NECA Back to the Future

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No surprise at all that Crispin Glover won’t sign over his likeness rights. He still holds a grudge over what happened with the second film. I get it from his perspective, but he really has drug it on for a long time.

No surprise at all that Crispin Glover won?t sign over his likeness rights. He still holds a grudge over what happened with the second film. I get it from his perspective, but he really has drug it on for a long time.

At this point it seems less a grudge from the second film and more that he thinks Bob Gale talks crap about him anytime he talks about the movies.

No surprise at all that Crispin Glover won’t sign over his likeness rights. He still holds a grudge over what happened with the second film. I get it from his perspective, but he really has drug it on for a long time.

I don't think its just the fact that they used his likeness. The only reason he wasn't in the second film in the first place is because negotiations broke down after he wanted a salary comparable to what they were paying Lea Thompson and Thomas F. Wilson, which the producers refused because he wasn't as famous as them.

Apparently he also had a few moments of difficulty during the first movie. He's a guy that likes a lot of creative input on the characters he plays, and when the filmmakers refused some of his ideas he got a bit testy.

I don't think its just the fact that they used his likeness. The only reason he wasn't in the second film in the first place is because negotiations broke down after he wanted a salary comparable to what they were paying Lea Thompson and Thomas F. Wilson, which the producers refused because he wasn't as famous as them.

Apparently he also had a few moments of difficulty during the first movie. He's a guy that likes a lot of creative input on the characters he plays, and when the filmmakers refused some of his ideas he got a bit testy.

This is a clip from a pretty good interview he did years ago and he kind of goes into his difference of ideas with Bob Gale, mostly for the ending. Basically that the end of the movie showed money as the reward instead of love. He also alludes to a different ending of the original script and that Biff wasn't the 'servant' as he put it. He barely alludes to it what it was, but a host reacted to how he said servant. I remember discussing online about this at the time and people thought he that what he was alluding to was that Goldie Wilson (pretty much the only black character besides the band) was going to be the guy waxing the car, and the he's not mayor anymore. And Since Hill Valley was nicer now, it's implying that Wilson was the cause of Hill Valley going downhill over the years. I know that's quite the stretch from what he said lol, but with all the time in the world to speculate it seems kind of possible. The full interview is about an hour long and worth listening to if you're interested in the guy.

Crispin Glover is pretty much the reason we have likeness rights as they are now.

Dude was revolutionary. I don't blame him in the slightest for protecting his (and every actor's) rights.

It's no surprise at all he doesn't want to be an action figure. He probably hates the idea of action figures in the first place, he didn't like the ending of BTTF because it implied "money = happiness".

Never quite understood Glover's stance on the ending of BTTF. To me the main take away was George's new sense of confidence and belief in himself lead to a better life for the whole family. Yes, more money was part of that, but it was a by-product of both George and Lorraine being happy with themselves and each other that lead them to make better decisions and just be better overall people. I could see if they were in a huge mansion and really seemed to be flaunting their wealth, but really the only thing that was different materially was they had some nicer clothes and furniture. Marty also has a truck now, but that seemed to be less about wealth and more about the fact he was going to be able to take Jennifer up to the lake, now.

Yeah, to me the ending didn’t really seem like the McFly family was really flaunting their wealth or anything. They basically seemed like they went from lower middle class to slightly upper class. I don’t think they became crazy rich or something.

As far as Biff he wasn’t their servant. He just happened to have a business that George and Lorraine apparently used, which all things considered is more than he deserved considering what he did to both of them in the past.

Never quite understood Glover's stance on the ending of BTTF. To me the main take away was George's new sense of confidence and belief in himself lead to a better life for the whole family. Yes, more money was part of that, but it was a by-product of both George and Lorraine being happy with themselves and each other that lead them to make better decisions and just be better overall people. I could see if they were in a huge mansion and really seemed to be flaunting their wealth, but really the only thing that was different materially was they had some nicer clothes and furniture. Marty also has a truck now, but that seemed to be less about wealth and more about the fact he was going to be able to take Jennifer up to the lake, now.

That's true, but a truck like that given to a high school kid is a pretty huge expense. But otherwise I agree in that they kept the house the same. But I think that had to be done for the reveal of their new selves. Otherwise it would've been like in BttF2 with him breaking into someone else's house lol.

That's true, but a truck like that given to a high school kid is a pretty huge expense. But otherwise I agree in that they kept the house the same. But I think that had to be done for the reveal of their new selves. Otherwise it would've been like in BttF2 with him breaking into someone else's house lol.

To be fair we don't know how he got that car in this revised timeline. Maybe Marty has a job.

I think Glover overanalyzed the ending a bit. I always took it as George stood up to the bully giving him confidence from that day on and that confidence carried over into other aspects of his life, for example in his job, book writing, raising his kids, etc. I never once took "wealth" as the happy ending to that story. Maybe they financed that truck at a crappy APR, we don't know lol. I can see maybe the rubbing Biff's nose it in angle but Biff owns a car detailing business and he didn't have to accept the job.

The irony of all this, of course, is that the Marty likeness isn't even that good, so it seems like NECA could just use a non-likeness head for George and it wouldn't be all that different.

Though ethically, considering Crispin Glover's stance, it probably wouldn't be the coolest thing to do.

I think Glover overanalyzed the ending a bit. I always took it as George stood up to the bully giving him confidence from that day on and that confidence carried over into other aspects of his life, for example in his job, book writing, raising his kids, etc. I never once took "wealth" as the happy ending to that story. Maybe they financed that truck at a crappy APR, we don't know lol. I can see maybe the rubbing Biff's nose it in angle but Biff owns a car detailing business and he didn't have to accept the job.
Yep, I think you’re exactly right. That day when George finally stood up to Biff and got together with Lorraine it gave him the confidence to be more successful overall in life. Before he was just a slacker for lack of a better word who was seemingly just skidding by and only got lucky with Lorraine out of happenstance of getting hit by her dad’s car.

Can't they just pay homage to Back to the Future 2 and just steal his likeness for old times sake?

Perfect. :lol

u8YrJ5Q.jpg

But seriously, that’s too bad we won't get a figure of George. :( Fingers crossed we'll get Lorraine though.

Last edited:
I don't know how necessary Lorraine is if we can't get George. I'd buy her if made but my worry is the more of the primary cast you can get - while one of them is always going to be out of reach - the more frustrating that becomes.

So in a way I feel like we might be better off they just stick with Marty, Doc and Biff variants....and a 1/10 scale Delorean.

Yeah variants of those 3 are all I expect now, but I'd be happy if they went deep and did everything. What about Jennifer? I assume they'd do Elizabeth Shoe, but who knows I guess.

All you need from a BTTF action figure line is Marty, Doc, and a Delorean.

Oh and the wallet guy from BTTF Part II. No collection can be complete without that guy!

^:lol

Yeah variants of those 3 are all I expect now, but I'd be happy if they went deep and did everything. What about Jennifer? I assume they'd do Elizabeth Shoe, but who knows I guess.

I thought of Jennifer but she'd have to be filed alongside Lorraine in a situation where you can never have a George McFly.

So again, I'd buy if made but I'm not going to be on NECA's case on twitter about her.

Back