Muhammad Ali vs Bruce Lee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muhammad Ali vs Bruce Lee

• Total voters
As great as Bruce was in his day though, Bruce wouldn't make it in today's world of fighters. If he was fighting even in his weight class of 145, he wouldn't last a round against Chad Mendes let alone Jose Aldo. He would probably be an after thought. I think in the boxing world, Ali in his prime could probably hang with Vitali and Wladimir.

As great as Bruce was in his day though, Bruce wouldn't make it in today's world of fighters. If he was fighting even in his weight class of 145, he wouldn't last a round against Chad Mendes let alone Jose Aldo. He would probably be an after thought. I think in the boxing world, Ali in his prime could probably hang with Vitali and Wladimir.

:lol If Lee was alive today he'd be 10,000x more advanced than he was when he passed away, not only exceptionally stronger, but exceptionally more skilled.

I have no doubt if Bruce lee was still alive and didn't fall to some degenerative disease, he would be an uber fit grand master who could kick just about anyone's butt. Technique, technique, technique

Bruce Lee: author, poet, founded his own martial art school and style. Lived and breathed training, had the body of an 18 year old at age 30.

Mohammad Ali: great smack talker, great boxer, great chin but can't kick, and illiterate.

Ali might have danced like a butterfly, but he would have been launched like a space shuttle after a few kicks or punches from Bruce. As naturally intelligent and as quick as Ali was, he'd be absolutely no match for BL.

There's so many variables it seems ridiculous to say 100% that Bruce Lee would kick Ali's @$$ 100 times out of a 100. If Ali landed a punch and Lee was unable to redirect or deflect it, that'd likely be it. Don't understand why most of you don't seem to have even a modicum of respect for Ali. He was a great fighter and I'm sure if Lee were facing him he wouldn't be as cavalier about his chances as you guys. And I'd say I'm a way bigger Lee fan than Ali, but wow, the amount of disrespect for Ali is ludicrous.

There's so many variables it seems ridiculous to say 100% that Bruce Lee would kick Ali's @$$ 100 times out of a 100. If Ali landed a punch and Lee was unable to redirect or deflect it, that'd likely be it. Don't understand why most of you don't seem to have even a modicum of respect for Ali. He was a great fighter and I'm sure if Lee were facing him he wouldn't be as cavalier about his chances as you guys. And I'd say I'm a way bigger Lee fan than Ali, but wow, the amount of disrespect for Ali is ludicrous.

I think the respect given is equal to the respect earned. Bruce Lee utterly immersed himself so much more in what he did than Ali. Both were phenoms, but Bruce had a level of dedication and refinement that remains unrivaled in modern sports imo. Besides that, boxing is technically pretty limited compared to the martial arts in general. I just don't see him withstanding an all out attack by Lee.

I think the respect given is equal to the respect earned. Bruce Lee utterly immersed himself so much more in what he did than Ali. Both were phenoms, but Bruce had a level of dedication and refinement that remains unrivaled in modern sports imo. Besides that, boxing is technically pretty limited compared to the martial arts in general. I just don't see him withstanding an all out attack by Lee.
Would the same be true of Tyson in his prime? When does weight and power overcome discipline, technique and training (and not like Tyson or Ali didn't have those qualities either, but let's say when does raw power overcome Lee's more refined attributes)? I concur Lee could beat Ali a good amount of the time but I don't think he'd be an overwhelming juggernaut that Ali could never withstand.

Apparently being a knowledgeable realist = disrespect. :cuckoo:
Wasn't necessarily referring to your posts, though I think you underestimate Ali if you think he'd get punk'd by Lee everytime. I'm referring more to statements that Ali's only skill was being a loudmouth, etc.

Apparently being a knowledgeable realist = disrespect. :cuckoo:

:lol Such is the SSF forum life. :dunno

Would the same be true of Tyson in his prime? When does weight and power overcome discipline, technique and training (and not like Tyson or Ali didn't have those qualities either, but let's say when does raw power overcome Lee's more refined attributes)? I concur Lee could beat Ali a good amount of the time but I don't think he'd be an overwhelming juggernaut that Ali could never withstand.

Lee once sent a 200+ lb man flying 15 feet from one of his punches. Technique is everything in professional sports. I'd agree if Tyson/Ali/Foreman had the same level of technique and skill with their power/weight/height advantage but you've got to remember that the human body is not made for combat and martial arts is a clinic on exploiting every possible weakness in a fight. Boxing doesn't even come close.

Last edited:
:lol Such is the SSF forum life. :dunno
I love how it's just a fact for you guys that Lee would indisputably win. *shrugs* It'd probably be a neat topic for one of those shows that calculates the odds of ninjas vs samurai or Italian vs Russian mafia (forget the name) as at least they'd go into ratios instead of a straight up or down vote.

Many people don't realise how ineffective kicking really is in a bout context. Kicks are mostly good for surprise, against an unprepared or off-balance opponent. Every time you deliver a kick you sacrifice balance to some degree. Lee's kicks against a prepared Ali wouldn't be the advantage many seem to presume.

love lee but he was an actor, never tried and tested...... ali was, even in an mma match cant see how lee would have a hope in trying to get ali down, this was before the technical approach of gracie ju jitsu, being able to perform an armbar in demos aint the same as getting a guy much bigger and stronger down and positioned, on the feet hes dead.

Bruce Lee has been raised to the level of superhuman in pop culture, of course he was going to run away with this poll. He was in amazing condition and a skilled martial artist, but anyone who thinks he would've just walked all over Ali is being ridiculous.

tumblr_mopc93mwSP1rdsiguo1_250.gif

half time show

love lee but he was an actor, never tried and tested...... ali was, even in an mma match cant see how lee would have a hope in trying to get ali down, this was before the technical approach of gracie ju jitsu, being able to perform an armbar in demos aint the same as getting a guy much bigger and stronger down and positioned, on the feet hes dead.

Those who know a bit about his history - outside of the mythology - know that Lee was tested plenty of times. No mistake, he was the goods in a fight. He was a fighter first and an actor second. Actually an actor third. He was better on the dance floor than in front of the camera.

Boxing simply does not give men the tools to defend themselves against well trained martial artists. They are extremely limited in what they can attack with and how they can counter.

If you voted for Lee, that tells me that you clearly have no idea just how big a guy Ali was/is and just how hard a true heavyweight boxer hits. For someone like Lee to be effective, he would have to get in close. A skilled boxer knows how to keep an opponent at a distance. More importantly though, a heavyweight, not even considering the talent of Ali, hits so incredibly hard, Lee wouldn't be able to last very long. One flush punch and Lee would be done. Don't get me wrong, Lee was an incredible talent, extremely quick, incredibly strong, but he was only about 5'7" and 135 lbs. Ali was 6'3", weighed 210 and had an 84" reach. The reach alone would have kept him safe, but the punching power would have ended it.

This doesn't even have to be Ali. Ernie Shavers, Sonny Liston, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Jack Dempsey, Max Baer, George Foreman, Ken Norton, even Tyson would have put Lee out.

Last edited:
This thread is almost as realistic as the Goku vs Superman thread. :lol

If you voted for Lee, that tells me that you clearly have no idea just how big a guy Ali was/is and just how hard a true heavyweight boxer hits. For someone like Lee to be effective, he would have to get in close. A skilled boxer knows how to keep an opponent at a distance. More importantly though, a heavyweight, not even considering the talent of Ali, hits so incredibly hard, Lee wouldn't be able to last very long. One flush punch and Lee would be done. Don't get me wrong, Lee was an incredible talent, extremely quick, incredibly strong, but he was only about 5'7" and 135 lbs. Ali was 6'3", weighed 210 and had an 84" reach. The reach alone would have kept him safe, but the punching power would have ended it.

Lee wouldn't be limited to the upper body of his opponent and Lee's hands and legs easily trump the non grasping fists of the boxer. It's not that these boxers couldn't do any damage but the sport itself is designed to prolong the combat for safety and entertainment's sake. Martial Arts go right to in to disable or kill you as fast and as directly as possible.

Lee would absolutely destroy these guys on that principle alone before you even get to his prodigious strength, speed, reflexes and overall conditioning.

Boxing simply does not give men the tools to defend themselves against well trained martial artists. They are extremely limited in what they can attack with and how they can counter.

No, can't agree with that. The more accomplished boxers have some of the best balance and footwork around. Their punching combinations can be devastating. They are fit, quick, strong and agile. There's nothing limited about a good boxer.

Back