences. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest with a makeshift blade and then closing her eyes after she’s dead while ominously whispering in her ear. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another drops and crushes her skull
* Lara starts with no tools or weapons and CD isn't going into specifics on weapons yet, although concept art shows a climbing axe, bow, shotgun and pistol
* The archaic lock-on targeting system has been removed in favour of a free aim system to "make Tomb Raider competitive amongst our peers in the genre, while maintaining a unique flavour" says Crystal Dynamics studio head Darrell Gallagher
* “I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors,” says Gallagher. “There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guided.”
* “It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor,” says director Noah Hughes.
* Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities as the game unfolds. Lara will initially be less graceful than before, but her athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island will open up to Lara
* There are base camps where you'll be able to combine salvage items to create something new while gaining access to a skill system that will upgrade Lara’s abilities. You’ll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimise backtracking
* You’ll need to gather food, water and other valuable resources in order to survive
* There are humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the wreck of the ship named 'Endurance' that brings Lara to the coast of the island
* There'll be mysteries to solve on the island, such as discovering the motivations of the natives, the gravitional pull of the island and the origins of the graveyard of sea vessels littering the shoreline

It all sounds incredibly intriguing and no doubt there'll be more announcements regarding the game as it marches towards an as yet unannounced release date.

tombraider2z.jpg

Reminds me of

sheva_v2.jpg

blade_trinity_02.jpg

Not sure yet how I feel about the new look. I've loved Lara for MANY years and I just, I just don't know.

I don't mind Tomb Raider being rebooted because, although I've enjoyed each incarnation, it hasn't found a real identity among today's games. It always felt like a frankenstien of other games.

So I'd love this game to firmly plant a flag with a great engine and something, if not new, at least fresh enough to feel like it's own thing.

If not Ill still get it and most likely enjoy it. But I'd love Lara to earn her superstar status again instead of surviving on nostalgia.

Sounds like they've taken bits and pieces of the best games and are creating a hodge-podge of stuff. I mean, it sounds good, it sounds like they have the right idea. I'm glad they're trying to move the series forward. . . err, in a new direction.

I'm not wild about starting off with no equipment, but I guess it makes sense since her ship crashed. I'd have at least thought she's have a pistol strapped to her leg or something. I guess she's not carrying a backpack this time, haha.

Back