New 12" Ghosbusters Pics from SDCC!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While they have a cartoon look, I think it works with the characters. Other than changing boots and elbow pads, I'd leave em as is.

While they have a cartoon look, I think it works with the characters. Other than changing boots and elbow pads, I'd leave em as is.

Yeah, me too. I think the likenesses are damn good except for Ray, and even he's passable. These are a steal for $60 imo.

They had white belts dyed a light gray. I'm sold on these figures, and the smaller scale ones as well! I cannot wait to get these!

there is a murray head on the table in front of venkman that looks much better. wonder if its pending approval or something?

Nice, Venkman and Winston look cool enough.

And check out the 6" Walter Peck w/ Containment Unit.

Mattel is the biggest toy company in the world and I have no doubt their 12" product will only get better. This is a start to what I think will be cornering the 12" figure market. Their sculpts and paint apps will improve ............ they've already started selling in similar fashion online.

Mattel in 3-5 years will own the 12", 7" and "other" toy market. Companies like HT's, Medicom and EB will still be around but again not the major player.

Sideshow 5 years ago looked just like these GB's figures.

GhostbustersVenkmen.jpg

DSCN0340.jpg

Sure Mattel will improve in 5 years......But so will Hot Toys! And yes Mattel is a bigger company with more money, but they sell products for children :duh Do you think Mattel would bother to develop translucent skin texture technology? Theres nothing compelling them to do that. Screen accuracy and likeness accuracy is not a priority for them. If anything, they'll figure out a way to make figures cheaper :lol. Hasbro has been making 1/6 figures for a longer time and they haven't attempted to do anything that rivals the quality Hot Toys puts into their products. They don't have to. These companies are not competing against each other and never will.

Honestly, for $60 figures I am very impressed. In some ways the stylized look works if you were cool with an animated vibe.

I think I maybe in for a set of these :rock

These are decent likenesses as cartoons. As real people, not so much. They do have the same attitude and vibe as the characters so that's something but HT quality these are not which should not be surprising. Did you really expect Mattel to rival them? Are they perfect or ideal, no, but for Mattel, they're not horrible.

These are decent likenesses as cartoons. As real people, not so much. They do have the same attitude and vibe as the characters so that's something but HT quality these are not which should not be surprising. Did you really expect Mattel to rival them? Are they perfect or ideal, no, but for Mattel, they're not horrible.

Who is comparing them to HT's? :confused: Are you just speaking in general?

Who is comparing them to HT's? :confused: Are you just speaking in general?

read post #71. There might be a HT figure posted there. ;)

My point being, Mattel is not really known for high end 1:6 figs, so having expectations that these were going to be perfect, HT level sculpts if you will, is a bit off. They're cartoony but you can certainly tell who they're supposed to be and they convey the character and that's at least something and elevates them from the 'looks nothing like them, piece of crap' category, imo.

How can someone compare these to HT? They are $100 cheaper.

yeah ithought the same thing. the so called ray sculpt is awful imo. i say 'so called ray' because im confused how there passing that off as dan aykroyd? it looks bugger all like him to me, i dntthink its jst the paint job, its the sculpt. spensers are FAR superior and we have only seen WIP versions ofhis!!

but yeah they look to cartoony, altho it is mattel so im not too suprised to be honest, id have only expected movie style likenesses is sideshow hot toys or even neca did them.

dude u got it all wrong, its Who ya gonna call?.............HOT TOYS :rock

This may be laughable but imo just the start of things to come. If you think companies like HT's and Medicom have great likeness and amazing licenses then (again imo) you haven't seen much.

Mattel is the biggest toy company in the world and I have no doubt their 12" product will only get better. This is a start to what I think will be cornering the 12" figure market. Their sculpts and paint apps will improve ............ they've already started selling in similar fashion online.

Mattel in 3-5 years will own the 12", 7" and "other" toy market. Companies like HT's, Medicom and EB will still be around but again not the major player.

Sideshow 5 years ago looked just like these GB's figures.

GhostbustersVenkmen.jpg

DSCN0340.jpg

Sure Mattel will improve in 5 years......But so will Hot Toys! And yes Mattel is a bigger company with more money, but they sell products for children :duh Do you think Mattel would bother to develop translucent skin texture technology? Theres nothing compelling them to do that. Screen accuracy and likeness accuracy is not a priority for them. If anything, they'll figure out a way to make figures cheaper :lol. Hasbro has been making 1/6 figures for a longer time and they haven't attempted to do anything that rivals the quality Hot Toys puts into their products. They don't have to. These companies are not competing against each other and never will.

Whatever guys. Maybe I'm crazy but aren't the posts above about the quality of the sculpts, gear and bodies and mentioning Hot Toys. I'm agreeing with those that there's something to be desired, but Mattel didn't do that bad a job. sheesh. :duh

I think the earlier reference to HT, is that with time Mattel could become a major player. They have the clout to make unexpected licenses (Ghostbusters and Reeve Superman) and I'm sure the could recruit major talent.

So while they are now on the low-end, I could see the possibility of them stepping up.

Whatever guys. Maybe I'm crazy but aren't the posts above about the quality of the sculpts, gear and bodies and mentioning Hot Toys. I'm agreeing with those that there's something to be desired, but Mattel didn't do that bad a job. sheesh. :duh

I didnt say mattel did that bad a job on them all, i jst think personaly the ray stanzt figure sculpt is bad. the outfit and accessories are really gud, so ill get them ,but i jst think the ray head is the worst out the 4. yes they are cartoony but again it is mattel, but i do like these! apart frm the odd few changes i like em.

ok seen as some of us like these sculpts and also love spensers, heres what id love to do to, feel free to call me crazy, but buy 3 each of the 12" figures, heres why:

set 1: keep a set boxed on display
set 2: display out of box with their original mattel head sculpts
set 3: display out of box with spensers head sculpts and kitbashed bodys, uniforms etc.

i knw it will cost afair amount, but with the 12" figs being release dates fairly spread apart i should be able to afford to order the 3 at a time. im crazy i knw but im asuper fan lol.

Back