NECA 1/4 scale predator

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tankman, accuracy is such and ambiguous word and you seem to be so self assured that what you're claiming to have made is the best of the best but it's not. It doesn't convey any of the onscreen presence of the predator from the movie. Thos standard neca bowed legs and all. nothings changed. Your sculpt looks lifeless and kind of dead when you look at it objectively and thats far away from being the best as far as Im concerned and thats the whole point of your posts telling us just how great you think it is but what else are you going to say when youre trying to sell them and give yourself more work. IF YOU ARE WHO YOU SAY YOU ARE. The photos only come out after they started showing up in stores. AFTER.

No the slope on the head is too much and the amour looks wrong straight away I picked up on the missing details on the amour and the lack of texturing that was in the movie. the sculpt seems to be too heavily reliant on photos of pre production versions that were never used for filming and that makes what you are saying laughable. Stan Winston wouldn't say that it's THE BEST sculpt out there because it so obviously isnt. It a fair representation but that about the same as all the rest can claim with McFarlane being the exception.

The netting the mask and the horrible cut joints and lack of articulation just show that neca didnt really care enough to do things right and now its up to fans with the skills to try make it look as good as it can. And you guys are trying to rip people off by putting out 3 different sculpts to get more deniro from us but I think its going to fail because the second and third wave will come out and with varying degrees of quality and they will be warming shelves and available for half the price or less just like all the 19"ers we have seen from neca before.

And the whole good for the money argument shows us just how much neca doesnt care because they could have charged 150 and made the paint sculpt and articulation so much better but you know that neca has a bad name with quality control and that nobody but the low end market cares and neca is just a stepping stone to the real quality stuff. I used to love neca stuff until I got bitten once to many times to take any claims from them seriously. Sooner or later we will start hearing all the horror story's about broken parts and bad paint and people justifying it all because they only cost 80 bucks each blah blah blah.

Nope this is just another example of neca grabbing cash and putting out a b-c grade product when things could have been so much better. I mean the wrist computer doesnt even open and thats such a basic thing and would have only added a few cents to the final cost of each to do but its profit before principals. And the paint just makes it all look like a plastic and cheap. Why not use some material for the groin cloth and add some spines to the face? Its so big and such a visible emission that it just makes me laugh when you say how great it is compared with all the rest.

You arent getting more of my money after all this when everything could have been fixed from the start but its too late now even though everyone said what needed to be fixed and none of it was and it would have been so easily done at the factory but again its a case of money taking first place and keeping quality at a minimum to maximize profits. Its a sad day for Predator fans really because it could and should have been so much better. The unmasked versions should have come with a mask even though it couldn't be worn but it would have been cool to display it with it in their hands or at the feet or something.

And even the masked version has a giant gap that isn't going to be as easy to fix as you suggested. not everyone has the skills to modify stuff like that most dont. That was a huge omission and there is no excuse for that AT ALL. And I only count about 20 unique people in this thread saying how much they like it on a forum of 12k so it's hardly a reason to be gloating about peoples reactions. Sideshow doesnt even sell neca so it shows a great deal of arrogance even being on this forum when you are a competitor and it says more about Sideshow being fair minded even allowing neca to be discussed here.

I waited a long time to see final shots and I had a suspicion base don necas past that things would have changed much despite the old new factory card you guys are famous for playing and I cant say that Im really disappointed after seeing them in person that things turned out the way they did because that how neca has always rolled. Im beyond disappointed because I prepared my self for this ____ from the start as soon as I heard the announcement. I was hoping that things would have changed but its still the same old neca stunts. You cant say its right when out of the box so many things are so obviously wrong.

Everything people wanted changed neca didnt do for the lamest or reasons and then says we are all about the fans. That just a load of BS. Its not the 80s and neca makes stuff like it still is but charges so much more. It could have been the best but that just a dream now and whats done is done. Make me angry when everyone gave so much input that was all ignored for the sake of profit.

Kyle - any inside info on Rambo? Looking forward to it, hope you guys do Rocky too.

I started it but had to put it aside for now. I hope to get back to it in 3 weeks or so. I'm hoping to do some cool articulation with them. 2 and 3 seem like the lower half might be easier because of the pants he has on in those two movies.

You guys can be sarcastic and neca fanboys all you want towards me but that doesn't change the facts one little bit. Neca screwed us again and that huge gap in the mask just adds insult to injury and thats not good enough in my opinion. Not good enough at all and you guys drink it up like it coke when it's mountain dew, its not even Pepsi. The netting looks terrible because it the wrong shape and part sculpted and part cheap fruit bag and takes away a major part of what it could have been.

It bad enough that the alleged sculptor is in this thread stirring up hate with his comments about everything else being inferior to his perfect creation and gloating about his quality compared to them but that is so obviously not true. Its just laughably delusional. The horrible joints that only allow for the predator to stand with it bowed legs that look nothing like the way the predator in the movie gracefully moved just limits the possibilities for even basic dynamic poses. You are pretty much limited to having three lumber 19" figures all standing around with different arm positions and the right arm cant even make its way over to touch the wrist computer.

Thigh cut joints look terrible if you rotate them. It just looks cheap and wrong even though they only cost 80 each but who cares how much they cost when they are basically just a statue with useless joints. People are already saying these things are top heavy and prone to falling because neca did the same old and used the horrible joins for the feet. And if you rotate them the figure has even less stability. No neca hasnt learned a thing from the past and just stuck to what they know best how to pump out mediocre stuff that only really appeals to kids that havent got any experience yet but when those kids get older they will realize that neca just ripped them off and gave them stuff that other companies could do better in the 80s without all the ugly seams and joints.

And what about the ugly seam on the bio? Tankman made it seem like it was just a mtter of splitting a joint and repositionin the mask with some crazy glue but it not as simple as that at all so that makes me even more suspiciouse about him being who he says he is. And nobody can tell me that it would have been impossible for neca to include an extra mask that would only cost a few cents to make with the unmasked version for display. Having the masks with the other figure even though they cant be used on them would have been a smart move but its all about the cash for neca. Neca loves their fans alright their cash that is.

I wanted this predator to finally show everyone that ever thought bad things about necas work that things were changing and a new era for neca had begun but it hasnt. Its more of the same old rubbish from neca. The same old stories about them using different factories and better paint so at the end of the day they can just bale them for screwing things up. but did the factory decide what joints to give the figure? NO. Did they decide the quality of the paint and detail? NO. Did they decide to go with the atrocious half sculpted have fruit bad netting thats wrong? No.

It was all necas fault because they said they only wanted to spend 8-9 bucks per figure so they could maximize their profit and screw the fans. Spending 1-2 dollars extra per per predator at the factory level would have made a VAST improvement and rectified all the problems and probably even given the predator a whole new set of less visible joints that don't have to be lined up to hide all the seams. The profile of the thigh joints always looks terrible and really hinders posing because if you rotate the legs all you can see is the ugly joints. One of the worst things about it all is that in one photo of a studio you can see all the other companies predators in the background and they still couldnt get things as basic as working useful joint correct.

All that just takes away from the quality of the piece. Its makes everything about it looks cheap. And as for the sculpt it looks alright in some positions but only has a basic resemblance to the predators feature from the side and back in profile. Its as if the head was sculpted in the wrong aspect ratio from the movie and photos and that has translated into distorted features. Neca isnt giving the fans what it claims to be giving us it actually trying to pass off a B-C grade sculpt and because some fanboys in this thread are heaping praise on them they will give you more of the same with the others they might be planning to do.

Neca has had way to may get out of jail free cards and people dont learn and are blind to what they do. Surely it must be because every few years a new group of kids come along all wide eyed and bushy tailed thinking they know it all and neca just sells them garbage that falls apart with the caveat that Hey what are you worried about it only cost you XX. And then that generation moves on to real high end collectables and 1/6 from real companies like Sideshow that do care a lot more about what they put out.

There isnt a person in this thread that would have paid 20 bucks or even more to have eveything done right but it too late now and any future release will just be more of the same. Neca saying its all about the fans of the franchises is just a laugh for me these days. I used to believe the hype untill I started seeing a patern of lies and terrible quality with nobody at neca takijng the blame but just blaiming it all of the factory. Another golden oportunity for neca to rise out of the ashes andmake its fans truely happy. It all just shows that neca doesnt really iunderstand the passion and love that predator fans have for the movie. Kids will be happy with it but the more mature collectors know theyve been screwed out of something great once again. No surprise really based on necas past. Its all just such a shame that neca doesnt listen to the real fans.

Big o' wall of what

1302119314431.gif

I started it but had to put it aside for now. I hope to get back to it in 3 weeks or so. I'm hoping to do some cool articulation with them. 2 and 3 seem like the lower half might be easier because of the pants he has on in those two movies.

I'm glad you're doing the sculpting. Can't wait to see them lined up at TF. Hope you get around to an M65 jacket version from the start of First Blood.

Ugh, these guys are shelf divers. It took out my Lone Wolf and Cub, Hot Toys Predator 1 and Battle Damaged Predator 2. Luckily, nothing broke.

I'm starting to get a little frustrated with them. The joints suck. The ankles are extremely weak. On a 6 pound figure, the ankle joints should be much sturdier. They are LOOSE.

It's pretty hard to get a good pose because of how the legs are constructed. Line them up good to have him stand and not tip over, and it looks like he's sticking his belly out. Not to mention that it is extremely difficult to adjust the legs. Add that to the fact that the netting is pretty cheap and flimsy, and soon you'll have tears in the netting like I do. Also, the arms constantly pop out of the shoulders.

Sorry guys, but Hot Toys are still the king.

:mad:

I'm glad you're doing the sculpting. Can't wait to see them lined up at TF. Hope you get around to an M65 jacket version from the start of First Blood.

Isn't the same one the Terminator has in T1? It's been a real bast doing all this 80ies stuff. Is it me or did the 80ies flat out rule? We got the T1 test shots in by the way and I think you'll be very happy with them. I can't wait to see more fan pics of the Predator coming in the next few weeks.

I hear the posts about the Preds falling of shelves,
but, You couldn't use a stand? I was planning to get a stand and putting my pred there but, are they that big and heavy?

Ugh, these guys are shelf divers. It took out my Lone Wolf and Cub, Hot Toys Predator 1 and Battle Damaged Predator 2. Luckily, nothing broke.

I'm starting to get a little frustrated with them. The joints suck. The ankles are extremely weak. On a 6 pound figure, the ankle joints should be much sturdier. They are LOOSE.

It's pretty hard to get a good pose because of how the legs are constructed. Line them up good to have him stand and not tip over, and it looks like he's sticking his belly out. Not to mention that it is extremely difficult to adjust the legs. Add that to the fact that the netting is pretty cheap and flimsy, and soon you'll have tears in the netting like I do. Also, the arms constantly pop out of the shoulders.

Sorry guys, but Hot Toys are still the king.

:mad:

Oh man sorry to hear this stuff. I haven't had any trouble with the two I have standing and I like bending the legs around. I would tell other fans to be careful when you first get it. It is an 80 dollar figure and HT is 170 and maybe we should have a stand come with ours like they did.

Last edited:
Also, the figures stayed in the same spot for 3 days until they fell over. They seemed like they weren't going anywhere, but the weak ankles must have given out.

Isn't the same one the Terminator has in T1? It's been a real bast doing all this 80ies stuff. Is it me or did the 80ies flat out rule? We got the T1 test shots in by the way and I think you'll be very happy with them. I can't wait to see more fan pics of the Predator coming in the next few weeks.

No his jacket is the green one all Nam vets have. It's a signature look for Rambo, hope he gets made. Now if you guys did Rocky and John Carpenter's The Thing, I can cross off two more Grails.

And yes - the 80s RULED!!!!!!!!

it would be great, i like jim cameron's alien warrior the best.
and with your sculpt in 1/4 scale it would be killer!

I'll try to bug Randy on it more and I'd love to see it get made. Aliens is my all time favorite movie and it would be nice to do more stuff for sure.

Pros- sculpt, size (good, could of been alittle bigger), apperance, semi-paint, TRANSLUSENT, nice box, extra palm, removable back pack, articulation ( good, could of been better).
Cons- Too much Translusent(appears to be shiny plastic), paint ( could of been better or like Tankman's false advertising custom made one where he is indoors. That looked fantastic. Netting. Self destruct device can't destruct. Mask gap, mask sceme. No LED. Wire missing from medical kit. (unless Its just Mista clean). Damage marks could of shown more. Dots all over and in the hands could of been more. No blue dots on wrist to show cloak. No yellow dots. From what Iv'e seen, the posability could use some work. Dreds sounds like hard plastic when you move them. Overall detailing could of improved like Kyles photos AGAIN. (I will excuse the fact on not real metal blades and no removable medical kit, and anything involving sounds and electronics)

Just leave please.

I'll try to bug Randy on it more and I'd love to see it get made. Aliens is my all time favorite movie and it would be nice to do more stuff for sure.

bug him daily ,on getting us an aliens alien queen made.
i know you can and would do her justice, mcfarlane's one makes me sick ,still till this day.

All these Suicide Predators are worrying me! Im going to need to fashion some kind of stand or tie P1 to something.

Back