New Score and Scenes for 2007 release

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Josette said:
... and as a person who would love to write her own stories some day, I have absolutely no respect for that. If I'm continuing a story in the universe I've already created/written in, whether it's a prequel or a sequel, I'm going to base if off my original, successful work....I'm not going to go back and change my original, successful work. That makes no sense.

Let me throw another angle on this: I am a writer. I've written a pile of fiction over the years, and I can say without a doubt, that any writer that is truly passionate about their story will want to go back and change things. Storytelling is an evolutionary artform that is never truly finished. It only gets locked down in a point of time.

I'm the sort of writer that will sit on something for years before putting it to paper for just that reason... You know, to get the bugs out, but that doesn't mean once I've written it down the one time I won't go back and rework something or add something. It's the writer's prerogative to do so.

If and when you write stories yourself you'll likely change your opinion on this topic.

Let me throw another angle on this: I am a writer. I've written a pile of fiction over the years, and I can say without a doubt, that any writer that is truly passionate about their story will want to go back and change things. Storytelling is an evolutionary artform that is never truly finished. It only gets locked down in a point of time.

I'm the sort of writer that will sit on something for years before putting it to paper for just that reason... You know, to get the bugs out, but that doesn't mean once I've written it down the one time I won't go back and rework something or add something. It's the writer's prerogative to do so.

If and when you write stories yourself you'll likely change your opinion on this topic.

We're all writers here. :cool:

And we've all used the edit tool, and I personally am okay with George retooling his own creation, but too much is too much; he should get it right the second or even third time. I think this will be the fourth version of the original trilogy (possibly 5th version of ANH) and the CG Jabba still looks horrible.

Let's take a look at A New Hope's list of changes.

1. 1977 original release
2. 1978 re-release with added Episode IV
3. 1997 Special Edition added Jabba and Mos Eisley scenes
4. 2004 Special Edition DVD release with updated Jabba
5. 2007 30th anniversary release with music changes and other stuff we don't know about.

Now, I'm all for creative changes but I think we can all agree that it's getting excessive. I really hope this is his final update.

I'm sorry but I do not see the relevance of adding the Imperial March to Vader's entrance on the Blockade Runner anymore than I see the relevance of adding all of the cartoon fluff in Mos Eisley and the Cantina. However, if he's going to meddle than I suggest he updates the Obi-Wan/Vader duel to make it more kinetic with the Prequels. I burst into laughter now watching Guiness and Prowse stick fighting.

I'm writing stories now. Once I finish them, if they are successful, I will not go back and edit them so that a new piece of work will make more sense. I will write that new piece of work to fit in with my original piece, not the other way around. If I have a moment where I think to myself "wait a minute, now this moment in my original piece won't make sense" or "I'm not sure this will fit in with my original piece", that tells me I need to go back and familiarize myself with my original work.

Sometimes I think Lucas didn't even watch the originals before getting started on the prequels.

My opinion on Lucas is beyond the point of no return, I'm afraid. Perhaps if he had offered the unaltered trilogy without the 2004 editions, and showed respect for the work and the fans that garnered his success back in the late 70s, early 80s, then my opinion would change.

Last edited:
With the original movies out on DVD now I don't think anyone should be complaing anymore. You have what you have always wanted. I liked many ( not all ) of the changed the SE's brought and I look forward to whatever else he does. If I don't like the new changes then I can stick with the SE DVD's. Those of you that like the originals have those. He is making eveyone happy so there really isn't any reason to complain.

decadentdave said:
I'm sorry but I do not see the relevance of adding the Imperial March to Vader's entrance on the Blockade Runner anymore than I see the relevance of adding all of the cartoon fluff in Mos Eisley and the Cantina. However, if he's going to meddle than I suggest he updates the Obi-Wan/Vader duel to make it more kinetic with the Prequels. I burst into laughter now watching Guiness and Prowse stick fighting.

Agreed. In fact, I think it's MORE emotional not getting it until ESB, in ANH Vader loses and is in a rut, in ESB he's back with focus and strength and it's one of the best scenes, when they first hit it and all the Star Destroyers are docking, awesome! I'm glad I have the untouched versions now.

decadentdave said:

Agreed. In fact, I think it's MORE emotional not getting it until ESB, in ANH Vader loses and is in a rut, in ESB he's back with focus and strength and it's one of the best scenes, when they first hit it and all the Star Destroyers are docking, awesome! I'm glad I have the untouched versions now.

Josette said:
I'm writing stories now. Once I finish them, if they are successful, I will not go back and edit them so that a new piece of work will make more sense. I will write that new piece of work to fit in with my original piece, not the other way around. If I have a moment where I think to myself "wait a minute, now this moment in my original piece won't make sense" or "I'm not sure this will fit in with my original piece", that tells me I need to go back and familiarize myself with my original work.
Going along with that same thought there's a difference between changing stuff from one manuscript to make it flow better with the next when its not been published as opposed to making changes afterwards. But I don't know if Lucas is really making changes as far as the story line goes. It's mostly making things look better with the newer more advanced technology. To me adding Jabba back in to ANH was like adding a deleted scene back in. And aren't we all glad Jabba became a slug by ROTJ instead of some fat furry thing in ANH? So really that kinda makes it better that Lucas didn't insist on the scene and did it later. In my opinion at any rate.

I have no problem with writers going back and altering their work. Hell, Tolkien himself did it for The Hobbit, so that the finiding of THe Ring fell more in line with the events of LOTR. No one even remembers the original chapter.

I like most of the updates, and hope he does more for the 2007 releases.

I think it's less about him changing them to fit the prequels and more about him making them the way he originaly envisioned, now that the technology is up to par with his imagination.

decadentdave said:
However, if he's going to meddle than I suggest he updates the Obi-Wan/Vader duel to make it more kinetic with the Prequels. I burst into laughter now watching Guiness and Prowse stick fighting.
It breaks my heart every time someone says this. The thought of those two twirling around in ANH is abhorrent to me. Maybe it's just because I'm a bigger fan of the more dramatic and personal samurai style duels of the OT, but I think all of that superfluous spinning and hopping around needs to stay in the PT.

decadentdave said:
It breaks my heart everytime I watch the Ben vs. Vader duel... Such an emotional let down... Lets face it. It was great when IV, V, and VI were all we knew, but know it just falls kinda flat.

I think it is possible to revise in a tasteful way (ie no monkey jumps, 10 foot high back flip-sommersaults) but still keep it in line with what we KNOW old Jedi were capable of (um... Dooku, anyone?).

KitFisto said:
With the original movies out on DVD now I don't think anyone should be complaing anymore. You have what you have always wanted. I liked many ( not all ) of the changed the SE's brought and I look forward to whatever else he does. If I don't like the new changes then I can stick with the SE DVD's. Those of you that like the originals have those. He is making eveyone happy so there really isn't any reason to complain.

No, he released what we already had since 1993. Laserdisc transfers.

JustinLuck said:
No, he released what we already had since 1993. Laserdisc transfers.
How many of you here owned these on LD, let alone a player?

Noone but the guy in back? Well there ya go.:rolleyes:

Anyone who was a fan of the originals has a bootleg DVD copy by now. They have been widely available for years.

JustinLuck said:
Anyone who was a fan of the originals has a bootleg DVD copy by now. They have been widely available for years.
Woot for them. Then why all the complainen? You have what you want. Let the guy (GL) do what he wants.

JustinLuck said:
That is not what's been asked for all these years. You know that.
:monkey3 (well... I have been reading alot of posts on RS by Claudehaus lately... May have gone to my brain) ;)

ps Claude if you are reading this, I love ya baby!
tellysavalas.jpg

Back