1/6 MMS DX 02 - TDK- BATMAN full spec and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS DX 02 - TDK- BATMAN full spec and pics

I completely agree with you. We have to keep in mind that the prototype figures are always miles ahead of the production figures. I have another example, what about the Joker V1 with purple outfit. Look how purple the suit was and the chain was perfect length and once it was released we could not tell whether the coat was black or purple and had to put it in the correct lighting to distinguish also the chain was way too short.

Yeah but the Spirit sucks anyways, HT just wanted to do justice to the film. :monkey5

Hmmm I think there are a few people who could have been happy with the head as it was, but as I recall, Only a few people had them in hand. And SO BAD is an overstatement. It looked weird and off, not terrible. Also, HT have been experimenting with a new PVC method and they're still trying to get it right. Maybe it was from fan pressure but I have a feeling that they weren't up to HT's own standards so they recalled them and probably would have done so regardless. This is a good example of why HT has been developing a solid reputation, not a counter example to that.

We have about three to four more months left until its released. If they don't make these changes I'll be disappointed but it's still a great figure, the best Joker out there no doubt. And I have no reason to believe that the 'newer' police joker is even new and neither do you unless you know something I don't. As far as we know it's probably the same as the prototype and I doubt it's a final production piece. It's probably the lighting that's not very flattering and lighting and angle can do a lot. The hat looks weird though.

Mr. Fatman? He's really not that bad. Do you have one in hand? I'm sure the people that do think he could go for a DEFINITE resize and he is a bit bulky but a lot of that has to do with the cape and optical illusion and he's still enjoyed. With a DX there's no real excuse to not get it near perfect though. And of course the TDK figure's pics are the older ones with Product not final, the final product is of the one in your hands and in the photo thread. I think all of their pics on the website are of spec pics and those are of prototypes. Dent hasn't been updated either and again that little change in paint apps is for the better.

so yeah I don't really understand your points, you basically give examples of situations where HT does update their products and for the better. The final TDK is better, final John Connor is better, the updates to the clothing on Joker so far are better, and the Spirit still sucks.

Thanks for your reply.

1stly about the spirit ==> you said that HT just wants to do "justice" to the film. Well, it's obvious that the demand is not that great and thus they don't need to put too much resources into the figure. It's all business, after all.

The John Conner Figure. Well I have friends who have it and I have seen it in person. If you got the figure you will know what I mean...it truly does fall way under your normal HT expectations. IT looks like a cheaper sculpt from other co.s but not a 150 US dollar figure sculpt. You are right that HT does take a positive step to correct this situation. But once again does it make you think: Why would they make such a mistake? Would they amend it if they were the Spirit figures? Again, it's because many people who received it in Hong Kong complained and YES i agree they took a positive step but if they could stop it earlier, then it's better for you and for THEM (HT) as well so to lower their costs.

Yes I stand by my point. Mr. Fatman. Of course I have the batman figure in hand. I have ALL of the HT batman figures since obviously I am a bat-fan. I am one of those who pre-order once they are available since 1) HT makes good figures and I am so happy that they are releasing good quality bat figures 2) I live in Hong Kong and to make matters worse, close to the Toy Hunters shop. I have to also stress my point that I am a HT fan and that's WHY I would want to see them perfect their products, RATHER than making something which is good.. but always something missing kind of figure... especially, as I stress, this is the SECOND time round. .with the BLU-RAY and Pictures which they could watch COUNTLESS TIMES for reference purposes.

So Yes I am indeed one of the very first batch to receive ALL of the batman figures (also to coming DX Joker, of course) when it becomes available. I am satisfied with ALL the batman figures (yes, even the Joker v.1) until after the medicom batman figures came out. It's not that bad, sure, but it's far from being a great batman figure. That's all I am saying. Now my batman is on the batpod now, so it looks better as it does not need to stand and has his E-cup chest bulging happily with his bra.

Well my point is, you have to notice that HT quality has slipped a bit recently from the above examples, and if we are LUCKY they could still REDEEM that situation AFTER you get the figure (which BOTH parties might try to avoid). and THUS , it's better to make them pay attention to the MAJOR issues that they could EASILY FIX at this point. Hope you now understand. Thanks again

The John Conner Figure. Well I have friends who have it and I have seen it in person. If you got the figure you will know what I mean...it truly does fall way under your normal HT expectations. IT looks like a cheaper sculpt from other co.s but not a 150 US dollar figure sculpt. You are right that HT does take a positive step to correct this situation. But once again does it make you think: Why would they make such a mistake? Would they amend it if they were the Spirit figures? Again, it's because many people who received it in Hong Kong complained and YES i agree they took a positive step but if they could stop it earlier, then it's better for you and for THEM (HT) as well so to lower their costs.

I think it's become clear what happened with the John Connor figure. HT's announced that John is the first figure to use a new production material for the headsculpt. They feel the new material is better for realism, however, I imagine being the first one, they didn't anticipate the paint job not taking as well as their previous heads and likely didn't watch the production process to ensure things and came to find it wasn't up to their standard and that's why they went back and redid it. They realized it came out poor and went back to fix the situation, a learning curve that thankfully we'll not have to suffer for.

i can wait for my retinal articulated batman that i will commonly pose and display in the dark!

I think it's become clear what happened with the John Connor figure. HT's announced that John is the first figure to use a new production material for the headsculpt. They feel the new material is better for realism, however, I imagine being the first one, they didn't anticipate the paint job not taking as well as their previous heads and likely didn't watch the production process to ensure things and came to find it wasn't up to their standard and that's why they went back and redid it. They realized it came out poor and went back to fix the situation, a learning curve that thankfully we'll not have to suffer for.

Actually... the john conner sculpt is not the first figure headsculpt to feature that plastic. They just didn't expect that john will turn out exceptionally bad... and btw... give it a thought... these heads are produced in a rather large quantities.. and before they actually ship to Toy Hunters in HK, Howard or any representative of HT would have to say OK before it can be shipped. Even when they arrived at Toy Hunters, they didnt think there's any problem and the figure was still in buyer's hands!!!! (which led to numerous complaints). However, they only correct it AFTER the numerous complaints.

I am not bashing hottoys as I have said I am a fan of them and bought alot of stuff from them. But one has to realise the true fact is that if nothing was said and everybody didnt think that the john conner sculpt has its substantial problems, then HT will not have done that step. So again, rather ACKNOWLEDGE and make it clear to them what the problem is.. before it's too late... I do hope the end product will satisfy all of us.. and seriously I am not being nitpicking.. I just hope the body will look more like the movie and the suit texture to be better.. that's all I'd ask.. I don't even care about the details they miss on the cowl. Because I strongly believe that the figure as a whole has to look good.. rather than a figure which has great details on just the head but doesn't match the body's proportions..

Well my point is, you have to notice that HT quality has slipped a bit recently from the above examples, and if we are LUCKY they could still REDEEM that situation AFTER you get the figure (which BOTH parties might try to avoid). and THUS , it's better to make them pay attention to the MAJOR issues that they could EASILY FIX at this point. Hope you now understand. Thanks again

Good stuff, I understand now :banana

I agree with your points, well said.

Forget the current HT and Medicom figures. The best is Mattel's attempt.

l_18418762822da73a57cfcc4ca3ce3a00.jpg

To G'c,

You live in Hong Kong? Great! You could go to HT's offices and personally talk to Yulli and rest of the creative team and voice out your opinions. You don't have to enter their offices, just wait for them outside their door during closing time.

As for your Fatman issue, what you're really seeing is an optical illusion when the head is too small -- it makes the body appear larger than it really is. For me, the body's proportions is really not a problem. The head is too small especially when it's posed next to their Joker figure which has a normal-sized head. In reality, anyone wearing a rigid Batman cowl (as is with Keaton's and Bale's) will have their heads appear larger to give comfortable room for the wearer's ears and to not press in too much the wearer's hair that it'll give premature balding.

I believe that's what HT needs to replicate: the enlarged look of a head wearing a Batman cowl.

Head resizing is one of the many tools we comic-book artists use to make a character look massive (by adding a proportionately small head, look at the Hulk) or lanky (by putting a proportionately big head, like, um, the Leader) and I understand why HT did their DK ver.1 the way it is-- they were going for a dynamic and heroic look for their figure.

P.S: I'm not a Hulk fan.

To G'c,

You live in Hong Kong? Great! You could go to HT's offices and personally talk to Yulli and rest of the creative team and voice out your opinions. You don't have to enter their offices, just wait for them outside their door during closing time.

As for your Fatman issue, what you're really seeing is an optical illusion when the head is too small -- it makes the body appear larger than it really is. For me, the body's proportions is really not a problem. The head is too small especially when it's posed next to their Joker figure which has a normal-sized head. In reality, anyone wearing a rigid Batman cowl (as is with Keaton's and Bale's) will have their heads appear larger to give comfortable room for the wearer's ears and to not press in too much the wearer's hair that it'll give premature balding.

I believe that's what HT needs to replicate: the enlarged look of a head wearing a Batman cowl.

Head resizing is one of the many tools we comic-book artists use to make a character look massive (by adding a proportionately small head, look at the Hulk) or lanky (by putting a proportionately big head, like, um, the Leader) and I understand why HT did their DK ver.1 the way it is-- they were going for a dynamic and heroic look for their figure.

P.S: I'm not a Hulk fan.

Standing outside their office? Nah .. it's ok... I am not THAT nerdy ... yet haha :D... I will just sit here and write in my free time and they will see these most probably anywayz.

I think you've got a great point.. maybe just make the head bigger .... and that will be good for us AND also save up their costs as well. And I don't think HT did their DK ver. 1 only for a dynamic and heroic look for their figure. It's more like they don't have the time/ resource material to pull off the right one (remember at that time they are still using the old tru-type body with slightly narrower shoulders). The batman look heroic in the movie even if he's slimmer and standing still ..... so it doesnt matter whether it's heroic/dynamic (in fact, if they make it more accurately, the dynamic factor comes out as it will look good, instead of stiff and fat, in more poses) ... but just more true to the movie look/proportions will be fine.

Actually... the john conner sculpt is not the first figure headsculpt to feature that plastic.

So which head was the first one to use that material? HT says John Connor. Proof they're lying?

Standing outside their office? Nah .. it's ok... I am not THAT nerdy ... yet haha :D... I will just sit here and write in my free time and they will see these most probably anywayz.

I think you've got a great point.. maybe just make the head bigger .... and that will be good for us AND also save up their costs as well. And I don't think HT did their DK ver. 1 only for a dynamic and heroic look for their figure. It's more like they don't have the time/ resource material to pull off the right one (remember at that time they are still using the old tru-type body with slightly narrower shoulders). The batman look heroic in the movie even if he's slimmer and standing still ..... so it doesnt matter whether it's heroic/dynamic (in fact, if they make it more accurately, the dynamic factor comes out as it will look good, instead of stiff and fat, in more poses) ... but just more true to the movie look/proportions will be fine.

There's a picture of the HT Joker, Two Face and DK ver.1 side by side in the HT Two Face thread, but I haven't had any luck finding it. It clearly shows how undersized the Two Face and Batman heads are compared to the Joker's.

But I know it's too late to make suggestions about head sizes now that the Batman DX prototype is complete. At this point, slimming down the body is the most obvious thing to do. Anyway, the new cowl correctly looks larger in relation to the face.

Btw, do you also own a Medicom TDK? Just asking. Thanks...

So which head was the first one to use that material? HT says John Connor. Proof they're lying?

I think if u started to notice... the headsculpt material started to change from two-face if I am correct. That's why the paint apps is starting not to "stick" on the headsculpt. A simple comparison can be compared between the two face sculpt and the given bruce wayne sculpt or joker sculpt. The older material likes paint much more and when applied gives a textured finish. The new head, when in hand, is not too bad but you could already see significant changes. For the two face it's not as bad since you are really focusing on the damaged side mostly.. which a plasticy, shinier feel works OK, but since I have seen the prototype in real person and got the final product, it's safe to say the margin difference between the proto and the end product is much bigger than previous TDK figures. This new material is not bad per se, but on alot of heads the paint does not stick. A good example that the paint worked is on samuel L jackson, where because the skin is darker the effect is minimal. Hope this helps

There's a picture of the HT Joker, Two Face and DK ver.1 side by side in the HT Two Face thread, but I haven't had any luck finding it. It clearly shows how undersized the Two Face and Batman heads are compared to the Joker's.

But I know it's too late to make suggestions about head sizes now that the Batman DX prototype is complete. At this point, slimming down the body is the most obvious thing to do. Anyway, the new cowl correctly looks larger in relation to the face.

Btw, do you also own a Medicom TDK? Just asking. Thanks...

Yes I do own a medicom TDK . Although the paint app on the face sucks and the head is abit too thin.... overall the figure looks and "feels" more like the character in the movie if you know what i mean.. :) (this is a bold statement for me to make since i HATED medicom figures which are trying to portray real human beings)

I think if u started to notice... the headsculpt material started to change from two-face if I am correct. That's why the paint apps is starting not to "stick" on the headsculpt. A simple comparison can be compared between the two face sculpt and the given bruce wayne sculpt or joker sculpt. The older material likes paint much more and when applied gives a textured finish. The new head, when in hand, is not too bad but you could already see significant changes. For the two face it's not as bad since you are really focusing on the damaged side mostly.. which a plasticy, shinier feel works OK, but since I have seen the prototype in real person and got the final product, it's safe to say the margin difference between the proto and the end product is much bigger than previous TDK figures. This new material is not bad per se, but on alot of heads the paint does not stick. A good example that the paint worked is on samuel L jackson, where because the skin is darker the effect is minimal. Hope this helps

Two-Face definitely used a different material than previous heads, but I do not believe it's the same as Connor.

The Connor head looks to have strong detailing and by HT's own words, that's the purpose of the new material.

The Dent and Two-Face portraits are the softest human portraits I've gotten from HT in years. In some artsy lighting it can look very lifelike, but in a lot of lighting, it looks less realistic than most HT portraits.

We'll see how the corrected Connor looks in hand, but based on HT's images, I do believe this will be the first figure to use this particular new material.

Two-Face definitely used a different material than previous heads, but I do not believe it's the same as Connor.

The Connor head looks to have strong detailing and by HT's own words, that's the purpose of the new material.

The Dent and Two-Face portraits are the softest human portraits I've gotten from HT in years. In some artsy lighting it can look very lifelike, but in a lot of lighting, it looks less realistic than most HT portraits.

We'll see how the corrected Connor looks in hand, but based on HT's images, I do believe this will be the first figure to use this particular new material.

What I mean is the non-corrected conner head seem to be the same material as the two-face head. The new head that they are replacing should be a newer material.

What I mean is the non-corrected conner head seem to be the same material as the two-face head. The new head that they are replacing should be a newer material.

I agree. The original Conner head looks to be of the same material as Two-Face, Harvey Dent, Tony Stark, etc. The older material looked fine for characters such as the Octopus (who had dark skin) and Dutch (who had camo) but looked bad for the most part. Can't wait to see the new material for Cop Joker.

Ahhh, gotcha, that would make sense why it looks the way it does in some of the photos posted here.

Remember when we first saw the prototype images of the Dent head? I thought it looked amazing. Ditto with the Mark 1 Tony portrait with its slightly sweaty appearance. But when the production and in-hand photos started showing up the result was disparate and disappointing, to say the least. Same goes with HT's James Dean, Goemon, and The Spirit (although I didn't really care about the latter license). Octopus looks great though.

I'm glad they're apparently moving on. Hopefully the Marcus, Chris Redfield, and Albert Wesker figures utilize this new material, but they're all releasing this month so I don't know if HT has made the switch early enough for these figures.

yeah The proto pics always look amazing - the headsculpts outstanding - then when the mass produced figure comes out, its lost about 25% of its amazingness

yeah The proto pics always look amazing - the headsculpts outstanding - then when the mass produced figure comes out, its lost about 25% of its amazingness

And we used to be able to count on them to have their mass produced figs be as good or better than the protos. I hope they can continue this...because I hate asking myself how much the actual figure will differ from the prototype, because I never used to need to do this with Hot Toys.

Back