New Doctor Who 1:6 from Big Chief Studios!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Doctor Who 1:6 and 1:4 announcement!

Followed by the "we must defend the manufacturer" viewpoint. And if they truly want/need these to sell and indeed are trying to please a lot of people then they need to realize that the pricepoint is rather high. Without getting into the whole how much it costs to run a business, the cost of these is likely to be a factor in the line's demise. I hope I'm mistaken, but I've seen it before.

I really think The Weeping Angel won't do very well unless it's extremely limited.

That's not true. It entirely depends on their price-point which we don't know yet. Being a solid, non-movable piece with only movable arms and head is bound to be cheaper, and they did say early on different things would be different price-points. Keep the faith till something is said official! :1-1:

I'm more interested in River than Amy - just because she has a cooler costume(s). I'm sure they are probably locked in by the license to doing current stuff first and they are smart to concentrate on Nu-Who - since that's what has brought people to the show in far greater number than the old show ever did.

I think the way they are going about it is fine. I do think it was a good idea to hold off on River and Rory though and go with the 10th Doctor and the Weeping Angel instead.

The fact that they haven't sold out of the limited edition means absolutely NOTHING. For one thing, I'm a huge DW fan but I wasn't spending a ton more money just for a little plate with a signature. I'm sure I'm not alone. Also, you have to realize that the limited edition is really only available to UK citizens on any practical level. For those outside the UK, it's an even more expensive proposition.

In addition - this is a new, unproven company. I think a LOT of people are waiting to see how the figure turns out in production before taking the plunge. If the production figure turns out great, then I can see the sales spiking for sure once people see in-hand pictures.

Right now, it's only diehards, early adopters, and possibly people who don't realize how different a production figure can look from the prototype.

As for the price point, I'd like to have paid $50 less, but I'm guessing these won't be made at the quantities that your typical Hot Toys figure is made if they are being realistic about the Doctor Who market so that MAY account for the price.

interesting veiws.

i agree that new who was probably the original focus of big chiefs licence- esp looking at otherseas with bbc america etc

the true test will be how well smith sells once released - if it is as good as the proto and sells well others will sell better

i agree the angel is a weird choice- not one ild spring for

i agree with the comments of the price piont but all the prices have crept up and it has affected my purchasing ie star wars sideshow

I'm more interested in River than Amy - just because she has a cooler costume(s). I'm sure they are probably locked in by the license to doing current stuff first and they are smart to concentrate on Nu-Who - since that's what has brought people to the show in far greater number than the old show ever did.

Numbers aren't everything though - the fanbase for NuWho is broader than the fanbase for Classic Who but shallower in terms of what it will pay for and how much it will pay (of course they overlap). The best model for this is the CO/ Underground Classic Who range. It's much more expensive than the NuWho line but it sells through (eventually). Doctor Who magazine is the best example - for years and years before NuWho it sold exactly the same number of copies every month, making it a reliable if unspectacular source of revenue for the publisher. There is a hard core of fans who will make Classic series items profitable, Nu Who, not so much. Going hard on very expensive new series items to start with is therefore a risk especially with secondary characters like Amy and the Angels.

I can see Ten and Nine being successful and maybe even a Rose if that was possible because she probably has the largest following of any companion other than Sarah Jane and Leela (but of course Billie Piper won't give out the rights). But that's it.

The fact that they haven't sold out of the limited edition means absolutely NOTHING. For one thing, I'm a huge DW fan but I wasn't spending a ton more money just for a little plate with a signature. I'm sure I'm not alone. Also, you have to realize that the limited edition is really only available to UK citizens on any practical level. For those outside the UK, it's an even more expensive proposition.

Not true. Even with increased international shipping, the fact that international orders don't pay the VAT on this piece mean that they will pay no more, and may even pay marginally less overall (depending on where they live), than those who buy the signature edition from within the UK.

Not true. Even with increased international shipping, the fact that international orders don't pay the VAT on this piece mean that they will pay no more, and may even pay marginally less overall (depending on where they live), than those who buy the signature edition from within the UK.

Well for Australia, the US dollar (if you buy this DW from somewhere like BBTS) exchange rate is waaaaaaay more favorable than the UK (to Oz) exchange rate.

There is no way I'd buy anything from the UK if I can also get it from America.

Billie won't get up the rights??

Surprised its her her choice, that was a bit of poor contract work by the beeb.

Anyone else still got control like that?

That's a bit difficult to believe. The signature edition of the 11th Doctor figure would come to about $260US before shipping for someone in the US. That's already $60 more than just pre-ordering the regular version of the figure from a US retailer. Add on say, $15 for shipping and that's $75 for a little piece of metal with Matt Smith's signature on it.

Now, I'm sure there are US fans who are willing to do that, but it doesn't mean that won't be a hurdle for a lot of others, causing them to go for the regular edition. If it were a $20 difference like it's a £20 difference in the UK, then I think they would have sold more signature editions in the US.

That's a bit difficult to believe. The signature edition of the 11th Doctor figure would come to about $260US before shipping for someone in the US. That's already $60 more than just pre-ordering the regular version of the figure from a US retailer. Add on say, $15 for shipping and that's $75 for a little piece of metal with Matt Smith's signature on it.

Now, I'm sure there are US fans who are willing to do that, but it doesn't mean that won't be a hurdle for a lot of others, causing them to go for the regular edition. If it were a $20 difference like it's a £20 difference in the UK, then I think they would have sold more signature editions in the US.

Sorry but us in the UK have to pay $310 before shipping for the signature so you're getting a good deal. That's a big jump and probably one of the highest retail prices for a human 1/6. Most normal human HT are marginally cheaper.

So your argument is flawed. It's far cheaper for you to own it that it is for me. Most UKers [outside the forum] would see the price and say "F%$&" that.

£20 will never = $20 so please, don't start. If you want a free or $20 exclusive get SS to make this.

The SE would only be about $220US (£142) before shipping to the US. So add $40 for that, and it comes to around $260US for the SE.

BBTS has the regular for $200US, then add probably $10 for postage, and the SE from the UK ends up only being about $50 extra. That doesn't seem too out of line with what some other companies charge for 'exclusive' versions.

I can see Billie relenting on her likeness rights after seeing what BC have done with Amy. This isn't the CO 5 inch range, after all. :D

Sorry but us in the UK have to pay $310 before shipping for the signature so you're getting a good deal. That's a big jump and probably one of the highest retail prices for a human 1/6. Most normal human HT are marginally cheaper.

So your argument is flawed. It's far cheaper for you to own it that it is for me. Most UKers [outside the forum] would see the price and say "F%$&" that.

£20 will never = $20 so please, don't start. If you want a free or $20 exclusive get SS to make this.

First, at what point did I say I wanted a free or $20 figure? I don't want the exclusive figure, I was explaining why the limited edition might not have much appeal outside the UK because of the cost and because of the nature of the exclusive. Therefore, the sales of the exclusive don't tell you ANYTHING about the success of the sales of the actual figure. I have a feeling you might have only skimmed my post.

Also you're not paying in US dollars! :slap Economies don't work like that. You can't start converting currency into US dollars and saying something is more expensive for you. Things are priced based on your local economy. You're right £20 is not equal to $20. In global terms £20 is worth MORE than $20 because the UK currency is stronger than the US dollar. Not as strong as it used to be true, but still stronger. That's why if we have to buy something from the UK in US money we end up paying more.

Let's say I get paid $8/hour. You get paid £8/hour. I buy an action figure for $16. I've worked an hour and a half for that figure. You pay £16. You've worked the same amount of time. So it doesn't cost you more at all.

I realize that's oversimplifying it for clarity (and not a good real world example) and some goods really do cost more in other countries because of a number of factors and that jobs don't always pay the exact same amount from country to country but in this case that's really the way you have to look at it in general as that's how goods are priced. Obviously VAT makes a difference but not THAT much of a difference where it's actually cheaper for me!

It's actually a very complex sort of thing to sum up and I'm not an economist, but you can read about it a bit here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power_parity

Or you can look at the "Big Mac Index" to see how close the UK and US are in their pricing: https://www.oanda.com/currency/big-mac-index

And I should stress that this works this way because the UK and US share a similar

The SE would only be about $220US (£142) before shipping to the US. So add $40 for that, and it comes to around $260US for the SE.

BBTS has the regular for $200US, then add probably $10 for postage, and the SE from the UK ends up only being about $50 extra. That doesn't seem too out of line with what some other companies charge for 'exclusive' versions.

Where are you getting the £142 price from? It's £169.99 on their website, unless they were having a deal I didn't know about? And even if you take your pricing structure, I'm not really arguing that it's overpriced, just that it's more than I'd be willing to pay for this type of exclusive. If it were an exclusive like Hot Toys does (which I'm glad it isn't!) that included some extra accessory or extra head or something then I could spring for it. But an autograph isn't really a big deal to me.

And as I said, this was all about showing why the (perceived) weak sales of the exclusive are not a good indicator of how well things are selling.

I can see Billie relenting on her likeness rights after seeing what BC have done with Amy. This isn't the CO 5 inch range, after all. :D

If only! I know part of her thing was distancing herself from being a role model for kids now that she had moved on, but since this is more aimed at an adult market, maybe she'd make an exception? I'd buy a Rose figure in a second.

Last edited:

Where are you getting the £142 price from? It's £169.99 on their website, unless they were having a deal I didn't know about?

It's £142 excluding VAT, which only customers in the UK and Europe have to pay.

It's £142 excluding VAT, which only customers in the UK and Europe have to pay.

Ahhhh... got it. :) I hadn't clicked through enough I guess... mostly because I have no interest in the exclusive and have it pre-ordered locally.

First, at what point did I say I wanted a free or $20 figure? I don't want the exclusive figure, I was explaining why the limited edition might not have much appeal outside the UK because of the cost and because of the nature of the exclusive. Therefore, the sales of the exclusive don't tell you ANYTHING about the success of the sales of the actual figure. I have a feeling you might have only skimmed my post.

"You" was a general term, not solely applied to you. I was simply stating that the $75 extra for the US to get the exclusive isn't a bad deal overall. The UK already have to pay VAT on it, but for the US it is VAT free. Trust me, I read your posts thoroughly.

Also you're not paying in US dollars! :slap Economies don't work like that. You can't start converting currency into US dollars and saying something is more expensive for you. Things are priced based on your local economy. You're right £20 is not equal to $20. In global terms £20 is worth MORE than $20 because the UK currency is stronger than the US dollar. Not as strong as it used to be true, but still stronger. That's why if we have to buy something from the UK in US money we end up paying more.

Of course I don't pay in dollars but the point still stands. The £170 is our price but your price would be £170 - 20% which is closer to £134 before shipping. A fair bit cheaper was my only point. It costs more for me, than you. Either way. Only because of the VAT set my the government.

I've seen sites [Forbidden Planet are common for it] stating the price of a figure is the EXACT same as the dollar price except with a £ sign added on instead when others will show a more true price. It sometimes seems like a "charge as much as you can get" system that is employed here especially when I could buy it cheaper from the US retailer taking into account VAT and Customs fees.

Tax always makes things more expensive. Just ask people from CA.

If only! I know part of her thing was distancing herself from being a role model for kids now that she had moved on, but since this is more aimed at an adult market, maybe she'd make an exception? I'd buy a Rose figure in a second.

Yeah, I don't know what the story is exactly but there seems to be a pretty firm veto from her on any more action figures. However, as I understand it the actors didn't own their likeness rights for Series One, they only had approval written into their contracts for Series Two onwards. But, don't quote me on this and someone else may know better.

Hmmm...I seem to have just written the worst post ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back