New Custom Shelf Project.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks

The LED spot lights are a no-go. Just to dim and small even with 6. For now I'll go without. In the photos the top looks dim but they aren't and the lower 2 are insane bright. I'm just going to focus on the matting for the shelves, the front trim and the remaining 2/4 round.

Installing the led lighting was a huge job for lights that have one screw holding them in. I'll take pix later of them.

I wanted to test the shelves so I put these statutes on it for now. I can't get to all of my statues right now and not all pieces will be going up on here as I'm moving stuff around, keeping some PAX and things like that.

IMG_5832.jpgIMG_5833.jpg

It looks good. It's really coming along. What are you going to do for lighting on the very top shelf?

Yes I am extremely happy with the way it is. The LEDs lights I used are the Honeywell Shop Lights. They are so perfectly white and bright. I planned on using them on an angled bracket over the top. I can put them all together side by side as they lock with a small hard plug between them so there is no space and then drill them to a piece of wood. I can assemble the whole thing on the floor and only have to mount the bracket for the wood mounts.

I am upset at not being able to decide which color and type of flooring to put on the shelves themselves and so I had left over Opal Stone Laminate I used on the rooms flooring so i thought why not match it. It is textured but that is fine, it's durable and strong but I have to order 2 boxes and wait a week. I wanted to finish it right away except the top lights.

I still have not yet decided on the trim for the front either. Lot's of choices but to be honest I want to get something cheap because they all look the same in the end to me. I am just going to get the 6" to hide the 2x4's but I will likely use white.

The only thing I have to do I did not expect is now covering up top behind the lights. That will be easy buy annoying.

So I decided to pass on matching the flooring of the room with the shelves and use the vinyl marble tiles. Far cheaper, perl and stick install and no waiting as it's at the store. I am loving the look and it does look amazing to me. Gonna cut the pieces tonight to finish off the shelves. I was considering not doing the top shelf but I have enough left to do it.

Next is the 1/4 round and then trim.

IMG_5863.jpgIMG_5864.jpgIMG_5865.jpg

So close, so close. I will admit it's not perfect but I'm happy right now. Had to make be everything up top to finish the tile and 1/4 round. Frikin nailgun broke with 2 nails left do I had to go get one and more 1/4 round.

I still have yet to pick the front trim. Wife says white but the white nylon or whatever 1x6s are not cheap. Like $25 for -2' so I'd need let's see near 50-60' so like $150 or a little less. Let's put this in my view. I could get those or get wood and paint it for not much less. I did stumble upon a pressed board that's primed like 16' for only $2 I was like whaaaaat. It looks very nice as well but I'm really not wanting to paint but I'd have to nail it on and then fill and paint it.

I guess brushing on white paint won't be smelling much when dried as opposed to a spray can pre nailing. Tough choice.

So here's new pix. Still have to worry about the top lightsIMG_5892.jpgIMG_5894.jpgIMG_5896.jpg later.

I decided on PVC textured trim over the flat trim. Either way it's not cheap. I am having a slight issue with wood showing so I am going to check out some options tomorrow but right now I'm going to sleep.

IMG_5903.jpg

Just nailed up the first 2 pieces. I mean darn it even deciding which ones to run to the edges was annoying. Finishing it today but I'm going to have a little brainstorming session for the areas between the front trim and white and tile.

IMG_5912.jpg

Nearing finishing. I have some stuff to do though and wiring to run in back, blue LEDs on the sides to shine against the wall. This is it now. Gotta take all the statues out to move it but it's not like they are staying in those spots.

IMG_5919.jpg

Nearing finishing. I have some stuff to do though and wiring to run in back, blue LEDs on the sides to shine against the wall. This is it now. Gotta take all the statues out to move it but it's not like they are staying in those spots.

View attachment 361914

Looking good! The decision on the white trim in front was a good one, gives it a very clean look. Congrats!

So since I took the pix I had to actually pull the 1/4 round that was going front to back on all the shelves so that I could then install non-texture 3.5" pvc trim all around the shelves to hide the last bit of wood showing. The trim did not hide it well from the sides like planned but this actually looks great and gives the shelves a damn heavy duty look.

I am currently doing a few boring things right now that include.

Rewiring the TV and Onkyo system.

Installing accent lighting and wiring all the lighting as well to one plug. I have had a lot to do honestly since finishing but with just some details left it should be smooth sailing.

One thing that is taking up a lot of time is rearranging the rest of the room. Trust me it is a huge mess or was and now I have removed some cabinets and really made some headway. Soon it will all be done. If I could just not have to go to work and have a family lmao I am kidding I only get a few hours a day and 50% is decision making.

I wired it all up and it's in place. Had an issue with a led transformer so I had to take out the blue LED tubes in the back. I may put them in at a later date but I don't care.

This is how it sits now. I really need to cover the underneath of the 2nd shelves but I can do that with it as is. There's a small mounting issue but honestly I am too tired to do it now. Found out today I have a torn labrum and fracture to some bone in my shoulder socket. Never stopped me from labor lol but it does hurt but whatever.

Thanks for the nice comments but really anyone can make this and probably better.

I'll be moving the statues over in a few days or so. I have to get this place cleaned up. I may or may not be making a shelf system for the wall opposite this. Right now I have my 4 huge PAX with the leds installed that I was already using. Overflo and I'm going to likely sell my Detolfs. Need the pedestals each sits on forthe P1 Transformers. They may look funny in the PAX.

Biggest Regret of the build so far. Not using my nail gun on the panels and having to cover the silver screws with caps. That and not being a little smarter and using all 2x4s as that would solve the mounting issue of the under panels.

IMG_6073.jpgIMG_6074.jpgIMG_6075.jpg

Getting there. I have decisions to make in groups like my 3 sideshow Halo pieces or keeping them with the other stuff.

IMG_6081.jpgIMG_6082.jpg

You've got plenty of room to grow your collection. I can't wait to see pictures of it filled up.

I have other PFs but the 3 Halo PFs I leave with the set of 3as and McFarlane pieces. There's other things coming and some I am selling. I have 3 Dinosauria pieces and so it's tough to just slap them all up there.

Back