NECA - Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the heads of the gorillas are easily removable? If they are will all be able to have four different conquest gorillas and four different solder apes. I am all for a huge army.

Bought another Gorilla Soldier today, now my third, and that's before I've even gotten hold of the infantry two-pack! these are really becoming a monkey on my back! (pun intended!)

I recently had a thought.... In case we don't get Taylor, (and I'm really, REALLY hoping either I'm wrong, or they're bluffing).... Given that the headsculpt on the Mego-style figure is so good.... I wonder if it might be possible to cast and reduce that to 7" scale? It'll be hell to find a body for it, but having the head would be three quarters of the battle..........

I wonder what people who know more about the whole casting process might think.......

Bought another Gorilla Soldier today, now my third, and that's before I've even gotten hold of the infantry two-pack! these are really becoming a monkey on my back! (pun intended!)

I recently had a thought.... In case we don't get Taylor, (and I'm really, REALLY hoping either I'm wrong, or they're bluffing).... Given that the headsculpt on the Mego-style figure is so good.... I wonder if it might be possible to cast and reduce that to 7" scale? It'll be hell to find a body for it, but having the head would be three quarters of the battle..........

I wonder what people who know more about the whole casting process might think.......

I was thinking of the exact same thing. I haven't been able to find Taylor yet, but I wanted to compare his head to the 7" line and try and find a good body to use.it won't make sense if they don't come out with nova and Taylor since they are key characters in the film. But seems like Neca is doing more with this line then people imagined. Makeing 8 inch classic mego line, and the lawgiver statue was a total curve ball to me. As long as a lot of people buy and show interest in this line I'm sure Neca won't stop until a decline in sales and no interest.

My latest. Zaius rework. And pouches to make bandoliers with for the gorilla 2 pack TRU exclusive.

Personally I was not impressed with Zaius 2.0. As a result I had to pass. At the prices NECA figures are going for I couldn’t drop $25 on something I did not like. However the other two in series two are outstanding!!!

Personally I was not impressed with Zaius 2.0. As a result I had to pass. At the prices NECA figures are going for I couldn’t drop $25 on something I did not like. However the other two in series two are outstanding!!!

I feel like the sculpt is there w/Zaius version 2, but all the ones I've seen on the pegs have really bad paint jobs. Looks like the paint for the hair doesn't come up to the outline of the face. :(

My latest. Zaius rework. And pouches to make bandoliers with for the gorilla 2 pack TRU exclusive.

Nice Jessica, will you be making any for sale?

I got my 8" Taylor today, I think he looks very cool., al to better in hand. I am also happy that he arrived with all limbs in tact.

Nice job. Any chance you could tell us how you made the bandoliers. I would love to do the same thing.

I was thinking of the exact same thing. I haven't been able to find Taylor yet, but I wanted to compare his head to the 7" line and try and find a good body to use.it won't make sense if they don't come out with nova and Taylor since they are key characters in the film. But seems like Neca is doing more with this line then people imagined. Makeing 8 inch classic mego line, and the lawgiver statue was a total curve ball to me. As long as a lot of people buy and show interest in this line I'm sure Neca won't stop until a decline in sales and no interest.

I am happy with whatever Neca decides to do with the classic line. At this point I think Neca tested the waters first with the 8" Taylor figure, maybe if sales are good they will proceed with a 7" version? Probably too early on there end to tell yet though.? Julius in Series 3 is a real welcome surprise, kind of surprised with that choice but very happy never the less. Just hope it sells well. There is a lot of 7" figures that could pass off as ape captives, Art Asylum's Star Trek line, astronaut from Tim Burton movie, Neca's Alien line, just to name a few. I say bring on all the different ape variants they want to offer and worry about the humans later..

At this point I think Neca tested the waters first with the 8" Taylor figure, maybe if sales are good they will proceed with a 7" version?

I don't think that NECA were "testing the waters" when they released the 8" Mego-style Taylor. I believe that they simply wanted to offer a unique piece to christen this new line... a figure that they have yet to produce for their other line.

I have no doubt we will get a Taylor in their ever growing classic 7" line. I just hope that it's the caged version of Taylor. He would go well with what has been already released.

There is something off with Zaius version 2. Haven't figured it out though.

I agree. However, the more I look at the the first Zaius, the less I like it. Those bangs really throw it off! If I had top choose, I think I favor the second version... by just a hair.

I really want them to knock the next Zaius sculpt out of the ball park. But with what figure? The 7" Zaius from Beneath? The 8" Mego-style Zaius? Or a 1/4 scale Zaius?

I'm pulling for the latter.

BTW... Your Zaius head looks GREAT, Jess!

Last edited:
I made a mold of the bandolier pouches and poured liquid plastic. All you need to do is paint it and glue it down onto thin leather strip to make bandoliers.
Send me an email to j e s s i c a r o t i c h (at) g ma i l dot com

Not sure if I should list prices. $1.50 first pair includes postage. $1.00 each additional pair. Zaius cast undrilled unpainted $10

currently have unpainted casts of modified Zira too. I softened her features and lessened her brows and of course reworked that awful hair. Because the original Zira headsculpt is honkingly huge huge I shrank the sculpt a bit.

I also softened Cornelius features so he doesn't look so pissed off. Need to enlarge his headsculpt a little to get it to the right size. I think he is pea-headed.

Last edited:
Hey jess your bandolier pouches are awesome I might have to pick some up, cause I'm actually in the process of making some as well for my army. I'm using hemp leather cord for making jewelry however they are smaller compared to the Neca ones. My only dilemma is I couldn't find a piece for the bottom to hood the club! What are you using or have you made a custom cast. Also if so will you be making extra of those for sale?

I will need to see if I can make that hook. Will make a cast of it and try.

Here is my Zaius.

Last edited:
Look at the NECA Zira that I reworked (the scale has not changed). Look how big it is...sits perfectly on a Mego Zira body.

Perhaps the hook, from a standard haberdashery 'hook and eye' set..... they are often silver coloured so would have to be dulled down, but thet would be pretty much perfect.

Back