NECA Back to the Future

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I’ve got space for only one more Marty and this ain’t it. At least they haven’t done rainbow Marty’s yet, like they did with the xenomorph.

BttF_VisualChecklist_2021_Marty_Audition.jpg

BttF_VisualChecklist_2021_Final.jpg

I will probably get this one. I like the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The peg on one of the arms on my 1985 Marty broke above the double joint. In hindsight I wish I had dipped the figure in warm water before moving the joints (something I'll be doing on all future NECA purchases). Does anyone know how I can fix this without losing movability? Insert a needle pin or something?

^ I don't have any tips, but I did want to share that the same thing happened to my Biff figure (right arm above the double joint). I heated it up with a hair dryer first, but that wasn't a solution here. It bent at the elbow with little resistance, then the forearm just fell off. I didn't even feel a snap, it literally just dropped into my hand. NECA desperately needs to improve their quality control. It's like the fiasco with the arms and legs falling off their Christopher Reeve Superman figures all over again.

BTW, I've read multiple complaints of arm breakage on the new Ultimate Ghostface figure as well. I assume all these brittle joints must be coming out of the same factory.

Yikes! Necas quality control has always been rough. Reminds me of a broken leg Dutch and injection mould short shot on a TMNT Ralph I got awhile back.

This has me afraid to even attempt posing my Biff and Marty. Im really debating if I should just leave mine in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While NECA has figures with problems make it to store shelves like any product, I don't think a few reports of issues are cause to assume yours shouldn't be touched. I got my '85 Marty a few weeks ago and posed him quite a bit without any issues. If you buy the figure to take it out and pose, then do it and just know NECA can be fragile and handle with care. I haven't had issues with any of my NECA figures since around 2010, and back then they were know to have really fragile plastics in their figures, despite being less articulated. I learned my lesson and handle with care now. Not like you have to barely touch them, you just can't pose them around like you were a kid playing with a Hasbro figure.

I'm always careful to never force a frozen joint. I almost suspect Biff's arm was broken during assembly and the paint over the hinge was the only thing still holding it in place. I have well over a hundred NECA figures and this was the first bit of joint breakage I've encountered (other than Superman, where the leg was already broken off in the package).

I've had a ton of other problems with their figures (at least a 30% defect rate), but an arm that fell off from just bending the elbow wasn't on the list before now. One thing I always make sure to do is buy from a seller with an easy return policy. It's not too much to ask for a figure to have no glaring paint flaws, missing pieces or loose joints -- yet I've had more than my fair share. I still put up with it because they're the only game in town when it comes to certain licenses and their products do look good on the shelf. When I do get a good NECA figure, I just put it in a nice museum pose and leave it there. Once it's outside the return window, I'm afraid to even move it. :lol

This is an amazing sculpt in person. (I tried twice to get the pics the right way)
bttfdoc2.jpgbttfdoc3.jpg

Doc looks a lot better than Marty. I only have the radiation suit version of Marty so far. Maybe I’ll get the others eventually.

Doc's face lends itself to toy form, it's animated and cartoony, where Marty isn't, so in a 7" toy form, Marty doesn't translate as well. I also think older and rougher faces lend better in this scale. Someone like Arnold with rigid features or someone looking older like Christopher Lloyd translate better than a soft face like Michael J. Fox.

The raw sculpts for Marty look great, I just think it's the level of paint you can get on a figure like this.

Glad Doc looks great. I just opened my regular Marty and Biff, and yeah, sculpt is OK at best on Marty. On both of them, why the rosy cheeks paint job? It's just awful. And Biff looks absolutely gigantic to Marty, I know he's a lot taller but it looks a bit off right next to each other. I'm kind of disappointed, but I guess it's all we got.

Glad Doc looks great. I just opened my regular Marty and Biff, and yeah, sculpt is OK at best on Marty. On both of them, why the rosy cheeks paint job? It's just awful. And Biff looks absolutely gigantic to Marty, I know he's a lot taller but it looks a bit off right next to each other. I'm kind of disappointed, but I guess it's all we got.

Yeah the rosy cheeks and the shadows under the eyes are weird choices. The sculpt is weirdly asymmetrical on my BTTFII Marty wearing the cap. Like his eyes and eyebrows are off-centre from his nose and mouth - shunted to one side.

If the scaling between Marty and Biff is also wrong that's not surprising as it seems to be the way NECA is rolling lately. Love their lines but they're not without some annoying screw ups.

Doc is absolutely beautiful. One of the best Neca has ever done.

I almost never buy doubles, but i'm getting 2 of these to display both head sculpts.

Man.... i wouldn't mind picking up a 12 or 18" version of that any time !

Just got my second Marty and Biff to open.

The Marty sculpts are what they are but the rest of the figure is wonderfully detailed and the outfit is iconic so it stands out as instantly recognizable.

The Biff figure is terrific, both sculpts are pretty damn good. And Biff in this outfit is almost iconic in his own right. However, I can't escape the feeling previously shared by others that he's a bit too on the large side. NECA have upscaled their figures lately - they didn't announce any such change but it's been happening. Parker and Brett in the Alien line ended up noticeably larger than they ought to be compared to previous figures in the line such as Ripley and the spacesuit characters. They're in proportion to themselves but too big overall. Wish they could pick a size and stick to it.

Anyway, still hoping they get to make more for the line. Marty and Doc variants, Old Man Biff, Griff, Lorraine and Jennifer. A 1:10 Delorean wouldn't go amiss either....

Last edited:
Just got my second Marty and Biff to open.

The Marty sculpts are what they are but the rest of the figure is wonderfully detailed and the outfit is iconic so it stands out as instantly recognizable.

The Biff figure is terrific, both sculpts are pretty damn good. And Biff in this outfit is almost iconic in his own right. However, I can't escape the feeling previously shared by others that he's a bit too on the large side. NECA have upscaled their figures lately - they didn't announce any such change but it's been happening. Parker and Brett in the Alien line ended up noticeably larger than they ought to be compared to previous figures in the line such as Ripley and the spacesuit characters. In proportion to themselves but too big overall. Wish they could pick a size and stick to it.

Anyway, still hoping they get to make more for the line. Marty and Doc variants, Old Man Biff, Griff, Lorraine and Jennifer. A 1:10 Delorean wouldn't go amiss either....

UXr8dvnl.jpg

QgpBzxMl.jpg

Totally agree, I looked it up and there is a 10" difference in height between the two, but this looks semi-ridiculous. He's huge.

Back