Star Wars OT (Special Edition) 20th Anniversary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the primary functions of the SE was to bring the FX up to a point where they could stand beside future SW flicks. It's fine to love the original theatrical cut as a piece of history, but it doesn't sit well alongside modern FX.

I appreciate the SEs, probably more than the next guy, but they don't compare very well to "future" SW movies, aside from the compositing and matte-line fixes. The original SE CGI Jabba doesn't come close to the level of CGI in the prequels. In that respect, at least the original OT releases have a charm to them.

06.jpg

George was always forward-thinking, but also not above rushing to meet deadlines. I think the primary achievement of the SEs was allowing a younger generation to see the movies in theaters. The "fixes" were mostly disposable gags.

One of the primary functions of the SE was to bring the FX up to a point where they could stand beside future SW flicks. It's fine to love the original theatrical cut as a piece of history, but it doesn't sit well alongside modern FX.
Given the speed of technological development, Lucas should have known better than to even attempt such a thing. The new additions, like the Prequels, look even more dated and cheesy than the originals somehow.

Given the speed of technological development, Lucas should have known better than to even attempt such a thing. The new additions, like the Prequels, look even more dated and cheesy than the originals somehow.

Perhaps, but it was actually Lucas making the progress at the time. The SE and PT may look dated now, but back then they were pushing the industry forward.

Last night at a presentation called "Animation Restoration at Walt Disney Studios" Disney’s director of Library Restoration and Preservation, Theo Gluck, confirmed that the original cut negative for Star Wars exists in the 2011 SE configuration only. At the same event 20th Century Fox’s Senior Vice President of Library and Technical Services, Shawn Belston, confirmed that all of the "trims" removed from the original negative just prior to 1997 still exist however.

This pretty much guarantees that the 4K restoration that Gareth Edwards viewed in 2016 was again just the SE.

So George was telling the truth when he said that he really did **** up the negatives for all three original films. They *could* painstakingly reconstruct the negative cuts (though those discarded 40 year old elements would undoubtedly require some major restoration) but who knows at this point. If Disney/Fox come to an agreement in releasing the original theatrical cut of SW either in theaters or on blu-ray this year it definitely won't be off the original negative. In the meantime, get the Harmy set while you can.

https://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/022417-0100

Re-boot the series.......I kid or do I. Hell I don't recall the original films post 90's that well. If I knew how,to get a Hardy set, I might think about it.

Last night at a presentation called "Animation Restoration at Walt Disney Studios" Disney’s director of Library Restoration and Preservation, Theo Gluck, confirmed that the original cut negative for Star Wars exists in the 2011 SE configuration only. At the same event 20th Century Fox’s Senior Vice President of Library and Technical Services, Shawn Belston, confirmed that all of the "trims" removed from the original negative just prior to 1997 still exist however.

This pretty much guarantees that the 4K restoration that Gareth Edwards viewed in 2016 was again just the SE.

So George was telling the truth when he said that he really did **** up the negatives for all three original films. They *could* painstakingly reconstruct the negative cuts (though those discarded 40 year old elements would undoubtedly require some major restoration) but who knows at this point. If Disney/Fox come to an agreement in releasing the original theatrical cut of SW either in theaters or on blu-ray this year it definitely won't be off the original negative. In the meantime, get the Harmy set while you can.

Thanks for the link.

So the originals got trashed?

Re-boot the series.......I kid or do I. Hell I don't recall the original films post 90's that well. If I knew how,to get a Hardy set, I might think about it.

Dude, if you want the Harmy set, PM jimjimmyjones85 on the boards - he can hook you up.

+1 for harmy/de-specialized editions....

I remember back in 97 when the first special edition came out, I saw it in the theatre as I did the originals in their time. While it was a cool version with some aspects, I had always hoped that as AFI requested the originals would be preserved. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case since its apparent that he screwed up the original negatives on his 'special editioning'.

I do have ANH on regular DVD, non-special edition release, but failed to get ESB and Jedi and I know they're still not totally the 'original theatrical release'. I have the original dvd 'special' edition 4 dvd set which was still different from the VHS set of the 1997 special editions, and still different from the blu ray 1-VI set! Geoge quit it already!!!! He's rivaling Aliens for number of 'special' special editions of the same movie!

My only problem with the harmys is that they don't tend to work all that well ok my dvd players. They freeze up and stop working altogether. Nature of these dvrs i guess. But I'm really anxious for an official, high quality release.

My only problem with the harmys is that they don't tend to work all that well ok my dvd players. They freeze up and stop working altogether. Nature of these dvrs i guess. But I'm really anxious for an official, high quality release.

I've not actually tried to burn dvd's of them, I just play the files on my pc since it's hooked up to my TV anyway. I don't have to have the true surround sound, rather have better video quality myself but that's just me.

For heaven's sake buy a blu-ray player. My 2+ year old 2D/3D Samsung player has never frozen up once playing the Harmy blu-rays. But if you're still running a VHS/DVD combo player from 1997 that you bought at a garage sale last Christmas then yeah you might not have as good of luck. :monkey1

Back