Mr. Robot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have USA, but if this show is based on the song by Styx, then I'll definitely be watching it one of these days. Can't believe it took this long.

so someone tell me this, if Tyrell is not just another imaginary person, how is it a few episodes back, Tyrell and his dad had a meeting in a SUV?

It's just exactly like the Narrator/Tyler Durden dynamic in Fight Club. The narrator is Tyler in FC though he just doesn't know it until the end. He becomes Tyler when he needs to convey strength and talk about Project Mayhem to all of his disciples. It's the same way with Eliot. When he met with Tyrell there he did indeed "become" his dad or when he went over to Romero's and intimidated him. Eliot slips in and out of his dad when its absolutely necessary to appear confident and to lead. Its all in Eliot's head after all. Eliot uses his "dad" as both safety net and to lead him when he needs to. He just doesn't know it sometimes.

Eliot slips in and out of his dad when its absolutely necessary

1p7w4JR.png

Yeah, I thought that was funny, like the writer's wink in case you guessed it -- Elliott even looked right to camera for the line.

The only thing that bugs me from time to time is the off-center framing of single shots where the subject is crammed into the 'wrong' corner of the frame. I'm sure there's a thoughtful 'choice' there but I don't get it and it distracts me when they get too close to my TV's edge.

I love the extreme framing that you're talking about! I'm guessing their choice to do that is to do exactly what it did to you--it bugged you. I'm guessing it was meant to make the viewer feel uncomfortable with the character getting cropped off the edge. It created visual tension in the composition and it also reinforces the character being isolated and "on the edge" of society, of his life, of his mind, etc.

Yeah, no I get the symbolism... but after awhile it gets tiresome. To me it's one of those things that sound better when pitching the idea. If I'm supposed to think "he's on the edge of society" every time they frame something that way, its seems fairly childish. Tension should be created by the story/dialogue... not persistent framing. Using it once or twice, great. After that, I'd say try some other types of framing to get similar results.

Truthfully, many of the scenes the technique is used in are not even scenes that require tension or "edge of society" inference.

Yeah, no I get the symbolism... but after awhile it gets tiresome. To me it's one of those things that sound better when pitching the idea. If I'm supposed to think "he's on the edge of society" every time they frame something that way, its seems fairly childish. Tension should be created by the story/dialogue... not persistent framing. Using it once or twice, great. After that, I'd say try some other types of framing to get similar results.

Truthfully, many of the scenes the technique is used in are not even scenes that require tension or "edge of society" inference.

I get what you mean. The metaphor could be viewed as heavy handed. But I think the kind of extreme framing is just part of the overall look of the series, like the green filters throughout, as opposed to using it sparingly in order to make a distinct point. Personally I like it because it gives the series a very unique look and enforces the ideas and themes going on in the show. It's visually dynamic and different, and those are things that are rare on TV shows. Usually you only see that kind of careful consideration in movies.

I also think I read somewhere or something that USA Network dictates that its exclusive shows include shots with a lot of negative space and asymmetrical framing so they all have a branded "look", and they can easily add their logo for promos. You can see that kind of framing on other USA shows like Suits and White Collar, but certainly not as extreme as in Mr. Robot. I tried to look for something online that supported my claim but I couldn't find anything, so maybe I dreamt it or Christian Slater approached me on the subway and told me that story. ;)

Signature looks... Interesting. Kind of like the CW makes all their shows look like Melrose Place crossed with a daytime soap.

So after today's shootings in Virginia, USA pulled tonight's finale of Mr. Robot since apparently there's a scene in there that's similar to what happened today. They'll air it next week.

So after today's shootings in Virginia, USA pulled tonight's finale of Mr. Robot since apparently there's a scene in there that's similar to what happened today. They'll air it next week.

That's got to be extremely weird for the creators. The very same day it is to air.

Now the guessing begins.

When this episode airs next week they better put forth a few answers. I'll tune out if I think they're following the LOST writer's guide (make up crazy sh-t every week with no plan to eventually tie it together).

I stuck out Dexter until the end, no payoff. I'm not going to wait for Elliot to become a lumberjack. Next week is when I decide if I bother with season 2.

That's got to be extremely weird for the creators. The very same day it is to air.

Now the guessing begins.

It is. And at the end of the day, the episode may end up being changed because of that and this so called "scene" in question removed which I find to be very questionable. Hey, we live in a violent world. Always have. Reality mirroring art and vice versa has always been an issue but it should not be one that requires sanitizing or censoring content. I bring up the Channel 4 in the UK's series "Utopia" again. There's a scene in an episode that was aired not long after Sandy Hook and totally freaked the British public out when it was aired but it was a scene that was utterly necessary to the plot and showed just how far the antagonists would go to play out their agenda. If that scene had been expunged, the impact of what went down in that series would have been lessened, especially to the arc of one of the main characters.

Well, I just jumped on the hype train and watched episode 1 and I must say, I'm pretty impressed. The GF thought it was a little too dark but I liked the overall tone and pacing. Will binge watch the rest of season one pretty soon here.

What a finale! So much on display, so much to take in and what an ending. Beautifully done and utterly stunning. Phillip Price definitely puts the E in EVILCORP. And Angela. Her arc is exactly like Wilson Wilson's in Utopia--going from being brutalized by the very force that has caused so much tragedy in her life to being moved into its inner circle, possibly to become a major part of its overall machinations. Truly disturbing.

But who is knocking at Eliot's door?

I'm afraid I was underwhelmed by the finale. The event we've all been waiting for happened off-screen... and the rest seemed like a lot of set-up for the next season (guy with the dog, Angela, meeting Tyrell's wife).

I was as disconnected from this episode as Elliot was.

Back