NEW PREDATOR 1 MAQUETTE by Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: NEW PREDATOR 1 MAQUETTE by Sideshow?

I had all but Scar and IMO Wolf is the best followed by Elder and P1 in that order. Sadly, Scar's pose is an abomination in my eyes and I couldn't bring myself to order it. The alien line is better than the Pred line IMO.

I saw Wolf at a Rose City Comic-Con vendor booth last year. Definitely bigger than I thought it would be. Still not the greatest scale and the pose left much to be desired, but the sculpt was leagues ahead of the other statues in that line.

Only 400 Ex and still available when he started shipping can't be called a success.
That's a pretty good indicator as to how quickly it sold.

The regular was not sold on a discount price and that has gone straight to waitlist, so yes the P2 has been a success for sideshow, and even at a 200 dollar discount, the statue is still a thousand bucks that is really good sales for sideshow, considering everyone bitched that this piece is a glorified PF, seems the customers still wanted this piece. No one factors in this statue has not long gone up for shipping, and with the flaws this piece has been received still this statue has been in demand. If the P2 was still available 2 years after its official shipping release, yes it would be considered a fail, but the P2 has been a success for sideshow, and how many got this discount? not a huge amount

Are you familiar with their WL system?

Retailers don't have to discount successfully selling items (why do you keep banging on about the discount?).

Anyway, this new P1...

The regular was not sold on a discount price and that has gone straight to waitlist, so yes the P2 has been a success for sideshow, and even at a 200 dollar discount, the statue is still a thousand bucks that is really good sales for sideshow, considering everyone bitched that this piece is a glorified PF, seems the customers still wanted this piece. No one factors in this statue has not long gone up for shipping, and with the flaws this piece has been received still this statue has been in demand. If the P2 was still available 2 years after its official shipping release, yes it would be considered a fail, but the P2 has been a success for sideshow, and how many got this discount? not a huge amount

You are assuming the regular actually sold out when there is no chance of that.

It is a 'Glorified' PF.

That's basically it. I don't understand why they can justify charging twice the price of an expensive PF just because of the "maquette" name. It's still crap quality polystone, still mixed media, still 1/4 scale.

That's basically it. I don't understand why they can justify charging twice the price of an expensive PF just because of the "maquette" name. It's still crap quality polystone, still mixed media, still 1/4 scale.

This is untrue. It's an entirely different craftmanship than the standard comics PF honestly, I passed on the P2 Maquette due to its many flaws but I call a spade a spade.
First, Preds are bigger, much bigger than the standard human figure. This alone makes them more expensive.
From a sculpt standpoint, they require all sort of extra care: proportions need to be very specific, especially between head and body, you can't just sculpt the "generic muscular anatomy" used for Marvel/DC characters. It needs to be as accurate as possible to the movie. The heads need to have dreadlocks, sculpting them alone and separately (with all the ornaments) probably takes more time than sculpting an entire generic human head sculpt. The biomask needs to have a specific shape. The jaws need to have a specific shape and specific teeth depending on the Predator you're making. The equipment requires a lot of care (and accuracy), especially on a character like the City Hunter.
All these parts need to be sculpted, molded and cast individually, more pieces to assemble means more time and more work to do during production, ergo more money goes to the factory.
Then, the paint app. Preds have some of the most intricate paint patters with their markings, different colors and points on the skin, it's really not easy to nail the organic-tribal-alien look. Again, lots of work and care and lots of time which means more money to produce.
On top of that, mixed media. Applying netting is tricky, much more than taking a generic body sculpt and slap a full costume on it. Netting needs to be glued in specific small intersections and in a specific way, you don't have to have glue spots showing from underneath the net and apply it in a way that perfectly fits, otherwise the flaw will show a lot, with the netting pulling too much on a side or the other. It's not like a small sagging armpit or saggy butt that can be overlooked, it's the kind of thing that ends up being in your face every time you look at the statue even from a distance.
So pretty much, if you break down a statue in its various aspects (sculpt, paint, mixed media), Predators sum up most of the toughest points of those aspects.

I can perfectly see the higher price point. With more accuracy and a better paint job the City Hunter would have totally been worth the asking price, especially considering that people doesn't seem to have a problem paying 500$ a generic PF, 600-700$ a bigger PF and 800$ for a 1:4 horse with some cloth on it (*cough* Dark Rider *cough*).

This is untrue. It's an entirely different craftmanship than the standard comics PF honestly, I passed on the P2 Maquette due to its many flaws but I call a spade a spade.
First, Preds are bigger, much bigger than the standard human figure. This alone makes them more expensive.
From a sculpt standpoint, they require all sort of extra care: proportions need to be very specific, especially between head and body, you can't just sculpt the "generic muscular anatomy" used for Marvel/DC characters. It needs to be as accurate as possible to the movie. The heads need to have dreadlocks, sculpting them alone and separately (with all the ornaments) probably takes more time than sculpting an entire generic human head sculpt. The biomask needs to have a specific shape. The jaws need to have a specific shape and specific teeth depending on the Predator you're making. The equipment requires a lot of care (and accuracy), especially on a character like the City Hunter.
All these parts need to be sculpted, molded and cast individually, more pieces to assemble means more time and more work to do during production, ergo more money goes to the factory.
Then, the paint app. Preds have some of the most intricate paint patters with their markings, different colors and points on the skin, it's really not easy to nail the organic-tribal-alien look. Again, lots of work and care and lots of time which means more money to produce.
On top of that, mixed media. Applying netting is tricky, much more than taking a generic body sculpt and slap a full costume on it. Netting needs to be glued in specific small intersections and in a specific way, you don't have to have glue spots showing from underneath the net and apply it in a way that perfectly fits, otherwise the flaw will show a lot, with the netting pulling too much on a side or the other. It's not like a small sagging armpit or saggy butt that can be overlooked, it's the kind of thing that ends up being in your face every time you look at the statue even from a distance.
So pretty much, if you break down a statue in its various aspects (sculpt, paint, mixed media), Predators sum up most of the toughest points of those aspects.

I can perfectly see the higher price point. With more accuracy and a better paint job the City Hunter would have totally been worth the asking price, especially considering that people doesn't seem to have a problem paying 500$ a generic PF, 600-700$ a bigger PF and 800$ for a 1:4 horse with some cloth on it (*cough* Dark Rider *cough*).
I'm laughing here, not at you El Mule. I agree with the point you're making. There's a lot that goes into putting together a proper Predator piece. With all the aspects you pointed out in making a Predator... you mentioned paint, bio, head, equipment, teeth, jaw, dreds, netting, proportions, etc. I'm laughing because... did Sideshow get any of those correct on this one?

And they dare call it a 'Maquette'? :lol

I'm laughing here, not at you El Mule. I agree with the point you're making. There's a lot that goes into putting together a proper Predator piece. With all the aspects you pointed out in making a Predator... you mentioned paint, bio, head, equipment, teeth, jaw, dreds, netting, proportions, etc. I'm laughing because... did Sideshow get any of those correct on this one?

And they dare call it a 'Maquette'? :lol

Agreed, which is why I passed.
It's even more laughable if you think that they had to do all that stuff anyway - I mean, ok, bio, dreads, spear, faces are off, but they STILL had to make all of it. So it's not that they've taken some incredible shortcut, they still had to make most of what they had to do... they just half a--ed it, which is what really blown many people's minds back then.
While yeah, for the paint app they definitely took shortcuts, it's very dull.

You guys do understand they are a collectible statue company right ?? Its uhmmm kind of their job to get things right. They can charge whatever they want,... but its still paramount to their business to get things right. And uhmmmmm they are doing pretty poorly at their job as of late. And to act like having to do all this work to build a piece is super demanding, stressful, hard etc etc,..... its still their job that they chose as sculptors, painters, etc etc to do. No one forced them. Its just sad to see people cover for them all the time.

Don't buy if dont' like. Simple =)

SSALEX had the following response on SF when asked about this possible P1 maquette:

"This is an item I have zero knowledge about. So is it Maquette? A PF? I really don't know. It's not something that's on schedule to be revealed in 2016 that I can see. Sorry."

:(

well, she has said something like that about other stuff, only to see it magically appear for order half a year later...

Back