NECA's RoboCop is (NOT) a total bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly would prefer NECA release the endoskeleton in the original silver paint. I don't know why they don't just do that and sell a ton.

Is the arm cannon on the Robo 3 removable? I wanted to buy it for the blue tint, but wasn't digging the gun arm...

Thanks for the Heads Up!

san-diego-comic-con-2014-neca-024.JPG

san-diego-comic-con-2014-neca-019.JPG

san-diego-comic-con-2014-neca-018.JPG

Those Robocop versus Terminator figures are cool I guess if you had a display environment like that^ The whole thing sells the idea of a 2D platform computer game brought to life. Without a diorama though, pointless junk IMO.

I dunno, I quite like those Endoskeletons even though they're not film accurate. They look really good.

That T-800 Arnold looks really cool too. At first I thought it was just a kitbash of preexisting Terminator figures (Tanker Truck and T2 Damaged), but that's an all new headsculpt. Reminds me of this,

Terminator%202%20-%20The%20Arcade%20Game_4.png

The POTA figures look pretty cool, I've never considered buying them myself though. At this point I don't want to add any more licenses that I collect from.

I've only got the very occasional 3 3/4'' Star Wars OT figures, the NECA Aliens line, got ED-209 this year and I've bought some Diamond Select StarTrek ships.

Low-end is winding down for me. When NECA finished with movie-based The Terminator/Terminator 2/Predator/Predator 2 stuff I was done with those. No further interest in NECA Robocop stuff unless maybe they do a battledamaged ED-209 and Peter Weller BD Robocop. So with NECA I'm totally limited to the Alien films now, films 1-3, nothing else exists as far as I'm concerned. There's very few Star Trek ships left that I'd buy so I'm happy there. I don't do superheroes outside of high end. And I have no plans to buy Star Wars figures from the new films.

The Planet of the Apes figures are fantastic. Best figures NECA have done. The QC is great and the paint work is solid.

I got NECA ED-209 but that was a while back. That's probably one of my favorite NECA figures, it's really good. The only Alien figures I committed to were the regular versions of Hudson and Hicks after looking for the ones with the best paint apps. I couldn't bring myself to any of the actual Alien figures. This might seem weird, but I'm going to probably stick with humans (and androids) only, the aliens are crap.

As far as 3 3/4" go, Hasbro has run them into the ground. They look awful. The last 3 3/4" from Hasbro that I got were these,

Imperial-03.jpg

Then obviously the 3 3/4" '89 Batman and Devito Penguin up there from the Multiverse line. The Batman Returns Penguin is superb, those are the only two I'm getting from that line. I always wanted "Star Wars style/sized" Batman movie figures.

^I don't have that set. One of few OT things that I've missed. One of these days I'll catch up on them, hopefully not at massive prices on ebay.

Its funny you should say how they've generally gone to $h!t, I was only saying in the Alien franchise thread yesterday that the Toryn (''stand by ion control...fire'') Farr figure I received was painted better than any NECA figure I've gotten other than maybe Dutch. But then another guy chimed in and said they're pretty hit & miss aswell, I may have just gotten lucky.

It's pretty cool that the Burton Batman's have been getting the attention that they have the past couple of years. Figures in all scales, who would have thought. Too late for 'child me' though. All I could find back then was Scuba Strike Batman with firing torpedo launchers and so on. ''Just give me a Batman who looks like m***er****ing Batman!!!!''

Did you get the 18" NECA '89 Batman?

I put him alongside the 18" Robocop that I got way back when.

Nah I resisted. Happy to keep the superheroes at 1:6. I don't think NECA paintjobs on human figures at 1:4 are a big enough step up in quality from the small figures. I know its only the lower face and the eyes on Batman but still, I don't see why I would just get Batman. Figured I might aswell not bother at all.

I don't see why I would just get Batman.

Why not? I did. I had no desire of "collecting them all". I could pass on Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and the others, but Keaton Batman? Hell no.

The sculpting is quite good, he goes well with the Robocop, the armor and accessories rival Hot Toys (dat foldable Batarang and grapple gun), and the way they made an actual cowl that fits over Bruce Wayne has never been done before. It's a pretty awesome piece and was cheap to boot.

What about Reeve Superman. I'd probably want him too but with the issue of joints combined with the lacklustre paintjob I can see him turning out awful.

Any one purchase into an area that I haven't gone before (I've gone 1:4 before but I've not gone outside the Aliens & Robots franchises) could lead to others - which is more money spent. Just the way my collector brain works. So I'm constantly combating that in the interests of, over time, reducing my list of must haves and saving more and more money.

Judging by NECA's MoS Superman, I have zero faith in their Reeve Superman.

But that has no barring on '89 Batman, a figure they did a fine, fine job on. I realized once I got rid of the "collector brain", I enjoyed this stuff a lot more. I'm not compelled to get them all, or buy every single look/option to fit some kind of goal anymore. If it's cool and from something I love, I'll get it.

I had some high-end 1/4 figures, but sold them (thankfully I got back what I paid on the Enterbay T-800, plus a little extra). The only three 18 inchers I have now are the original Endo, Robocop and the '89 Batman. For me, thankfully the theme doesn't have to be "Alien and Robots only" or "superheros only", but "childhood 80s films classics". Batman is a one and done too, which is nice. NECA ain't going to do Nicholson Joker, so there's no compulsion to have anyone but Keaton Batman for me.

Passing on that Penguin then? Risky choice for NECA I can't help but think. A repulsive looking character from a 1992 Batman film that has a lot of detractors.

I am pretty much going for the childhood classics thing with what I have, with what I'm thinking of buying (BTTF) and with what I would certainly buy if I bought BTTF - a good Indiana Jones if ever made, John McClane etc

Star Wars is a worry. What will I do when they start pumping out Han Solo, Princess Leia, Lando etc....and if the likenesses are actually good. Managed to resist DX-07 Bespin Luke but I think that was because I was already at capacity at the time, balls deep in my Terminator multiples purchasing...also I think a good Han Solo (OK and a naked Princess Leia) would be stronger temptations than a Luke figure to me.

Penguin is a maybe, I dunno. If the final product is as gross as that prototype, I don't think I'll be able to resist. That'll be especially true if he's packed with his baby umbrella.

Will it bug me that there's no Returns armor Batman for it? A little, yeah, but like I said, I'm done with the collector brain. For those 3 3/4 movie figures, I actually just bought '89 Batman and BR Penguin and passed on Reeve Supes, Zod, Keaton/Bruce unmasked chase variant and Catwoman because they looked like crap. Sure, the Batman and Penguin don't "go together", but they were the cream of the crop.

As for Star wars, I've resisted the 12" format easily enough so I shouldn't have much of a problem in the future. Bespin Luke is nice (and my favorite look for the character from my favorite film), but I still resisted. There's just TOO much Star Wars to even attempt to go that route. I'm happy with classic 3 3/4 figures (and a the most iconic vehicles) and a few 6" figures here and there. Terminator, Burton Batman and Robocop are easier to collect among all the different scales because there isn't a lot to choose from and when something does come out, it's special because it's a rare occurrence. Star Wars is over-saturated. I won't be getting any Episode 7 crap, even if I end up loving those movies.

Back to NECA Robocop, surely if Hot Toys can get an unmasked Peter Weller Murphy Robo out there, NECA can too? Hot Toys and NECA always seem to be on the same page, especially since 2009 when NECA was the first to unveil official Arnold Terminator figs with his likeness and Hot Toys soon followed suite. I thought Weaver lent her likeness to NECA exclusively (that's how they made it sound), but Hot Toys jumped in on that too. I don't see why NECA couldn't make an unmasked Robo, right? I know NECA said they couldn't get Jack Nicholson's license because the price range was too much for them, but surely Weller ain't no Nicholson?

Back