New 30th Anniversary Sideshow Star Wars packaging

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abstractharmony said:
I'm sure that with the SSC boxes they will just design a slipcase over the top (a la the PF's) with the 2007 design.

That would be the best solution, IMHO.

I just hope that SSC would absorb any extra costs that adding a slipcase would involve and not affect the retail prices of the figures. It appears that they have already raised them about $5 each. :(

If Plo Koon comes out today for anything more than $49.99 then we pretty much have confirmation of a price hike.

Another one of Lucas's "great" ideas..................... :rolleyes:

Why doesn't he just sit back and let the checks roll in?

Jesse

IrishJedi said:

I just hope that SSC would absorb any extra costs that adding a slipcase would involve and not affect the retail prices of the figures. It appears that they have already raised them about $5 each. :(

If Plo Koon comes out today for anything more than $49.99 then we pretty much have confirmation of a price hike.
I am pretty sure that Plo Koon will be more the $49.99 but I don't think it wil have anything to do with the box. I would think that Kit and Plo would be priced the same $54.99 and that would be in line with the last few released except for Leia who was a $59.99.

IrishJedi said:

I am pretty sure that Plo Koon will be more the $49.99 but I don't think it wil have anything to do with the box. I would think that Kit and Plo would be priced the same $54.99 and that would be in line with the last few released except for Leia who was a $59.99.

Jesseawilson said:
Another one of Lucas's "great" ideas..................... :rolleyes:

Why doesn't he just sit back and let the checks roll in?
Uh, dude.... Lucas doesn't have anything to do with this stuff personally. It's all Lucasfilm Marketing & Licensing. I'm sure he could care less either way.

mfoga said:
Was the Kit Regular Edition $54.99 as well? My bad. I thought the extra $5 for him was for the metal Droid Head, just like Exclusive Han was $5 more for the mynock.

I do think SSC jacked the prices up $5 per figure sometime after Mace/Han (who were both $49.99 regular editions).

I don't care what kind of box it comes in. I care about what's IN the box.

That's great. Seriously. But a lot of collectors DO care about overall product presentation (including packaging) and SSC is fully aware of this or they wouldn't have gone out of their way to make the 1/6 packaging as great and collector-friendly as it is already.

A lot of people display their packaging (whether the figure is inside or removed) so if SSC changed the style of the packaging 12-15 figures into the line you can see how many people would be annoyed. Right now, the line has a beautiful uniformity to it as far as packaging, and that would be blown out of the water if SSC was forced to make these changes (unless they did the slip case thing... excellent idea!)

That's fine but I'm not gonna get my panties all in a wad over if the box style change. I undesrstand that some folks do care and some folks display their boxes. However, the box in the long run is the least important part of the figure.

IrishJedi said:
That's great. Seriously. But a lot of collectors DO care about overall product presentation (including packaging) and SSC is fully aware of this or they wouldn't have gone out of their way to make the 1/6 packaging as great and collector-friendly as it is already.

A lot of people display their packaging (whether the figure is inside or removed) so if SSC changed the style of the packaging 12-15 figures into the line you can see how many people would be annoyed. Right now, the line has a beautiful uniformity to it as far as packaging, and that would be blown out of the water if SSC was forced to make these changes (unless they did the slip case thing... excellent idea!)

That's fine and I understand the concern. I was just stating how I persoanlly felt about it. I am sure some agree and some don't.

I'd be interested to know what Sideshow thinks of this. They've already spent money on R&D for box design. Who's responsible for the cost of the new design? Will it affect the cost of the product? If not, does Sideshow have to absorb the extra cost? So on and so forth...

Dusty, can you get an answer from some of the suits/higher ups? ;) :D

I think it will likely be a slip-case type thing. as long as there are no twisties and there are magnets in the flaps, I will be a happy camper still... :cool:

High-End Collector Packaging for 2007 said:
Phillipson also wanted to bring a cohesive line look to the various Star Wars collectible lines, which included consideration of the different types of packaging formats for specific products, such as closed and window boxes.
The physical box may not have to change, just the graphical elements.

Universal once had mandate for their Universal Monsters licensees. All designs had to incorporate a specific color scheme and other graphical elements, but a variety of physical box, card, etc., design was allowed within those constraints.

drprtrs.gif

Like I said earlier I just hope they get to keep the 12" the way it is because I like uniformity.:D

For PF just designing a slip case would be cool.

mfoga said:

$59.99 for Plo...

And I think that when the Lucas licensing folks say "jump," Sideshow is required to ask "how high" or else lose their ability to produce Star Wars merchandise. If Lucas wants matching boxes for a year, I think he will get them.

Back