New 3 3/4 Inch Marvel Universe Line...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Won't be much of a future if the prices don't come down a little bit. $8 for a bare bones figure is really far too much.

Agreed. Saw them for the first time at my local TRU last night. If the figures were $4 or two packs for $8 I would have bought one of each! At $8 a pop though...Ill be getting Hulk/hulk related characters and variants...thats it.

Won't be much of a future if the prices don't come down a little bit. $8 for a bare bones figure is really far too much.
Well, up until recently GI Joes were flying off the shelves at those prices. And given that the Marvel figures will have a much broader base of potential buyers, and many, many more potential characters, I think the Marvel figures can have quite a life-span at this price. Of course, the economy may say otherwise :(

Well, up until recently GI Joes were flying off the shelves at those prices. And given that the Marvel figures will have a much broader base of potential buyers, and many, many more potential characters, I think the Marvel figures can have quite a life-span at this price. Of course, the economy may say otherwise :(

Well when people are used to paying $10-$11 for a 6 inch figure...it kinda smarts to buy a 3.75 in figure for $8! Not to mention the DC equivalent by Mattel has 3 packs of 3.75 in figures for $12.99!

I bought an Iron-Man and the Silver Surfer... Is the stealth Iron-Man some type of variant? I saw one but at the price point I didn't really care to start down that road.:lol

Wake me up when they do a World War Hulk figure...

I never collected ML's so I can't complain about the prices of MU figs. But, I'm sure these will do very well and the prices are here to stay, so the old prices of ML figs are just another thing we can look back upon one day and be sad about:( Anybody got pics of theirs with one of the ML Sentinels? I'm thinking about making a small display dio with the X-men characters

I never collected ML's so I can't complain about the prices of MU figs. But, I'm sure these will do very well and the prices are here to stay, so the old prices of ML figs are just another thing we can look back upon one day and be sad about:( Anybody got pics of theirs with one of the ML Sentinels? I'm thinking about making a small display dio with the X-men characters

Oh Im sure the prices are here to stay. All I know is that they lost my business on the line. And Im sure I'm not alone!

Well when people are used to paying $10-$11 for a 6 inch figure...it kinda smarts to buy a 3.75 in figure for $8! Not to mention the DC equivalent by Mattel has 3 packs of 3.75 in figures for $12.99!
I understand that, but regarding the DC figures, those are so pathetic that I wouldn't pay $1 for them. No articulation, crappy sculpts, messy paint. Blech.

I understand that, but regarding the DC figures, those are so pathetic that I wouldn't pay $1 for them. No articulation, crappy sculpts, messy paint. Blech.

Never bought the 3.75 in DC figures. The DC Universe Classics 6 in line is the best action figure line going right now though! :rock:rock

Yeah Hasbro has a way of taking something great and making it cheap and undesirable.

Don't they though? Their attention to quality has been tied to an anchor and and thrown into the ocean to sink and die.

If these figures were $2.99 a piece, then maybe. $7.99 is outrageous for those pieces of crap... which to be honest, they really are. I'm not at all impressed with what I'm seeing.

Don't they though? Their attention to quality has been tied to an anchor and and thrown into the ocean to sink and die.

If these figures were $2.99 a piece, then maybe. $7.99 is outrageous for those pieces of crap... which to be honest, they really are. I'm not at all impressed with what I'm seeing.
I think their Joes are generally of very good quality, though. It must vary from license to license somehow, probably based on who they think is buying.

Joes are made to appeal to, in general, an older and pickier audience, whereas the main audience for the Marvel figures is probably little kids, who won't care. So, Hasbro lets the cheaper, crappier factory in Hong Kong produce those.

Word. Their Hawkman is a thing of true beauty. Stay far, far away from the little bastards, though, or you will regret it :)

Hawkman is by far the coolest non BAF action figure I own! Can't wait for Hawkwoman to complete the set! And the Solomon Grundy BAF is a work of art!!

:lecture:lecture:lecture

I think their Joes are generally of very good quality, though. It must vary from license to license somehow, probably based on who they think is buying.

Joes are made to appeal to, in general, an older and pickier audience, whereas the main audience for the Marvel figures is probably little kids, who won't care. So, Hasbro lets the cheaper, crappier factory in Hong Kong produce those.

Have to say, I've seen a total of one kid in a comic book store in all of the years now that I've been buying comics. One, and he came in, bought a Pirates of the Caribbean comic, and left. Frankly I don't know how well the twelve and under crowd can follow and appreciate comics these days. One line I would never have thought kids would begin to wrap their minds around was T-bolts, my personal favorite, the characters from which are now dominating the Marvel U. I don't see kids grasping the storylines and having a great familiarity with situation and vocabulary concerning the events transpiring. What I like about comics today is how adult they are, and how they don't pander to a young audience... which undoubtedly wouldn't be able to afford comics these days (I have a hell of a time setting aside the necessary cash for my favorite issues). That's Marvel, and with DC any major event requires knowledge of far-reaching backstories which a kid who just picks up a comic casually I don't think would understand. Atrocitus prying open a man's ribcage to spill his blood in a voodoo prophecy to read the secrets of the present and future; Norman Osborn crucifying the Swordsman and savagely beating women; Bullseye murdering civilians including children with nothing but relish... saying these characters aren't gaining attention because they are geared to kids whereas GI Joe is not just isn't a pov that holds ground. Granted, I still bought comics when I was a kid and was reading things I didn't wholly understand nor appreciate at the time, but it got me exposure. Kids do buy comics, but the crowd who goes to the store religiously to grab the newest issues and dumps out wads of cash on the counter, are, I think, largely the 20s-40s crowd, the people who I see there every week.

Though I have to say regarding DC opposite Hasbro with Marvel, DCD does a great job of churning out quality figures representing the characters, and which collectors and kids can both appreciate in equal fashion.

I'm not a Joe collector, but I can understand the nostalgia; I just think that the design for Joe figures is tried and true, going faaaaaar back through what Hasbro has done over the years and hasn't changed. Their JP action figures were of the very, very highest caliber for the first and second films... but when the third rolled around they were producing tinker toys for children, not figures for collectors and kids alike. I think that most of Hasbro's lines today are utter ^^^^, and Joe collectors are fortunate not to have to worry about decline in quality. If a company that regularly produces ^^^^ creates a new line at the height of their ^^^^ empire, you have to expect the product to again be naught but ^^^^. Enter this Marvel line. God I hope they turn things around. The preview shots looked awesome, just not digging the in-hand figs.

Last edited:
I agree that the increase in comic prices, and increasingly dark and 'adult' nature of comics is going to gain less kid fans, and after Dark Knight I feared that this could be a really bad thing for Marvel/DC in the long run, since they aren't "getting them early" like they did with me, and no doubt, many of you guys.

But, there are still Marvel/DC baby toys, cartoons, comics, and even some of the movies that largely appeal to little kids. Even if they never read an issue of Spiderman, every kid knows who he is and what he does. Duke, Cobra Commander? Those aren't embedded into the social consciousness like "superheroes" are. They are something kids of the 80s know, and that's about it (talking of the 3 3/4" variety, of course).

I haven't seen many kids in the comic shop, either, but I sure have seen them picking up Hulk and Spidey action figures at the Wal-Mart/Target. And you always see lots of beat up Marvel Legends on EBay that were really extensively played with. Not so much with Joes.

But even if this weren't the case, I don't know what else would account for the drastic difference in quality between lines. Maybe it just seems better because they are smaller and you can't notice the flaws so much.

Back