New Custom Shelf Project.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New addition to my shelf with Vaders approval. I'm actually done planning how to light the upper shelf.

I'll be putting 4-5 LED lights together and they will be mounted to PVC wood that's mounted to the ceiling which is vaulted. If the angle isn't perfect I'll have to use end pieces cut at an angle to provide the right light angle. The power wire will go into the ceiling and out into the attic and back into the room behind the shelf where it will plug into the power where the rest plugs in.

I will be installing one of those remote powered outlet covers so all can be turned on with one click of the remote.

My upstairs room sits inside the roof so 3 sides are accessible so that makes wiring an easy job.

IMG_7527.jpgIMG_7549.jpgIMG_7551.jpg

Ok so tonight I got a surprise. I have been trying to come up with a great way to display my coming Prime 1 Transformers. Now I have been collection the PFs for not that long and have enough to fill the new shelf featured in this thread and I have the 4 96'x39" or not sure on the width as I type this but my Jabbas Throne has a good 5" to spare on each side.

So I was going to build a low shelf along the wall opposite my the stair case or you know where you can look over to the stair case. I always hated the idea of closing the room in with the PAX and had them all moved there once. I didn't HATE it but it made the room feel slightly smaller. It is crazy how useless space is not so useless.

Anyway so my wife is like well why not build a matching shelf that is the length of the wall and up to the ceiling so you have more shelves. Uh really? I mean that is not cheap and with all the ordering that is even less cheap.

The vaulted ceiling is totally not going to allow me to really go up to the ceiling so it will end up being a 3 tier like this one with no TV in the middle. There are many options and all with the bathroom door that opens to it and the stair case exit like maybe I am thinking more of a trapezoid but then again do I want this thing. I could do the 2 tier open top so it at least retains the airyness.

So much to consider now, I mean sometimes you hear good news and yet it fraks up your plans. Trust me it is great news but I am now like what to do, where to go, don't do anything, build on another wall. UGH

If you see how bright the lower shelves are even though only 2 are on but all 4 light up that is the lights I will be mounting on the ceiling above. The top is far brighter in person and my fan lights not on.

I'll have 4-5 of those super bright dual ZLED lights all connected and mounted to vinyl wood. It's so bright on those other shelves from one. I have 4 in my garage spread out and it's like daytime out there or brighter and nice and white.

I still do not have all the pieces on the shelves. I'll be building the new shelf soon.

Got the wood for the frame today. I’m actually measuring right now for the 3 levels. Not sure I’ll be cutting today as I’m leaving for a cruise tomorrow. IS Vader will come while I’m gone so I told my brother no opening and careful moving the box.

Finally back from the cruise and tired lol so today I was able to actually cut the major from pieces. It’s not many but more work due to the angle of the cuts.

So I’ll assemble these 3 trapezoid levels and I’ll be stopping when I’m out shortly to get the braces I may or may not be using. I haven’t really decided how I’ll connect the 3 tiers or the size wood I’ll use in the front corners. I want to go with 2x4 but how I’ll connect it can play into the size of wood. I’ll figure that out today.

1C32B31F-9EFE-47D6-B7CB-B22A6E1D8C46.jpgF8C292D8-1EB6-4F66-A876-D280F39C1A09.jpg

Very nice Phastroh! Think I’ll try something custom over pax next time as well. You gonna leave the back open on that next shelf?

I am leaving the top open this go around but the lower two will be closed. I guess I decide for sure after the shelves are covered. I still sometimes wish I left the other top open but at the same time I like the white.

This new shelf willhese shelves are just beasts. At 34.5” they could almost hold those Transformers coming. My thoughts were that I had the room and I can fit 27” with plenty of room and it’s just big lol every time I go upstairs I’m like damn that’s big.

Now the top is still 8’ like the finished shelf but with a vaulted ceiling as you know the further from the wall the higher it is and behind the short wall is the stairs so unlike the back on the other at 8’ at the vaulteds lowest point I’d say I’m 4’ give or take away from where it starts at 8’ so the head room is great.

I went and purchased the 1/4 utility board but have to go back to have it all cut down the 27.5” wide from the 4’x8’ pieces. I got home and I’m like omg I’m not jigsawing these and having little waves. Had that issue on my top shelf of the finished one so once this is useable I’ll be moving all the pieces and fixing the other shelf.

Here is a fun note: on the top I have 1/2”x12” laminated wood to raise all the statues up due to the trim blocking their stands. I’m gonna throw some LEDS in color for night glow.

Only photo I could snag. Upper tier top and underneath arevdone and the tops of the other 2 are done. Just have to do the underneath of the middle tier. Had to eat then life got in the way but tomorrow I’ll do it.

Gotta start looking at lights. Like to use the super bright whites like my othervshekfdh.

414DB2EF-8909-496F-8CD8-D44F09EA9B92.jpg

Framing is basically done or is done and the top 2 shelves are cover top and bottom and bottom is covered on top only.

Lights and trim left. May or may not cover the back.

25D45D3A-DEA0-448E-BB13-1976EFB83C59.jpg88769350-4AC5-45F9-B38B-16BF2932E531.jpg7F6806C4-E388-45C6-9DF8-2A359685C96E.jpg

Ok got the trim started. I also installed the backing. I decided to make a beveled cut and I was concerned due to the cost of the pvc board but I had scraps to test and it went well.

So I have the untextured pvc to cover the 2x4s and some textured pieces going in front on the corners. I do have 4-5 textured 8’ boards left so I may use it in the back corners as well. Not sure yet but it would be nice to return a few pieces and get the vinyl tile I need instead. Nice surprise since each level is $35 to cover.

I have the 1/4 round but not enough and it’s pvc too so not cheap.

B8CA707B-3115-4653-A4BC-23F9DECBAA65.jpgA3732FC5-1E10-4595-921B-38B83D9BB933.jpg94268184-9E7F-4C08-9EF5-78D5489AEF48.jpg

Just a note: on the top left seem on the back board. It was tiny until my nail gun had to be dialed back so somehow it moved but I had to use trim on the seems anyway so it will be covered up.

So left to do is the vinyl tile for the shelves top and bottom then the lights and 1/4 round. Looking nice to me.

Added the front corner pillar trim. At this point I can’t put the non texture pvc over the 2x4s till my vinyl tile is purchased.

I can only get the marble to match the first cabinets flooring but the top needs white which is eluding me at a fair price. Lights are coming today and the rest tomorrow but can’t do those either without the vinyl.

8414E60A-847B-4926-9E21-34A1641DC2FA.jpg8BBFE9A6-C6A3-40F9-9C7E-A3FE747CCFAD.jpg

Back