1/6 DID NS80175 U.S. Civil War Union Army Lieutenant – John Dunbar (Kevin Costner, Dances with Wolves) + E60076 1/6 Horse (Cisco)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool! one of my favorite movies they should have gave him the American flag to do the complete look of when he goes out to meet the Indians.

Qu Rachel

Admin
· 2 h ·

1/6 U.S. Civil War Union Army Lieutenant - John Dunbar's good company is just around the corner!
🥳
🥳

441328084_468214618991952_8713237062043721025_n.jpg

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/21427/lot/214/a-kevin-costner-saddle-from-dances-with-wolves/

A Kevin Costner saddle from Dances With Wolves

WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF A CENTURY OF MOVIE MAGIC AT AUCTION AS CURATED BY TCM
25 November 2013, 13:00 EST
New York and Los Angeles
Sold for US$4,375 inc. premium

A Kevin Costner saddle from Dances With Wolves

Orion/Majestic, 1990. 1872 McLellan style saddle dark brown leather saddle with brass hardware, one piece stamped "11 1/2 inch seat." Accompanied by a letter of provenance from the consignor describing how he purchased the saddle in August, 1990 from its maker, Bob Erickson. The letter states that there were two principal saddles used by Costner during the filming and this one was used during Costner's famous Civil War suicide ride (with remnants of stage blood still visible on the right stirrup) and the buffalo hunt. Together with a copy of the final script for Dances With Wolves, signed by Costner, writer Michael Blake, producer Jim Wilson, actor Jimmy Herman, and makeup artist David Atherton.

image.jpg
image (1).jpg

https://www.si.edu/object/mcclellan...=In 1859, the U.S. War,the rider and his gear.

Original 1859 McClellan saddle:

McClellan 1859 saddle 1.jpg
McClellan 1859 saddle 2.jpg

designer
McClellan, George B.

Description
Physical Description

Leather seat, straps, and skirt with wooden stirrups.

General History

Captain George B. McClellan toured Europe with a military commission looking at new military tactics. Reportedly influenced by the saddles of Hussars he observed in Europe, McClellan returned and developed a new modified cavalry saddle. In 1859, the U.S. War Department adopted the McClellan saddle. They remained the standard issue throughout the history of the horse cavalry. The saddle was simple and less expensive than most. It was light enough not to weigh down the horse, yet it was sturdy and gave good support to the rider and his gear. In its original form the seat was covered with rawhide but was changed to leather in later incarnations. It featured a thick leather skirt and a leather covering for wooden stirrups. In addition, there was a girth strap made of woolen yarn. The McClellan saddle was placed on top of a saddlecloth, shabrack, or saddle blanket.

This is a dream set for me with the horse and American flag. One of my favorite scenes from when I was a kid was when he was cleaning up his uniform and riding out to meet the Indians with the Flag.

I stumbled on that channel through looking for information on the breast collar, and it looks a very useful resource for clothing, equipment and horse tack.

This is a channel dedicated to exploring the lifestyle, tactics, uniform, and gear used by Federal Civil War Cavalrymen during the 19th century. Subscribe for videos on cavalry living, cooking, clothing, horse care, and much more. Or you can visit our website at www.11thohiocavalry.com or on facebook at 11th Ohio Cavalry!

https://www.youtube.com/@11thovc/videos

Somebody somewhere noted from DID's photo of the mounted Dunbar that the scabbard shouldn't be hitting the horse's leg.

DID faked the scabbard hanging down for this shot by trapping the scabbard with his hand...

DID Dunbar 17.jpg

...as this is how it hangs naturally:

DID Dunbar 18.jpg

This video shows how it can be done:

The saber is twisted 180 degrees in a clockwise direction, which wraps the straps around the saber and ends with the hilt pointing to the rear. The top scabbard ring then attaches to the hook on the hanger:

vlcsnap-2024-05-22-12h34m04s397.png
vlcsnap-2024-05-22-12h34m11s821.png
vlcsnap-2024-05-22-12h34m28s016.png

vlcsnap-2024-05-22-12h50m06s269.png

DID's hanger has the hook, though the strap will probably have to be pulled through the buckle to create enough length to make it work:

DID Dunbar 40.jpg
DID Dunbar 44.jpg

vlcsnap-2024-05-22-13h45m53s097.png

In reality it isn't always hooked when mounted:

Which means the only solution for the figure would be to lengthen the rear hanger as much as possible to allow gravity to take effect.

Last edited:
d1.jpg
d2.jpg
d3.jpg
d4.jpg
d5.jpg
d6.jpg
d7.jpg
d8.jpg
d9.jpg
d10.jpg
d11.jpg
d12.jpg
d13.jpg
d14.jpg
d15.jpg
d16.jpg
d17.jpg
d18.jpg
d19.jpg
d20.jpg
d21.jpg
d22.jpg
d23.jpg
d24.jpg
d25.jpg
d26.jpg
d27.jpg
d28.jpg
d29.jpg
d30.jpg
d31.jpg
d32.jpg
d33.jpg

Brief Introduction​

The U.S. Civil War was the first war of “industrialized animal power” and the most significant event of the 19th century that called for the mass mobilization of animals and their ability to work. Industrialization provided opportunities and means for the widespread use of horsepower. The complementary use of horses in pre-war technology implied a huge demand for horses in the first industrialized war. Just as railways promoted the use of horses before the war, they also stimulated the demand for horses during the war.

We are glad to bring you the 1/6 Brown War Horse (Standing) for U.S. Civil War Union Army Lieutenant – John Dunbar, crafted delicately to showcase the horse’s virtues completely.

The horse was well-proportioned, agile, with steadfast and wise gleams in its drooping eyes. Its soft mane fluttered in the wind. In battle, it was valiant and skilled, yet outside the battlefield, it was gentle and noble. Possessing outstanding endurance, agility, and speed, it could swiftly move on the battlefield, react promptly, and display its prowess without reservation.

The horse is equipped with the exquisite saddles and genuine leather reins, along with a saddle blanket and the genuine leather saddle bag for storing supplies. The saddle blanket is an essential equipment in equestrian scenes, primarily serving to enhance the comfort between the rider and the horse, protecting the horse’s back, and improving the safety of riding. Additionally, it was equipped with a blanket for warmth, a bag for storing sundries, a blanket roll, an U.S. Civil War flag, a canteen, and a genuine leather M1860 Henry rifles holster, all of which could be hung on the war horse. Fully equipped, John Dunbar was ready to face every battle at any time!

The 1/6 Civil War Brown War Horse (Standing), through meticulous craftsmanship and beautifully paint job, presents a perfect blend of history and reality, allowing us to experience the bravery and glory of the battlefield up close. It calls out to everyone who loves history and heroic legends, exuding a sense of wild freedom, galloping fearlessly like a released arrow into the battlefield. Add it in your collection now!

PS: The 1/6 action figure, sword with scabbard, and M1860 Henry rifle that are shown in the image are NOT included in E60076.

Full Part List​

Base:
1 Horse (resin)

Accessories
2 Saddle (plastic)
3 Reins(genuine leather)
4 Blanket roll
5 Sundries bag
6 Blanket
7 U.S. Civil War canteen(plastic)
8 Saddle bag (genuine leather)
9 Rifle hostler(genuine leather)
10 Saddle blanket
11 U.S. Civil War flag with pole

The official DID naming for Cisco is "E60076 1/6 Civil War Brown War Horse (Standing)".

"(Standing)" implies there's going to be different horse moulds in the future, and "Brown", as would be expected, that there will be colour variations to increase the profit from this mould.

I currently only have one horse - Pop Toys' Jeanne d'Arc charger - and have resisted getting others because my display wasn't really set up for more mounted figures. However, a US Cavalry horse is something a bit special, and certainly not the usual 'western' horse and European saddle combination that 1/6 companies generally do.

Knowing I would have to get Cisco, I rearranged my figures the other day to use spaces with height that were otherwise wasted.

Oh, and I just realised that with the horse you get the missing link...

512967-d30.jpg

A black leather saber hanger for the non-parade belt.

It's non-adjustable, unlike the parade version, but from the photo showing it attached to the saddle it does hang more vertically. It's missing the hook to secure the scabbard ring, but that would be easy to make because it's only a length of bent wire, though it would have to be attached to the hole the strap goes through as there's no central ring.

https://www.historynet.com/conversation-piece-jeb-inventor/

Major General J.E.B. Stuart, the Confederacy’s famed beau sabreur, justifiably is best known as the dashing commander of the Army of Northern Virginia’s cavalry units. But in October 1859, while serving as a U.S. Army lieutenant and stationed at Fort Riley in the Kansas Territory, Stuart hit “pay dirt” as an inventor. The 26-year-old Virginian filed for and eventually received U.S. Patent #25,684: “Improved Method of Attaching Sabers to Belts.” Stuart claimed that his new brass-and-leather saber hanger made it much easier for a cavalryman to quickly remove his saber, scabbard, and suspension straps from the standard army belt. The U.S. Army agreed, paid Stuart a “right to use” license fee of $5,000 ($143,000 today), and through 1864 produced thousands of the tools Stuart had invented.

Manns-Patent-Belt-Rig.jpg

The movie when released was a grand adventure of the time. DiD has done a wonderful rendition of the figure and horse. They’re top tier in the world of 1/6th. If you buy a DiD figure you know you’re getting top quality in every way. Hats off to them for their choice of figure here and congrats to all those who are ordering this for themselves. It’s an excellent figure to add to anyone’s collection!

The movie when released was a grand adventure of the time. DiD has done a wonderful rendition of the figure and horse. They’re top tier in the world of 1/6th. If you buy a DiD figure you know you’re getting top quality in every way. Hats off to them for their choice of figure here and congrats to all those who are ordering this for themselves. It’s an excellent figure to add to anyone’s collection!
I never had a DID figure before, this will be my first. The pictures of the figure show the great attention to detail and craftsmanship already, but reading this really makes even more excited for this. Good quality isn't always top priority to some of the 1/6th brands, so knowing DiD delivers is very good to know. I hate it when I'm reposing a figure and pleather bits and pieces start falling apart and disintegrating.

I never had a DID figure before, this will be my first. The pictures of the figure show the great attention to detail and craftsmanship already, but reading this really makes even more excited for this. Good quality isn't always top priority to some of the 1/6th brands, so knowing DiD delivers is very good to know. I hate it when I'm reposing a figure and pleather bits and pieces start falling apart and disintegrating.

With DID you get what you see, or better as they sometimes make improvements or correct errors before production.

They've already said they're going to improve Dunbar's hat.

As Asta said DiD figures always come out exactly like the prototype if not better, they're the only company to accomplish this in my experience.

Back