NECA - Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. However, the more I look at the the first Zaius, the less I like it. Those bangs really throw it off! If I had top choose, I think I favor the second version... by just a hair.

I really want them to knock the next Zaius sculpt out of the ball park. But with what figure? The 7" Zaius from Beneath? The 8" Mego-style Zaius? Or a 1/4 scale Zaius?

I'm pulling for the latter.

BTW... Your Zaius head looks GREAT, Jess!

Why is it always Dr Zaius?

I don't think i've ever seen a figure based on any of the other orangutangs in the planet series, like the other two in your signature still from 'Planet' or Virgil or the John Huston lawgiver from 'Battle'. At least there are always a variety of chimpanzee and gorilla characters from the various figures that have been produced over the years.
I've got figures from the Medicom, Neca classic clothed 12" and the recent Neca range and am getting a bit tired of just seeing Dr Zaius (and the Lawgiver statue) as the only orangutang character and now two variants at that! Why not do one and one of the other characters in series 2?

Hey guys here's a few photos of my custom bandoliers. I used leather hemp cord for the strap and part of the pouches. Then I used strip styrene that I cut down to make the little pouches which I painted. Then I drilled a small hole and stuck in little round brads that I painted black. Then I found the hooks which ate for making jewelry which I cut down and sprayed primer black paint. Then super glued everything and here they are

Why is it always Dr Zaius?

I dunno... cuz is he awesome?

I would LOVE to see more orangutans in the NECA line but they seem to be MORE interested in making every known gorilla in the series.

Nobody... I mean NOBODY has ever made a figure/collectible of my second favorite orangutan... Virgil!

Wonderful bandolier Matt!

I sculpted a 1:6 scale Virgil many years ago and it looks like a turd so I am reworking the sculpt. Have to dig around some good reference photos.

Put this together last night... An homage to the original MEGO Apes commercial, re-done with NECA stuff. :)

Sallah

Thanks Jessica.

Wow Matt, your bandolier look great. Did you also redo the straps on the backpack? The color matches exactly.

Does anyone have an idea on when series 3 comes out? I plan on buying a case, I know the Gorilla in red jumpsuit is going to be very popular.

I bought the Dawn figures for the kids and I can say that the POTA original have a lot more points of articulation. We are getting much love from Neca with this line.

Sallah, I loved your video, great job!!!

Thanks Jessica.

Wow Matt, your bandolier look great. Did you also redo the straps on the backpack? The color matches exactly.

Does anyone have an idea on when series 3 comes out? I plan on buying a case, I know the Gorilla in red jumpsuit is going to be very popular.

I bought the Dawn figures for the kids and I can say that the POTA original have a lot more points of articulation. We are getting much love from Neca with this line.

Sallah, I loved your video, great job!!!

Thanks stickman, and actually I did not replace the backpack straps, the bandolier is a tad bit darker in better light, but pretty much the same color. Also awesome VID shallah.

Hey guys I wanted to show a ruff picture bad quality sorry, this is my big project! I'm sure you guys can see what it is, an ATOMIC BOMB! Anyways this picture is a little older it's a bot more complete then this.might show some more pictures of the construction, but rest assure when I'm finished I will take well lighted high res pics.For this project I have used polystyrene foam which you can buy a whole sheet at home depot for 24 bucks.I then bought cans of Great stuff spray foam which I also used to spray in the cracks of the foam and to also Give that Rocky bombed out look. Also used plaster,paints and glue etc. The pillars I bought at petsmart in the fish section for fish tanks! These are beautiful piece I recommend you guys check them out, the figures standing next to them give a great apocalyptic look. Anyways here's the picture so far...I will post more with in the week to come.

That is so awesome, brilliant idea! Cant wait to see your completed project. Is the bomb to scale though?

Matt, Awesome job! I also look forward to seeing the finished project. Great shot. I was once going to do a star Trek, POTA, and Roman crossover, but this is as far as I got. Here is a link to an old vid I did, it includes my old version of the Doomsday Bomb. I was never able to give the base the trim that it had. Matt, I see that you did it for your bomb. I'm really liking this scale, it allows the ability to integrate many other items like those roman columns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmZIz6NAOic

Wonderful video. And wow awesome diorama!

I adjusted and am in the middle of increasing Cornelius's headsculpt so he will not be as pin-headed. I think NECA did such a great job on these apes. The scale is just awesome. I wish that they were more articulated though...but I am so happy they are being produced.

If anybody was curious this is the ball joint of the NECA Zaius.

Thanks everyone for the comments! Amazing video stickman I loved it! Also again nice sculpt Jessica. Well I took some more pictures. So the grand staircase in the main photo I posted has been ripped out. I did this because I'm putting a light sysm inside the cave and the dooms day mechanism which ill show a picture of. First off here's the left side, at the tall pillar is where Taylor is shot and comes falling down the steps.
Next is Brents vantage point the origin. I still need to carve the foam a bit and put a little plaster down right here
Here is the top platform where the BOMB will be. I've started painting a primier coat.
Next here is the A-BOMB mechanism. How I made this? Lego pieces. Lego makes jewel pieces as well as this clear tubing. The lights sit in the bottom and will light the device up when displayed.
And lastly a better look at the scale of the BOMB. This may replaced with another design not sure as for now it will be used. Still the the Greek A and O on the fin. The rocket was made with a 14 dollar mode rocket kit. The bottom I used strip styrene at the bottom and for the thruster at the bottom I glued a poweraide and dasni bottle cap.

Looking great Matt, the light up console will really add to this already awesome diorama. Looking forward to seeing more pictures! Using bottle caps for the bottom of the bomb looks great. Would be cool to see a picture of the gorillas climbing it and bringing it down.

Jessica, are all of the apes neck posts the same? Do you think it possible that the gorilla heads are interchangeable?

I will get back to you on that, Sticks. I have in house the TRU 2-pack. And I just popped off Cornelius's headsculpt....but not the ball joint in there. Didn't have time.

I am happy with whatever Neca decides to do with the classic line. At this point I think Neca tested the waters first with the 8" Taylor figure, maybe if sales are good they will proceed with a 7" version? Probably too early on there end to tell yet though.? Julius in Series 3 is a real welcome surprise, kind of surprised with that choice but very happy never the less. Just hope it sells well. There is a lot of 7" figures that could pass off as ape captives, Art Asylum's Star Trek line, astronaut from Tim Burton movie, Neca's Alien line, just to name a few. I say bring on all the different ape variants they want to offer and worry about the humans later..

That's crazy to think they were "testing the waters" on whether to do a Taylor in this line based on the sales of the Mego-Like Taylor. The costume on that one was absolutely pathetic with all of that ridiculous black stitching. I passed right on by that mess. I can't believe there's even talk of not including a Taylor figure in any POTA line.

I made a mold of the original and poured an expanding silicone cast. Grew the cast in water for a bit--it enlarged so warped that I had to let it shrink down in size. When it was the right size for me, I made another mold of that and poured a wax cast. I worked on the wax cast as best as I could, and this is how it looks. Needs some cleaning with alcohol and a paint brush...but tomorrow I will make a mold of this and pour a wax cast to make sure the mold is a good mold (no air bubbles and stuff), and then I will pour a resin cast. If I ever tear up my mold, I can make another using my resin cast.

Back