New Custom Shelf Project.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I got a lot done today at least for me. Unfortunately the dead center has a slight dip in it due to one of the inner back 2x4s being off by like 1/4 inch. Now the good news is that when I cover the 2x4s up with nice finishing wood nobody will know of course unless you read this and additionally it is so slight no statue will be the wiser and if it was dangerous you bet all the screws would be coming out. Another solution is the level the flooring but it really is not but a hair. I even noticed the high angle of one or two photos not shown looks worse than in reality.

So with that here are some construction pix and maybe tomorrow I can work on the top area although I have still not decided on how I want to finish it off. I almost had a good mind not to and do someting different and crazy with an open top. I mean that may happen and it may look very nice.

Top-1.jpgTop-2.jpgTop-3.jpg

Yeah, I posted questions in the Vader Iron Studios thread.

I would leave the top open. Stop with the wood at the top shelf. What is the outside gonna be finished with? Also, ever thought about dry walling the whole thing? It would blend right into room. Use 5/8 You could leave the back wall same color and paint the shelve and side facing out a accent color. You would have to change a few things but it would be the cheapest way to go. I would beef up those columns too. Make them the same as the shelves. Is there any movement when you push or pull on it?

If you used 2x6s you could have installed lighting in each box.

I have considered drywall and other options.

The 2x6 is to hide the lighting and finish the front maybe I will stain it.

Not 100% on leaving it open. I wanted one wide shelf but I have something I can put on the front center wood beam if I decide to do a split top shelf.

Looking good! I like how you're able to build the components in the workshop and piece together in their final destination. When I finished my basement I had the luxury of not worrying about making a mess and was able to build great big things in the basement that didn't have to move much. Now that it's finished, any further shelving will require something like what you're doing. Very cool!

Dennis, how did you support the 10' spans?

I mean there's ways to do it but this is over 14' and due to the slants top to fit the vault angle I have no way to brace it front to back. I'm thinking it will be ok like that but I'd have to run lots of back to fronts on the top and I'm not looking to do that lol

For lighting I'm actually considering these. They are insanely bright and only $34 each and they can all chain together which could mean one switch. I can hide them above and while the top shelf could be revealing that's fine. They are like 4500 lumen.

Oh yeah and they are super white not yellowish. Additionally they spread well and it may be one light on the bottom each and 3 on top for a 7 count. They also can be chained together by plug instead of wire to make them one long unit. Far brighter than my current lights just gonna test one later with a fake flooring and covers to see. I want to drill for the wiring and these will make it a sinch.

IMG_5564.jpgIMG_5566.jpgIMG_5567.jpg

Light test. Holy bright. Photo has a glare but it's not like that in person it's insanely lit up. I think I got a winner.

IMG_5581.jpg

Did the top. Yes it will have the dreaded divider. It's ok maybe I can figure something out.

Once I cut and attach the back to front pieces it should be done for the frame. I have to get some 2x2s for the top back horizontal piece tomorrow.

Covering will be a big job.

IMG_5608.jpgIMG_5610.jpg

So wow tough job lol doing all the top pieces with L brackets. Lot of switching drill bit for Phillip to star tip. So basically I have to go back and put in wood 2x2s like 10" long to mount the covering to. I will use predrilled holes and liquid nails to secure it.

Found this cork looking board at HD that's coated in a semi reflective white near identical to laminate if it's not that exactly. It's very flexible but I'll be having it cut down for each section and any angles I'll have to do. It it lays tight like it should I'll consider caulking the edges. I'm not making it look like a POS so I'll see.

IMG_5618.jpgIMG_5619.jpg

Ugh I went to have stuff cut yesterday and it is never fun but the guy at HD was pretty cool. I orginally went to get the flimsy white coated board but the guy showed me another product I actually had no idea they had. It comes in the standard 96x48 and it a white board that is flexible and you can actually use it for a dry eraser and draw on it and erase. I do not plan to draw on it but this stuff is highly reflective and my hope is that the LED lighting will be extra, extra bright. One thing I am concerned with is my TV reflection lol but I hardly watch it.

So I covered all the shelves and installed the block for mounting the board in each shelf area. I have yet to install the underneath to the shelves as I have not settled on lighting just yet. I did in my mind but I am unsure on the mounting just yet.

Let's discuss that. If the lights are mounted directly on the board I cover the under shelf area directly above the statues it only leaves 2-3" between the light and statue. It is acceptable but I am not sure I like it. Even with the wider wood covering the 2x4s you may still see it.

My thought is a test to see what happens if I just leave them uncovered allowing my to put the light even higher up inside the shelf box and mount you see in the previous post. I can do this and not have to directly drill the light as they come with chains and therefore I can adjust them up and down and if needed replace them without having to take the wood covering off.

It all comes down to presentation. I can't have ugly 2x4's visible from the couch, no offense to any 2x4 reading this. I truly think from my computer at work and not being home to check that this will likely work. The wide wood plus it being below most peoples eye level except for the top shelf nobody will ever see the 2x4s if left open. One more advantage is that I can run the cords out a hole in the side of the outer 2x4 by the walls and you will not ever see them as they will all plug in behind the TV console.

My idea for the top is simple. Thankfully the lights are a feather and they connect with a side plus so that it looks like one continuous light out of up to 10 units. Additionally I can plug all 7 into each other as one switch and will if I can as they also come with about a 4-5' plug to link them far away. I will post the lighting part when I do it.

So I will likely get one long 2x2 and mounts it horizontally across the 3 beams up top and then bolt the LEDs to it. This will be a tough job but I think it can be done and if needed I will hang them. It will look just fine but it HAS to be secure. Can't have $75 in lights destroy $1000s in statues.

Enjoy these progress pix. Let me know what you think.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I love these type of threads and wish I had the skills to do something similar. Looks great so far. Can't wait to see it finished and stocked!

Thanks DD and Mega it is not so much skill as it is a vision. Using the tools is something anyone can do. As I have gone alone one thing I have tried to do was be sure that everything was measured correctly. I found that even when that is correct things can move while screwing them together. Pre-drilling has really helped with this. I drill through and just into the piece behind it.

That can also not always help so that is why they invented trim lol

As you will see in these photos I had a major issue up top. This all started with a 1/4 inch being off on one piece of 2x4. It is the back right piece in the center cubby hole. It is next to the TV. My mistake was moving forward and then trying to address it. While in the end trim will hide nearly all issues it was a huge pain and very aggravating. So where do I sit?

Right now all the white board is in place. Yes I used the same material they use for the dry erase boards. It is super bright and reflective and the light already is bouncing real nice off of it

So what you will see now is that I have installed all of it except the top left and right sides. Those will get done later today. After that I have 3/4" 1/4 round that will cover the horrible mess up top where the 2 pieces meet in the back. I already had that planned and it will make it look nice and tidy.

In the photos you will see all the tiny pieces I had to add to install the 1/4 round and the upper pieces. It was a last minute idea because between the 1/4" post that ended up making the 2 7" boxes misalign by so little and the HD cutting job I had an issue. It looks bad but I am confident after I loosen some screws and nail up the 1/4 round it will look ok. As I said I was gonna use the 1/4 round no matter. I will use it on all the seems I can.

I am still not close to getting the flooring for the shelves and have still not picked anything 100% The one I want may be a no-go being black and gray so it is possible I will use a simple white board. Stay tuned and I hope when it is done it is as good as I want it to be and so others can enjoy it.

Voltron is sick of waiting down stairs lol

So I am here to say the top of this shelf is a fail lol even 1/4 round could not save it. I do have a few options.

1) Leave it and get the white cabinet tape and use it to straighten the lines.
2) Cut the whole top off and hang lights from the ceiling.
3) Cut the top off and rebuild it off the unit perfectly and then attach it on top using brackets.
4) Use it as it is and be happy the rest is near perfect.
5) redo the front parts with a 2x4 as the 2x2 it likely the reason for the messed up stuff due to its flexible nature even though it's not looking like it's flexing.

Moving along the lights I'm using are blindingly bright. They are 100% and face on an angle toward the display area. I have never seen lights this bright on a display. 4500 lumen each unit.

Honestly it's only that top line that's killing this.

Here are some pix. I'm loving the light and display areas. Almost time for that front trim woohoo.

IMG_5716.jpgIMG_5721.jpgIMG_5722.jpg

Well after consideration I ripped the whole top off but it's for the better. I already have a way to fix this the right and better way. It all came down to one piece of wood that was 1/2 inch too long. I forgot to fix it like an idiot so it caused a huge fitment issue as I installed the white board. Funny part is had I started on the side it was on this would likely have gone better.

So to fix this I'm going to install 2x4s and redo the back braces. My dumb mistake was to install 3 vertical 2x2s and then 4 horizontal 2x2s across the length of the back. Now they were all level and really were not the problem but once I started I just said screw it I'll take it all off. All I found not aligned was that single piece I mentioned. Makes sense though now.

Anyway tomorrow I will start by cleaning up the wood which is all neatly stacked and is all vacuumed up. I'll double check the ends distance front to back and get going. I really tried to hide the 2x4s and that was also a game changer for this top that follows the vaulted ceiling. I'm keeping the angle but this time I'm keeping it simple and using the idea I used for the lower shelves.

So in the pix are dark but I tested my Voltron and with this large top shelf it's tough to put lights above him. I have and idea but I'll know tomorrow if it will work.

IMG_5724.jpgIMG_5726.jpg

Ok this is how it's staying at least for a while. Not messy but this is the top. Gotta measure and go back for more white board.

IMG_5761.jpg

Ok all is down, new board is here. Already working on it and will post pix tomorrow or today actually it's late lol or early.

I think having an open top but closed on 3 sides will look amazing. I'll see about adding trim.

Ok it's done, well not the shelf but the covering. Just have to put the 1/4 round on, front trim and flooring oh and the rest of the lights.

The lights are just 3 screws and some ceiling mounted remote controlled leds but I'll be testing those before I use them.

Ok nearing the end and I'm excited and tired lol

IMG_5783.jpgIMG_5803.jpgIMG_5804.jpg

Back