New Doctor Who 1:6 from Big Chief Studios!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Doctor Who 1:6 and 1:4 announcement!

Nice, Xeno :) Glad to hear you got it sorted. Planning to just make a fez, since I have some lovely wool felt lying around anyway. And I'm sure I can manage a mop.

Wish the figure was coming out sooner, going to have way too much time to think about building scale TARDIS consoles and other nonsense...

I agree about the rooted hair on Amy. It couldn't really work any other way. If it's decent quality fiber, it's not like it'll look like a cheap Barbie knockoff or anything. But, to each their own...

Any news or likely time frame of possible news for the 1/4 scale 'PF' style statues?

297299_10150441927066002_187818566001_10765623_1477666520_n.jpg

thank you very much

Nice, Xeno :) Glad to hear you got it sorted. Planning to just make a fez, since I have some lovely wool felt lying around anyway. And I'm sure I can manage a mop.

Wish the figure was coming out sooner, going to have way too much time to think about building scale TARDIS consoles and other nonsense...

I've been thinking about making a mop but I can't think of anything to use for the tip. If you come up with something, I'll gladly steal your idea for my own collection. :clap

I've tried making a 11th Doctor console in 1:6th but I failed miserably trying to find the right instruments, and since I can't sculpt or paint due to a slight problem with my hand, I gave up. I might pick it up again, who knows..

So many good things to be done with this..

I've been thinking about making a mop but I can't think of anything to use for the tip. If you come up with something, I'll gladly steal your idea for my own collection. :clap

A neutral-colored, smaller yarn might work for that.

Not a fan AT ALL of the doll hair.
Will probably skip this one, and likely all the other female figures if this is the route that big chief goes.
oh well, saves me money i guess.

Agreed. I generlly won't buy anything with rooted hair at 1/6 scale. Or even 1/4 when it comes to that. Always looks terrible and utterly fake and synthetic, never falls naturally, and looks exactly like what it usually is, strands of coloured nylon (or similar) rather than actual hair. Just never looks in any way convincing to me, and for me it is all about the visual with these pieces, so yeah. So I imagine I'll be skipping Pond on those grounds personally.

Last edited:

C'mon Amy was always going to have rooted hair!:dunno

It all depends on the hairstyle, if they did a Martha they would probably just sculpt the hair.

:exactly:

Sculpted hair at Amy's length does not belong on a high end 1/6 figure!:lecture

the problem is, that rooted hair looks good for a day to a week, then static, and dust, and everything else makes it start to loose it's " fresh from the box" look, and it starts to frizz, and poff up. Heaven help you if you live in a high humidity area, like i do.

A week after taking her from the box, for example, my Hot toys black widow, turned into a hot toys transexual carrot top.

Agreed. I generlly won't buy anything with rooted hair at 1/6 scale. Or even 1/4 when it comes to that. Always looks terrible and utterly fake and synthetic, never falls naturally, and looks exactly like what it usually is, strands of coloured nylon (or similar) rather than actual hair. Just never looks in any way convincing to me, and for me it is all about the visual with these pieces, so yeah. So I imagine I'll be skipping Pond on those grounds personally.

glad someone agreed with me.

sculpted hair works for jack sparrow, BC could find a way to make it work for pond.

Additionally, having some characters with sculpted hair, and some with rooted makes for a weird looking display IMO.

Easy solution, offer two heads. one rooted, one sculpted.

BC, take notice, and give us two heads.

shame too. I'd like to have every doctor with companions.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I would have much preferred my Elizabeth Swann to have had rooted hair, especially when i compare her to my HT base caucasian and cuban female figures and my silk spectre, silken floss, Sarah Connor etc. Common factor..long straight hair!
However, my Black widow is a bit over frizzy and Alice, Jill and Abi Whistler all look great with moulded hair, so I guess it just depends on the figure and the complexity of the hairstyle. From a very teasing photo I think Amy will look fabulous with rooted hair and very far from a Barbie. We've certainly come a long way from my Sideshow Bond Wai Lin and the Van Helsing Kate Beckinsale.:rotfl

but it becomes that much harder to argue you do not play with dolls if it has rooted hair :D

Each style/design choice has it's fans and its detractors, that's just how it is.

Now I wouldn't presume to tell any manufacturer, or any fan who likes or prefers rooted hair, that they are wrong or that it shouldn't be done that way, I just don't like it personally, so if that is the choice they make there's far, far less chance of me buying. On the flip side, there might be more chance of someone else buying, so... :dunno

I also agree with the point that having some figures with sculpted hair, and some with rooted hair visually makes for a bit of an odd or 'unbalanced' looking display to me. What can I say, I guess I just prefer a standardised look and style.

Maybe they'll win me over, stranger things have happened I guess, but I have never seen rooted hair that I personally liked at this scale yet, so the odds of that happening aren't too good. Ah well, such is life. :)

I still have Ten to look forward to, anyway. :)

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I would have much preferred my Elizabeth Swann to have had rooted hair, especially when i compare her to my HT base caucasian and cuban female figures and my silk spectre, silken floss, Sarah Connor etc. Common factor..long straight hair!
However, my Black widow is a bit over frizzy

HT certainly dropped the ball there - either the hair they used was low quality and/or was wrecked by whatever process was used to get the curls in there.

I have piles of girly dollies in my collection here; Barbie, Integrity/Fashion Royalty, Cy Girls, Obitsu, Hot Toys etc. - many frequently re-posed others have ventured outside for photostories... no frizzing or entangling. Occasionally a little anti-static spray is called for but otherwise no problems.

So I'm firmly in the rooted camp; to me long sculpted hair looks wrong and if it's not physically limiting articulation it does asthetically; can you imagine a molded hair Amy posed (if she could be) looking down? How realistic is her hair then sticking out at an angle? Plus the potential horror of sculpted hair floating a couple of mm's above the costume.

Nah, rooted for me everytime...

We've certainly come a long way from my Sideshow Bond Wai Lin and the Van Helsing Kate Beckinsale.:rotfl

lol Well, almost everytime :slap
But that's more down to Sideshow not having a clue how to make rooted heads.

lerath666 echoes my resolution to such problems (both camps are pretty firmly entrenched); an alternate head - one rooted, one sculpted to keep everyone happy. Even if it added a few quid to the price you could always sell the spare on ebay.

Wise words Miskatonic Nick....haven't heard from you for years...not since the old days on the actionfigure.com forum, when I was busy collecting star trek and Toybiz LOTR. Good to see you around!:hi5:

resident girl response here... ( ;)

rooted hair and wigged hair depends a lot on how it's rooted and the TYPE of hair used, there's lots of kinds of synthetic hair. I have had various types of barbie-like dolls (of varying quality of hair) since I was probably 5 years old... and I also have high end asian-ball-jointed dolls with wigged hair and ... then I wear a lot of wigs myself for costuming. There's a huge difference between bad hair and good hair, so saying that ALL synthetic hair looks frizzy, fake or bad, I think is a bit limiting as Niskatonic said!
(I also used to live in a place with high humidity )

I personally would rather have WELL DONE rooted hair than a sculpted hair-helmet when it comes to characters with long hair. And I bought the HT Jack Sparrow, and the sculpted hair was a bit of a detractor for me actually! But I'm sure they had their reasons. :)

Don't forget people while hot toys did indeed sculpt Jacks hair, Jack has dreadlocks( for sculpting,much more doable), had jacks hair been normal loose strands in the movie the figure definable wouldn't have sculpted hair.

Some styles work better sculpted while others are better rooted, in Amy's case she will need rooted hair if she is to look in anyway good, theres no way round it.

For those having trouble with rooted hair on ones they already have, you tried gently stroking it with an anti-static dryer sheet? Those things can do wonders even outside the dryer. You could condition the hair with something, but I'd hesitate since it'd touch the figure itself and might harm it. Probably the My Little Pony nerds know something about this. But yes, dryer sheet = worth a shot.

... it sounds way sillier than it is.

I think that this might go the way of Silk Spectre, I've had her since release and it looks like new. No loose strands or messy hair. If BC can achieve this quality, and trust me, they will, it'll be awesome.

I think that this might go the way of Silk Spectre, I've had her since release and it looks like new. No loose strands or messy hair. If BC can achieve this quality, and trust me, they will, it'll be awesome.

Hair aside, I always though that figure looked awful, it actually reminds me of a thunderbird doll.

Hair aside, I always though that figure looked awful, it actually reminds me of a thunderbird doll.

It was one of HT's first females so I forgive them. I actually really like it, looks pretty good in hand to me.

My Silk Spectre is excellent...get the coat right, so she doesn't look like a hooker and she looks great!!!:pfft:

I'm sure Amy will be even better.

I wonder what outfit she'll get. I hope the one from Night Terrors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back