New 3 3/4 Inch Marvel Universe Line...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that the increase in comic prices, and increasingly dark and 'adult' nature of comics is going to gain less kid fans, and after Dark Knight I feared that this could be a really bad thing for Marvel/DC in the long run, since they aren't "getting them early" like they did with me, and no doubt, many of you guys.

But, there are still Marvel/DC baby toys, cartoons, comics, and even some of the movies that largely appeal to little kids. Even if they never read an issue of Spiderman, every kid knows who he is and what he does. Duke, Cobra Commander? Those aren't embedded into the social consciousness like "superheroes" are. They are something kids of the 80s know, and that's about it (talking of the 3 3/4" variety, of course).

I haven't seen many kids in the comic shop, either, but I sure have seen them picking up Hulk and Spidey action figures at the Wal-Mart/Target. And you always see lots of beat up Marvel Legends on EBay that were really extensively played with. Not so much with Joes.

But even if this weren't the case, I don't know what else would account for the drastic difference in quality between lines. Maybe it just seems better because they are smaller and you can't notice the flaws so much.

The paint apps are really just awful on the Marvel line. I was pumped to pick up the Goblin and Bullseye from the promo pics, but once I saw in-hand pics I did an about-face; particularly of the Goblin whose poor paint apps on the eyes made him look like the slow kid in class who gets the circles of paper instead of the sheets.

The nice thing about comic movies is that they are made to appeal to a wider demographic and draw kids in. I'd like to think IM, TDK, and Hulk did much to kick serious ass for comic sales this year.

The paint apps are really just awful on the Marvel line. I was pumped to pick up the Goblin and Bullseye from the promo pics, but once I saw in-hand pics I did an about-face; particularly of the Goblin whose poor paint apps on the eyes made him look like the slow kid in class who gets the circles of paper instead of the sheets.

The nice thing about comic movies is that they are made to appeal to a wider demographic and draw kids in. I'd like to think IM, TDK, and Hulk did much to kick serious ass for comic sales this year.

I think it falls to the parents now to get thier kids interested in comics. The whole industry has definately shifted to a more mature audiance. Hopefully my fanboy nature rubs off on my kids someday! In fact its already started. My daughter (13 months old) loves to look at my Sideshow Marvel busts and PF figures!

I think it falls to the parents now to get thier kids interested in comics. The whole industry has definately shifted to a more mature audiance. Hopefully my fanboy nature rubs off on my kids someday! In fact its already started. My daughter (13 months old) loves to look at my Sideshow Marvel busts and PF figures!

I figured, if I can get my girlfriend to read The Long Halloween, Watchmen, and Ultimates 2, and love them all, as well as accept my collecting hobby, well, the future is looking good for my kids reading comics. :lol

YEAH! Asked the guy over myspace when the next truck was coming in, and he had said this morning. Headed there today around 12 and was able to pick up 2 Comic Deadpools. Also picked up a Punisher in hopes of swapping the heads with a SW head, but that didn't work out, but Deadpool is pretty nice.

I thought about picking up Stealth Ironman and/or Silver Surfer (like the paints used on them) but passed for now.

my favorites of the ones i have so far...still looking for hulk and capt. america...

007-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

004.jpg

051.jpg

This is the only one I would buy...Possibly the brown wolvy & stealth IM...

This line is waaaaaay too expensive to indulge in. The paint apps on these figures suck. I saw them all but passed on most. I found a decent Captain America and picked up the ugly Spidey, the cool Green Goblin and sweet Silver Surfer; but that's it outta these first waves. I can't believe the high cost on these! I'll find them cheap at the local thrift stores in 6 months or so. I wish they would continue the 6" line.

BB

This line is waaaaaay too expensive to indulge in. The paint apps on these figures suck. I saw them all but passed on most. I found a decent Captain America and picked up the ugly Spidey, the cool Green Goblin and sweet Silver Surfer; but that's it outta these first waves. I can't believe the high cost on these! I'll find them cheap at the local thrift stores in 6 months or so. I wish they would continue the 6" line.

BB

If I could pick up some custom repainted ones, then I would. I would prefer the Green Goblin without the painted pupils, rather like lenses instead. One because it reminds me of his reemergence into the fore in T-bolts, and two because I think it'll probably be impossible to find one with the pupils painted evenly. Still, the price is outrageous.

202_0201.jpg

202_0204.jpg

deadpool is the best of the set so far for me. played with the colors a little to make it more cartoonish/comic looking.

I know that some of my fan-boy nature has rubbed off on my son. He's only 7 years old, but he's already a fan of X-Men, Spiderman, Superman, and more. It's not because of movies either. He reads all my old comics, and really gets into the story lines. He's even taken a slight interest in the Watchmen, but I think he'll be a little older before he takes on that book...

I know that some of my fan-boy nature has rubbed off on my son. He's only 7 years old, but he's already a fan of X-Men, Spiderman, Superman, and more. It's not because of movies either. He reads all my old comics, and really gets into the story lines. He's even taken a slight interest in the Watchmen, but I think he'll be a little older before he takes on that book...

And God. Bless. You. Too. It's nice to see people getting their kids into comics. One day I'd like to do the same for my seed. :banana:rock

Thats awesome! Gives me hope. When I found out I was having a little girl I was extremely happy...but I was a bit dissapointed in thinking she probably wouldnt have any interest in comic books. Then I went to Wizard World in Philly, and there was a little girl waiting in line to have Angel Medina draw her a Spider-man villian. She said she came every year with her dad. At that point I thought...yeah...why CAN'T she like comics! So I started teaching her about Super Heroes when she was 5 months old! Just gotta wait and see if it pays off :rock :rock :rock

my son and daughter are into the super heroes thing as well. my daughter (6 almost 7) is always bringing home the batman and spider man kid books from her library. she was looking at all my watchmen figures the other day and wanted to look through the graphic novel but i said she needed to be a little older. i kept seeing random watchmen figures go missing at various times during the day and then i was flooded with drawings of the characters left on my desk.

WOO! Found my partially assembled Galactus Marvel Legends figure so now I'm going after the missing parts. He is gonna look awesome with the smaller Surfer from the Universe line.

WOO! Found my partially assembled Galactus Marvel Legends figure so now I'm going after the missing parts. He is gonna look awesome with the smaller Surfer from the Universe line.

im betting he will, before people were using the marvel showdown surfer with their BAF Glactus.

I've pretty much decided that I'm sticking pretty much with "team" figures from the Universe line. X-Men, FF, Spidey.. maybe Daredevil because I can throw him with Spidey but guys like Luke Cage and Iron Fist.. not so much. I am just really angry because I passed up Goblin to get Surfer and now I can't find him anywhere but there are Surfers a-plenty. I'm also really curious to see which Xavier they do, hoverchair or wheel chair. I'll take either but I want them both eventually so I can have the 90's Jim Lee line up. That's why Im tempted to pick up comic Gambit from the Wolverine line.

I'm not sure why people are so surprised at the skyrocketing prices of mass market figures considering the dwindling supply of petroleum and the rapidly rising prices of labor in Asia. Toys seem to be rising in price across the board (witness the latest prices for Sideshow and Hot Toys figures).

I've been generally pleased by the paint apps on the MU figures; they seem much better than what was coming on Marvel Legends (both the Hasbro and late ToyBiz ones) for quite some time and leave those awful DC Infinite Heroes figures in the dust, and, from what I've seen, are comparable to GI Joe and Star Wars.

The only mass market line consistently better than MU at the moment seems to be DC Universe Classics, and the prices are really starting to jump on those, that is, when you can actually find them in stores.

So anyone wanna clue me on on wtf is up with War Machines crazy prices on eBay? All I need is Galactus' right leg but I'm not paying the same price as a complete Galactus figure to get it. If I knew about all these crazy prices I would have got the 3 that were hanging on the pegs at a local KMart a few months ago.

Juggernaut = laughable :rotfl

And wtf is up with the spots on Venom's tongue? That figure might actually be really cool were it not for that.

Back