NECA: 1/4 Christopher Reeve Superman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Credit to figures.com for the photo, I was just messing with it :)

From the first couple of pics JRA shared via ToyNews, I thought it was already a decent sculpt, and like some on here I thought only the hair makes it look bad. Good job on the digi-edit, Alyd. The closer, more front-on view of the sculpt also show that the face sculpt is good.

Of course we can't expext a good paint from NECA, but a least it's there.

Also, I doubt that this would be out by May. Perhaps pre-order by May at the latest, release later this year. Keaton Batman I think was also delayed by a few months?

Eh, can't say I'm really seeing Reeve there. The figure looks a bit skinny as well. I know Reeve's weight fluctuated in Superman 1 and 2 as he was still gaining muscle throughout production so it's not exactly an inaccurate portrayal, but I think it would look better if they beefed him up a bit more so he resembled his more ideal, muscular look in the films.

I showed my wife and she said that he looks like he has Graves' disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maybe. i may gamble the $100 bucks on him, neca have done a great job so far with their line. the gary glitter hair cut may need toning down a bit but he is still a pretty cool superman figure. he's not 100% reeve, but this isn't hot toys. so...yeah maybe.

That's good enough for me, specially at this price point. Still front view there's just something about the eyes. Whoever their artist is has a weakness to sculpting eyes. Almost have and evil supes vibe to it.

And why are they posing it in a squatting position? Hands on hips maybe corny but it's iconic and would tie it in better to Reeve's style.

the head sculpt is pretty good. The hair is off. Hopefully NECA will make the necessary changes before it hits the shelves. Worst comes to worst, I will grind down the top of Elvis hair and resculpt it with apoxie sculpt.

I just saw the photos on NECA's website and while the sculpt is indeed decent, you can tell that the proto's rushed (maybe to have it in time for the show) as I find the paintjob as well too poor for a proto.

Well at least there'd be less complaints on the paint apps once we get the final product, as it would be "just like the prototype" :lol

I just saw the photos on NECA's website and while the sculpt is indeed decent, you can tell that the proto's rushed (maybe to have it in time for the show) as I find the paintjob as well too poor for a proto.

Well at least there'd be less complaints on the paint apps once we get the final product, as it would be "just like the prototype" :lol

Yeah the paint job does look very rushed. That \S/ is terrible. His cape also looks like it's made from an old towel.
1300h-Reeve-Superman3-240x300.jpg

The guy looks pretty pissed off too, a hint of his signature smirk would have been a great look for this figure.

6a00d8345158e369e200e553719fa68833-500wi.jpg

Wow. I will wait to see pics of the final production piece, but so far this looks like a major disappointment. You can kind of see a tiny bit of Reeve in the sculpt, but it is not very good overall IMO. Also, like others have said, the expression is a poor choice. He looks too angry. I'm definitely not impressed by what we've seen so far but remain hopeful that perhaps these are just bad photos and that it will end up looking better in hand.

The more I look at it the more I love it. Agreed the head sculpt could be better, but you can definitely see Chris Reeve's likeness. Much quicker release that I expected tho.

Joey.

37008f8cb2454d17c61a46c6375bc1f2.jpg

NECA did a good job with this sculpt here.. Get this guy/gal to redo the Reeve sculpt. I know it's not going to happen but this shows that they have it in them. This might be the best human facial sculpt I've seen from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanted to see what difference the hair was making. I haven't touched the face or anything else, just a tiny adjustment to the hair and, to me, the face looks a totally different shape.

Like I say, I only adjusted the hair. I think it makes a massive difference :)
Neca have a look! This will pretty much fix his head proportions!

It just resemble reeves but not him. Headsculpt could better but I doubt NECA will change anything at this point. Their penguin totally good , why they not become consistent give better likeliness headsculpt for everything else

It just resemble reeves but not him. Headsculpt could better but I doubt NECA will change anything at this point. Their penguin totally good , why they not become consistent give better likeliness headsculpt for everything else

To be fair, even HT and SSC can be very inconsistent when it comes to sculpting, and we pay 2-4x (sometimes even more) for their figures/statues compared to how much we pay for NECA figures. There also are faces/likenesses that can hardly be sculpted well even by the most recognized in the industry. Just look at how Ko Jun's Tony Stark sculpts differ from each other, same goes with Yulli's Arnold sculpts. Some of NECA's Arnold sculpts IMO look much better than some of Yulli's sculpt for the more expensive HT releases.

I wasn't too fond of the Chris Reeve likeness on this NECA 1/4 piece, but then I saw pics of the production release of the Sideshow Chris Reeve PF and...wow. You think the NECA figure looks off? Go look at what Sideshow put out at 4 times the cost. Sideshow's piece makes NECA's look MUCH better by comparison. It's a shame really, considering Sideshow did such a good job on Keaton. NECA got Keaton right, too. Keaton's likeness must be easier to sculpt than Reeve's.

Back