New Score and Scenes for 2007 release

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in the camp for freedom of expression. They are his movies to tinker with, especially now that we have the original theatrical releases. It is true that his work is ours now that it's out there, but he does have his creative copyright to do whatever he can afford. Many artist do this sort of tinkering with their work, at least those who can. I think it shows some great humility to actually go back and openly admit the mistakes, cash shortfalls, etc. of the first trilogy. Even the change they are going to make with the EP1 Yoda. They are basically going back and saying, "hey, we got this part wrong, want to see how we would have liked to do it back then?" He's just retelling/tinkering with his story the same as any writer/creator/artist does....Stan Lee & Marvel, DC, Spawn, the list goes on and on...
Viva la evolucion!

I like all the tinkering. I think its fun to see the changes so long as they are good. Putting the Imperial March into ANH works for me. Redoing the cantina scene to fill it with CGI aliens I wouldn't like so much. But then you have things like the musical part in ROTJ with Sy Snootles singing Jedi Rocks (or whatever) it doesn't look good in the movie, seems out of place. But King George wanted to do that from the start and couldn't until now. So who is right there?

I don't think that changing the music in Jabba's palace was such a bad thing, it's just that the quality of the CGI performers was not that good, plus they crammed their face up into the camera. That "breaking of the fourth wall" is completely out of place in a Star Wars movie.

pixletwin said:
Um.... Tolkien revised The Hobbit so it would mesh better with LOTR. Do you all take issue with that? Da Vinci said that art is never finished, only abandoned. I don't think George feels like abandoning his story yet and far be it from me to tell him when he can or can't.

:rolleyes:

:shrugs: It's just my opinion, but I think it's pretty dumb. Didn't know that about Tolkien (frankly, I struggled to get through the LOTR books), but it doesn't really change the way I feel about it. Truthfully, I just have very little respect for Lucas anymore because he doesn't seem to have any respect for his original work, and without it he wouldn't have his 'Empire of Dreams' or the PT. His attitude towards the original versions of the trilogy, the versions that put him on the map, disgusts me.

tomandshell said:
I don't think that changing the music in Jabba's palace was such a bad thing, it's just that the quality of the CGI performers was not that good, plus they crammed their face up into the camera. That "breaking of the fourth wall" is completely out of place in a Star Wars movie.

Agree with you on the fourth wall. They also broke it in ANH when Boba Fett turned and looked RIGHT AT US. That bugs.

STAR WARS: THE OFFICE STYLE

Oh and the new Jabba song in one word: SUCKS. Or maybe I don't like it because they called it "jedi rocks". Or maybe because John Williams didn't write it.

Either way.. I never liked those changes at all.

Maybe the fourth wall thing is what bugs me about the scene. I don't mind the song, and I don't mind the CGI, I don't like how it's like a musical number in the middle. I would prefer it if it were more relegated to the background, like the cantina band in ANH. Isn't that the way it was in the theatrical version? I can't remember because I've only seen the pre special edition movies a couple times. I got into SW when they came out in theaters.

By the way anyone ever notice Lapti Nek sounds an awful lot like Super Freak?

Star Wars is an old friend I've spent a loooong time with. If my friend wants to change and grow, that's fine. I've enjoyed all the years we've spent where he never changed, but I was starting to fall asleep every now and then when he'd tell the same old story every time we'd meet. I've changed and grown and become accustomed to his old self. Maybe the changes will shake up our friendship a bit and I'll be able to appreciate anew all those things that brought us together in the first place.

Am I taking this analogy too far?

You could use the old lover analogy. The sex used to be phenomenal, now it's just more of the same. It's nice to experiment with different positions and styles to spice up the sex now and then and keep things passionate.

decadentdave said:
You could use the old lover analogy. The sex used to be phenomenal, now it's just more of the same. It's nice to experiment with different positions and styles to spice up the sex now and then and keep things passionate.

I like that better. Except now I feel dirty.

Coheteboy said:
Agree with you on the fourth wall. They also broke it in ANH when Boba Fett turned and looked RIGHT AT US. That bugs.

STAR WARS: THE OFFICE STYLE

Oh and the new Jabba song in one word: SUCKS. Or maybe I don't like it because they called it "jedi rocks". Or maybe because John Williams didn't write it.

Either way.. I never liked those changes at all.

Definately agree, those where horrilbe. And you can't forget the stupid move of making Greedo shoot [first]. It's a big waste of time with the changes they made to that scene, but they can't fix the lightsaber effects. Jabba in ANH doesn't really bother me, but it seems to slow down the movie a little in that spot. Definately didn't need Boba there. He even looks at the camera in the added scene in ROTJ! Boba is one of my favorites, but that was just dumb. :emperor I like how the PT confuses people of the OT. Now the OT has to suffer for it.

Customikey said:
Well, John Williams didn't write Lapti Nek either. His son wrote it.

Haha that probably explains why it sounds like another song. But at least it's someone who's related to the maestro himself. hehe

Well...first off, Cinescape can be a pretty dodgy source for info...they tend to run a little on the gossipy side when it comes to reporting, so just have the salt shaker handy...

As for music changes...I'm a little ambivilent too...Vader's entrance in ANH is one of the classic pieces of cinema, due in a large part to the music cue. There was already one change cue in the SE of ANH I have issue with...the missing trumpet fanfare as the X-wings turn to soar into the Death Star trench (old-timers'll know which one I mean)...it's now buried under the sound mix so far it's almost gone....but who can say if that was a Williams choice or a sound editor's choice...

I like the Imperial march...it's a classic theme. If Williams is re-composing ANH to get it in there somehow, I just hope it works as well as whatever cue it replaces already does.

If he really wanted to do some score fixing, I'd love him to go back to the final act of AOTC and jettison the patchwork of cues cobbled together from Episode One and replace it with some original cues. That score is the one that really suffered from Lucas' habit of working and editing to the last minute, well beyond his maestro's ability to complete a score before that set release date was upon them...I'm still amazing that ROTS has as great a score as it does...there are a few repeated cues from the earlier films, but at least Williams got his chance to really shine.

Don't get me wrong...I've enjoyed Lucas going back again and again and slipping changes into the films(but mostly from a technological POV). Do all the changes work...well, no...not for me. But it's his right to make 'em...and we always have the various versions from over the years to choose from when we want to visit that galaxy far, far away...

someone took the scene when vader is walking towards the captured falcon and added a subtle version of the imperial march.

it looked and sounded great. i'm sorry i don't know how to get the clip again. it was on Gfaqs, and that was like...last year.

but rest assured, i'm confident GL is gonna add the march theme in the right places in ANH. one part i think that can use the theme is the first time you see vader in ANH. once the doors get blasted open, he walks in...and then dun dun dun..dun DUN dun...dun DUN dun....

ahem, you know what it sounds like.

NO! That's exactly where I DON'T want him to change it! That entrance cue in the Blockade Runner is PERFECT. I'm tired of Lucas meddling with a classic. This is why we need the original versions preserved and the option to buy them in pristine quality, not some non-anamorphic bonus rubbish on the Special Edition DVDs. I want my Star Wars the way I remember it from my childhood. Lucas is destroying a classic. He can have HIS versions and let us have OURS!!!

sorry you feel that way. but the way i see it, in context of the entire saga...that part NEEDS the vader theme.

hey be glad i didn't say "put the theme when the blockade is being chased"

Back